seksu!

Post your desktops.

^ not windows 7, whodi

and stop getting prebuilts. build your own computer so you don't have to deal with bloatware.

I purchased ParetoLogic on my windows vista computer and it basically got rid of anything that didn't have a purpose. Start up time is fucking fast now and everything is so much smoother.

I also manually deleted an ass load of stuff beforehand.

Fuck Vista.

Next computer I get, iss not going to be a prebuilt. with vista.

^ not windows 7, whodi

and stop getting prebuilts. build your own computer so you don't have to deal with bloatware.

Yeah - I always say use a non-OEM windows CD (OEM= the one provided with a prebuilt computer). You should use a generic one and then install the drivers yourself.

misinformation there.

The OEM CD is the generic version. It's often discounted because it's missing licensing and other retail features, such as a single install limit. Yes it's meant for manufacturers, but it isn't responsible for bloat, it's the company that installs the additional crapware. The CD that a company provides along with a prebuilt system is just their image.

I've used OEM copies a few times, there's little difference between them and retail discs, but like i said there are limits. They become tied to your hardware so you have to technically purchase another, should you build/purchase a different pc and other minor stuff. Otherwise it's the same.

windoze vista itself is bloatware, so many unnecessary steps when trying to do the most simple of tasks (connecting to a network, setting up a printer, etc) they try to dumb it down but make things worse in the process, maybe 7 is better i don't know, not trying to fuck with that nonsense

misinformation there.

The OEM CD is the generic version. It's often discounted because it's missing licensing and other retail features, such as a single install limit. Yes it's meant for manufacturers, but it isn't responsible for bloat, it's the company that installs the additional crapware. The CD that a company provides along with a prebuilt system is just their image.

I've used OEM copies a few times, there's little difference between them and retail discs, but like i said there are limits. They become tied to your hardware so you have to technically purchase another, should you build/purchase a different pc and other minor stuff. Otherwise it's the same.

I get that shit backwards in my head all the time. I meant to say to use the generic install directly from microsoft as opposed to one that's specially imaged by the manufacturer.

^ not windows 7, whodi

these. if you haven't switched to Win7 yet, doit, takes less than 30min. you should also upgrade your boot drive to a SSD if you can, it'll speed your computer up 10x. this goes for Macs too

Cool. What docking app is that?

Rocket Dock

I wish this thread got more love...

^^soundune what calendar app is that? I dig!

hey lando, it's a geektools creation. thanks!

Rocket Dock

I wish this thread got more love...

^^soundune what calendar app is that? I dig!

on the topic of stuff missing from mac to windows, i'm quite pleased with windows 7 but i wish there was an option to force quit an application if you clicked on its icon my mistake.

i think he means a quick way to kill the app while its opening. on macs you just right click > force quit

blm is right though, you could do that, task manager is easier to open real quickly than activity monitor (is the a hotkey shit for this?)

hotkey for task manager = ctrl+shift+esc

edit: and yeah that shit opens fast

yeah I know, I meant on mac do we have one for Activity Monitor

naw there isn't, easiest would be spotlight? which is not so easy when you've got some wildin ass shit covering your whole screen/laggin up your keystrokes

There is... Just open the task manager, go to processes and kill it. :)

yeah i know that but i like to just right click on the icon and click "force close" before it opened. it's not a huge hassle anyway.

29lzloz.jpg

slightly messy

Edited by Junksen

Can anyone recommend any icon packs for the dock? I've never been able to find one that has everything in my dock that doesn't look terrible. All I have is finder, firefox, chrome, email client, chat client, word processing, skype, last.fm, torrent client, calendar, preferences, video client... What are y'all using?