philippines :: general

Hey SuFu,

Im considering making the biggest decision of my life. I am currently a high school senior in Los Angeles and I want to attend college in Manila. I'm Filipino, and I'm wondering if any of you guys live there, especially near Makati. Or even better, if anyone here has experienced the same thing that I would like to go through, I just need some more insight on this before I'm sure that I leave. Any help on the night life there would be helpful as well.

Whenever I'm back to the motherland, I always rent out an apartment in Makati. It's nice there because it is central to everything and is very cheap.

But gosh, the heat can still be unbearable.

Well, I'm not practically from LA, I'm more from the valley, so I have yet to have had that big city experience yet. I mean, I visited Makati a few weeks ago and I fell in love with everything there. It was a beautiful city with beautiful people, and not to mention Greenbelt was a great time. Club Absinth is awesome, anyone else ever been there? I hooked up with some celebrity out there, it was great. She said she's on ASAP on Sundays or something like that.

up ot you man whats her name? anyways stay there just move somewere else have you considered tokyo or hongkong or new york?

I gotta agree. The Philippines isn't the best place to study, knowing that there are far better educational institutions in countries near by.

And the Philippines is still a 3rd world country. Dirty everywhere!! Yuck.

Why so much negativity with Manila? I mean I liked the place, is there anything I need to know? Where do you live? I plan to live in a condo out in Makati.

You do remember that the Philippines is an unclean country, but its actually a little bit cleaner than it was a few years ago. Plus theres all the corruption, bad crime on the streets, etc.

Condos are fun, but ask anyone, and most will say that this action is a step down in life.

Im in the same position.

Was only supposed to visit for two weeks, then became three, then school came up. I missed the entrance exam, but Im re-registering this week.

Compared to the states, its a big step down. But if youre willing to try it out, its gonna make you appreciate a lot.

From having a washing machine, hot/cold water showers, TV, all that "luxury," to me having a small apartment with pretty much NOTHING (aside from two electric fans, speakers for my ipod, and working water...) its a sacrifice Im willing to make. If you can do that, hey, good luck.

BUT... If someone can help... I desperately need a job... I have no income watsoever, living off wat money I have left... So I need a job...

I know MYX is having a VJ search... Gonna try for that... VJ STUNTASTIC!?!?!

But my mom told me to try Wowowee... Can someone shed some light?

My aunt had a connection, and there was a job ready and open for my bro, but he turned it down cuz of the gays haha. Im willing to try out Wowowee...

Also, any decent shops to try and find work? I like working boutiques, but only decent one I kno of is Homme Et Femme... But its too uniform for my liking...

I cant stand uniform (HEY MA'AM YES SIR) jobs like that... Picky, but thats my standards...

Stuntastic..I would not want to work in any of the boutiques in Manila...why? because alot of the rich shoppers there are super dooper snooty. I would suggest that you consider working as a stylist or if you're good at designing...work as a visual designer for the stores...I'm sure alot of the stores need some awesome visual displays...Also, try getting into those huge ad agencies...that's where the dough is...I'm sure somebody can hook you up with somebody...Good Luck!

Well since you are a foreigner, I'm sure you can get started in modeling.

You always have agents approaching you in the malls or a friend recommend you as a candidate for castings.

Oh man, I just got back to the states from visiting family in Manila. I loved Makati. I was at Greenbelt most of the time at night, also at Embassy and Cuisines.

My cousin their sells condos in Makati, he brought us to the test units and they were amazing. The top of the line condos in Makati are very reasonably priced, especially if you make good money here in the states because of the exchange rate. Manila has improved over the years and my family there said that its getting better.

If I were you I'd take some of these people's advice and attend college elsewhere, then after you graduate maybe you could re-consider moving to Manila.

I see. I understand that now, and I'm looking at U San Francisco and San Diego State. The only thing is, my grandfather is offering to pay for all of my tuition if I attend school there, so that means I would have alot of money for a beautiful condo, and more spending money then I ever had here. So now the question is,

Dorming in San Francisco, or living it up in Makati?