philippines :: general

I see. I understand that now, and I'm looking at U San Francisco and San Diego State. The only thing is, my grandfather is offering to pay for all of my tuition if I attend school there, so that means I would have alot of money for a beautiful condo, and more spending money then I ever had here. So now the question is,

Dorming in San Francisco, or living it up in Makati?

hmm, well are you going to be self-supporting after you finish college in the Philippines if you decide to move to Manila? Because in that case, you might have to consider that you'll be getting paid less there in Manila than you could be if you stayed in the states.

My cousin recommended that I should definitely stay in the states or at least have a job here making dollars and then turning around and investing in things such buying property in Manila, Makati, Boracy, etc. In that case your dollars will go- as you know already- way farther in the Phillippines.

to get it straight, i dont plan to live in manila for the rest of my life, i only want to stay there for the time i go to school. you see, i fell in love with makati when i went there, and i saw it as a place where i could see myself going to school and living for a couple of years. i fell in love with the makati nightlife there, for those who can relate. is the night life at san francisco good? because i know the drinking age in the philippines is less than it is over here.

Man, I'm vacationing here right now, and I was in Makati a couple of hours ago, and I wouldn't reccomend moving here.

Like everyone's said before, you're not going to live that great of a life 'cause you're earning in pesos. The only reason why everything there seems so cheap is cause you're not earning money in pesos. If you start working here, you'll start earning pesos rather than dollars and the money situation gets really different. So unless you already have a lot of dough saved up for spending, you should probably stay in the states.

Aside from money, you're probably gonna get holed up in Makati, and while it's nice and all, there's really nothing much outside the city unless you plan to travel to some resort + beach down south every so often.

Oh, and yeah, you'll probably get somewhat exploited if you're obviously a foreigner by like, un-metered taxi drivers. And the weather sucks. I hate how humid it is here, shower and as soon as you step outside of an air conditioned room you start to get stick + sweaty.

And the education isnt up to par as other asian countries and to colleges in teh states. So going there for the education isn't such a great idea.

because i know the drinking age in the philippines is less than it is over here.

That hasn't stopped me :P

Makati is def. a nice area, but like everyone else has said I would stick to US schools and then after you graduate maybe you can live there for a while. Unless you are trying to work in the Philippines after you graduate than I wouldn't consider schooling there as you can get better, high paying jobs if you goto a US school and work in the US. Those condos they are building above greenbelt sure are nice though...

On a side note, Michelle Madrigal??!?!??? That girl is SMASHING hot...did you really get to meet her?

HAHAHA... The change isnt that bad... If you absolutely need to live like you are in the states, constant WANTS rather than needs, better you stay there...

Im content with where Im at... But, I do need a job to make ends work.

The night life in SF would be more hectic, because everyone is trying to prove something. Here, people just enjoy. Though there are a few who really piss me off... Almost been in a couple of fights, security guards, guys in the club, guys going in the club, etc etc... I guess Im too aggressive when Im drunk... Haha...

But if people can help point me in the direction for work, that'll be great.

I'll PM anyone in here who suggested something.

Thanks...

BTW Im getting annoyed with all you short Filipinos with umbrellas flooding the sidewalk... Everyones umbrella is eye level to me, and it makes me worried...

You wont get jacked... If you look frail, then yea...

Taxis havent given me any problems... Some got owned by me...

Some guys meter broke, and I had to take a ride from Recto station to La Salle Benilde, asked me how much I usually pay... BSed him sed 70, told me 90. I sed sure. Hit mad traffic, woulda at least cost 150-180, only paid him 100 haha. Im great...

But yea... I love it here, Im already used to the life style...

So... Why not...

Shopping here is ok, depending how brand whore you wanna be...

Btw, Im right next to La Salle TAFT...

My routine DEFINATELY changed...

To working at Self Edge in San Francisco, riding my bike everyday, friends, blah blah blah...

To going to the internet cafe waiting for my girlfriend daily, cuz I have NOTHING to do, hence looking for a job, desperately...

But... Its ok with me... I accept the lifestyle, very laid back... Not as superficial as I was in the states... Eventho I really want most of my clothes over here, just because Im sick of looking the same everyday... Especially since I do the samethings practically everyday...

But, its great... Im satisfied...

Shopping here is ok, depending how brand whore you wanna be...

Btw, Im right next to La Salle TAFT...

My routine DEFINATELY changed...

To working at Self Edge in San Francisco, riding my bike everyday, friends, blah blah blah...

To going to the internet cafe waiting for my girlfriend daily, cuz I have NOTHING to do, hence looking for a job, desperately...

But... Its ok with me... I accept the lifestyle, very laid back... Not as superficial as I was in the states... Eventho I really want most of my clothes over here, just because Im sick of looking the same everyday... Especially since I do the samethings practically everyday...

But, its great... Im satisfied...

Jan please come back. Every time i go to the city, i don't run into you anymore. Its not the same anymore :(

But I hate you San Jose people...

Just kidding...

Fuck sandos x tsinelas... My dumbass wears jeans and shirts all the time... I got a mean Dior farmers tan goin on... Esp around the neck line... FUUUUCK...

I'll be visiting the Bay in January, dont worry gang...

SUPERGAYS UNITE!

But foreal someone help me with a job please...

Visualist for a store, people watever... HELP...

But if people can help point me in the direction for work, that'll be great.

From my experience, it really depends on what type of work are you looking at and what qualifications you have at the moment. Depending on the industry you are looking at, a degree might not be so important but it is a big plus/must if you are looking to work for MNCs (shit, degrees aren't even enough nowadays, you've gotta have all the good records, extracurricular stuff too).

The most important thing in Manila (well Philippines) thou is connects, I mean its the same all over the world, but proper connects will go a looong way, I believe moreso than a lot of countries. Sometimes a good recommendation will even be better than a uber fancy resume ;)

Haha, it seems like my plans could be saved. Turns out my school of choice, the University of San Francisco, has a study abroad program that allows me to head to Manila for a semester and study there. What are the odds? Has anyone ever done a study abroad program before?

IMHO thats a much better option, you get a taste of how schooling in Manila will be. However I highly suggest you finish up studies in the US, get some experience and if you are still really interested in Manila then head there to work for an MNC or a big conglomerate, they can probably pay you better but maybe still not as high as US pay. After or if you get tired of it, then at least you can have an option to move to wherever or return to the US. Or if you fall in love with the place, at least with your US degree (companies being the racists bastards they are haha, but some really look for people who have degrees in the US) you have an edge in getting better (high paying) jobs.

Sorry for the long replies, but I hope it helps somehow :D

I think the longest I can live in the Philippines is ..maybe 4 months.

Some guidelines if any one of you also decides to move to the Philippines:

- Watch out for muggers..theyre everywhere

- Never walk around at night by youself...unless your aware of your surrondings.

- Get use to the humidity...drink plently of water. The weather over there can be VERY irritating.

- When your shopping in markets/ flea markets, always barter with the seller. Most, if not all the time, they will lower the price on the goods they are trying to sell you..

- If you have family, stick close to them...it can be very lonely at times being by yourself.

- Buy extra "Tipid" cards...that way you don't have to go to the convience store to keep buying em'.

- Get use to the crowdiness in festivals, markets, malls, etc

- Get to know your neighbors...some are generous, and can help you if you have any problems, and some are rude.

- Get use to people begging for spare change..

I'll update this later....glad to see you accepting the lifestyle over there stuntastic. Hit up Boracay yet?

i hate big upping myself, but last time i was in the philippines, girls were throwing numbers at me. i would get an envelope with a little note and a pic of them in it. i had a couple of marriage proposals. it was crazy. a mom even gave me a pic of her daughter who looked super young. i had a lot of fun there and would love to visit again. but, i don't think i could ever live there.

it was pretty dirty and 3rd world. this was a couple of years ago though, so maybe it's better now? good luck.

aziz, thats all the info they need,but i added to it..

I think the longest I can live in the Philippines is ..maybe 4 months.

Some guidelines if any one of you also decides to move to the Philippines:

- Watch out for muggers..theyre everywhere..they will not hesitate to take your life for your shoes and money.so dont be a hard ass.

Well, I'm not practically from LA, I'm more from the valley, so I have yet to have had that big city experience yet. I mean, I visited Makati a few weeks ago and I fell in love with everything there. It was a beautiful city with beautiful people, and not to mention Greenbelt was a great time. Club Absinth is awesome, anyone else ever been there? I hooked up with some celebrity out there, it was great. She said she's on ASAP on Sundays or something like that.

Can entertain yourself for a day at greenbelt and not spend much while doing it!

Those condos they are building above greenbelt sure are nice though...

On a side note, Michelle Madrigal??!?!??? That girl is SMASHING hot...did you really get to meet her?

i think what the OP said was that he hooked up with her after the club or something. i don't know.. she's not that bad looking.. there's hotter filipina women on ABS-CBN and filipino TV. lol but props to that.

as for the condos.. i TOO (along with a handful of you) was in the Philippines for a couple weeks starting June 19th till July 7th and got back yesterday (for those of you who know how the whole time system works out.. we left there at 7AM on Saturday their time (they're 13 hours ahead) and got to the states at 2PM Saturday (central time)).. the condos in Makati near greenbelt.. LOVE the area btw.. my uncle actually helped design parts of Greenbelt (he's an engineer) and we went around that area.. its completely different from the outskirts of Manila.. really it's like 2 different worlds. but those condos around there.. some of the leasing agents set up tables in the middle of the mall and they were handing out fliers and i got a brochure.. i should scan it some time and show you (to the original poster) but the prices were as follows..

pesos to $ is apparently about 46 PHL pesos = $1 US

STUDIO: php 11,691 USD $255

1 BR: php 13,194 USD $287

2 BR php 28,248 USD $614

2 BR (bi-level) php 30,140 USD $657

2 BR loft php 40,169 USD $878

i'm assuming that's MONTHLY.

these condos/apartments all range from 30 sq meters to 83 sq meters (not sure how that translates into square feet.. but the floor plans on the brochure look HUGE!)

i even joked around with my dad and said.."dad look at this shit.. okay so we (me and him.. i'm helping pay) just signed a lease in Chicago for $1515 a month split between 2 people (got a roomate so it's $757.50 each without utlitlities).. for $878 TOTAL here.. about what? $500-575 maybe total.. each.. with utilities and all that shit.. it's WAY cheaper for a 2 bedroom or any apartment in general in the Philippines in the RICH part of Manila.."

that really blew me away. i was shocked at how cheap living was. and this place apparently is going to have a fitness center and swimming pool along with a huge grand lobby and it's a high rise.. it's in the process of being built. (if you want the info i can scan everything and get it to you through PM)

in any huge US city.. a place like that would run you about $150,000 min. if you wanted to buy and about at least min. $2500 a month if you wanted to rent.

but realize what everyone is saying.. Makati is basically just like say.. a downtown of a big city.. of course it's nice.. but you'll have to go down way farther away and beaches like Boracay/Tagatay/Pagudpud to find something new/exciting and nicer than the outskirts of the city and without a driver.. you'll be going crazy trying to find things and know where things are. Manila is HUGE. luckily my family has connections and we were able to get a couple drivers to take us around for the couple weeks we were there.

good luck with everything!

Taxis havent given me any problems... Some got owned by me...

Some guys meter broke, and I had to take a ride from Recto station to La Salle Benilde, asked me how much I usually pay... BSed him sed 70, told me 90. I sed sure. Hit mad traffic, woulda at least cost 150-180, only paid him 100 haha. Im great...

But yea... I love it here, Im already used to the life style...

So... Why not...

... so you paid about $2 for a taxi ride.. lmfao :rolleyes:

i would have done the same damn thing.. but i don't trust taxi drivers or tricycle drivers.. my cousins told me to stay away from them when i was there.

There called the Ayala Greenbelt Residencies. And they are practically sold out. the first two towers are completely sold out and i dont know about the third tower. Ideally the best location of a condo in Makati. But looking at pictures and shit, it doesnt look that damn sturdy, in comparison to some high-rise condo's where i live (san diego) the structure doesnt seem to be that supported. I wouldnt mind living there but i would want to live on the lower levels just in case of an earthquake or fire. They also wont be finished till im guessing 2008. the second tower a year later...and the prices are American standard prices. $200,000 - $600,000. but if you want to go above and beyond the conventional makati condo. Ayala has another development called One Roxas Triangle and its supposed to be the most luxurious place in Makati, they are only building penthouses and shit. and they are really really expensive even for American Standards $33,000,000 Pesos - $59,000,000 Pesos. but i guess you get what you pay for. because supposedly you need like thumb prints and shit to get into the elevator. unnecessary stuff that you will only need if you are being hunted by rebels or whomever wants to kill you.

Hooking up with Filipina "idols" isn't that hard... relatively speaking. If you're decent looking in Philippines you could be famous doing whatever. So just about every pretty Filipina has something going on celebrity wise... seriously.

Anyhow, I kinda hate Manila and all that compared to the undeveloped parts in the north and south. Now that's "third world charm". God, I can't wait to visit again next summer.

... so you paid about $2 for a taxi ride.. lmfao :rolleyes:

i would have done the same damn thing.. but i don't trust taxi drivers or tricycle drivers.. my cousins told me to stay away from them when i was there.

Haha yea. $2. Not big money compared to US with exchance rates, BUT wen youre making nothing/pesos... Its a lot of money...

For me, Im making nothing and Im living offa 56 pesos starting now.

GREAT...

I need my fuckin box to come from the states.

Samurai denim for sale!!! sz 33 I think... PM PM PM!

Thanks to everyone helpin me out.