Nice Suit for medical school interviews... in a 34 chest?

chim

So I'm trying to suit up for the upcoming interviews, and I'm a very slim guy. Professionalism has to be a must, and I'm at a loss as to what I should get. It's next to impossible to find a decent fitting suit in my size (34, 44 INTL). I was thinking either thickasthieves or maybe this one from that yesstyle.com site everybody is obsessed with:

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/Product.aspx?pid=1004896215&section=allcat&

Does anybody have any hints or suggestions as to where to pick up a nice professional non brooks brothers looking suit in a small size? Budget would likely be around 400 dollars.

For 400 bucks I would get something cheaper and then spend the extra cash on alterations so that the suit will fit you on the spot. Personally, I care more about fit than branding so I guess that's what I would do. Pick up (if you can) a suit from Express or H&M. I think I saw really nice three piece suits at express a while back.

Express is out of the question, and I live in Houston so H&M is totally out. Express never has suits in an XXS that would actually fit right. I do appreciate the idea though, I'll swing by tomorrow to see if I can find one.

Take a trip to NYC. Go to LS Mens. Talk to Izzy. You can get MTM for 650. You can get some of there ridiculously nice OTR stuff for like 400. I'm a 34. I spent YEARS looking for a suit that fits perfectly. Go to LS Mens.

Just so you don't try to go this route... do not buy a 36 and try to have it taken in to your shoulders. No matter how good the tailor is, it'll never look right. Most tailors will refuse to take in shoulders anyway, but I just thought I'd give you that prewarning.

yikes, thats tough. Well first off, congrats on the interviews.

Are you a true 34? Or is that what size you need to wear to get that Dior look? ;)

jokes jokes, but that size is almost non-existent in North America if its not MTM. Maybe Zara if you could find an XXS or XS.....?

For now, I'd say get a cheaper suit but spend the money on alterations. Later when you're a doctor, you can get a MTM one :)

I was thinking either thickasthieves or maybe this one from that yesstyle.com site everybody is obsessed with:

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/Product.aspx?pid=1004896215&section=allcat&

A shiny silver suit is not interview attire. I don't care to argue the grey vs. silver distinction, but that damn sure has a horrible sheen to it.

jokes jokes, but that size is almost non-existent in North America if its not MTM. Maybe Zara if you could find an XXS or XS.....?

I second Zara (there are some in Houston).

^^Listen to england. I didn't click on the link earlier, and I don't think that is appropriate at all, having gone through a bunch of interviews myself.

I recommend a very traditional, dark navy or charcoal wool suit. Most of the people at my interviews wore navy. I bought charcoal, and so was a little bit different (enough maybe to make myself stand out a LITTLE bit over the others).

I interviewed at 11 medical schools (i know thats a shit load).

Most interviewers wear DARK SUITS i.e. navy or black. I can't stress this enough.

You don't really wanna stand out from the rest. You must be as conservative as possible, IMO. Dark suits with pin stripes is the furthest you wanna go.

No crazy tie with Homer Simpson all over print.

No gay-ass square toes.

No red shirt.

Most interviewers wore BLUE or WHITE shirts.

I agree with herpsky, as I said above. Except the tie, you may want to consider investing in one of those.

And, conservative is the way to go. Don't know what the thickasthieves one looks like, but definitely definitely stay away from any sheen, even if its black.

What's wrong with a conservative suit for a professional interview? I love my Samurais and Vans as much as the next SuFuer, but I'm no fool. When I start interviewing for my med-school spot, I'll be showing up in a Black Brook's Brothers suit, black Allen Edmonds Park Avenues, a conservative red/blue tie from Ben Silver and a white, oxford button-down shirt. It should all be well-tailored, of course, but not flashy. Why in the world would you even consider that aluminium monstrosity?

If you do read one of those "how-to-get-into-med-school-and-start-ballin" books,

they will always tell you to get a conservative suit.

most interviewers show up in pretty shitty suits.

mine was ralph lauren from macys (bought for 300).

female interviewers tend to dress like shit (you will see what i mean, when you go to interviews) and when i say shit, i really mean it

medical students tend to dress like shit, more so than law students

being non-trendy is your ticket into medicine...

Weird, most of the females I saw were quite well dressed. The really poorly dressed were some guys, who were very clearly wearing Dad's old suit from years back that was 3 inches too big all over.

Although, I'm in Canada, don't know if that makes a difference....

In any case, obviously its not THAT big a deal what suit you wear (they won't automatically discount you for wearing that silver suit) but why would you bother taking such an unecessary risk? You've obviously invested alot in this if you've gotten this far, you might as well make damn sure that if your interview doesn't go GREAT, its not because of a subconscious opinion an interviewer made due to your suit being too flashy.

btw-Herpsky, what school are you at? PM if you don't want to scream it out

do not wear a shiny silver suit to your medical school interviews. if you want to be different, wear a desaturated olive/moss green kinda color. everyone wears grey, navy, or black - a typical pack of interviewees walking around on a tour of the facilities looks like a dark cloud.

and yes, shave. in fact, as far as your appearance is concerned, looking clean is way more important than the cut or quality of your clothing. most doctors dress like shit anyway.

everyone and their mom wears a blue shirt and a yellow tie to med school interviews.

have fun with the admissions process. it's totally random.

haha fuck that I wore my dior homme dress shirt with black bee to all my interviews, it's all about confidence chumps. but in all seriousness if you wore a silver suit you'd be laughed outta there. and yeah getting into school is totally random so just do your best. cheers.

i do.

you can perhaps get a lanvin, brioni, or whatever expensive tie you feel like getting.

don:t be stupid and get that 150 dollar tie with a honeybee embroidery.

it is my hope that i will be able to purchase some custom made CDG suits (not that expensive) in the near future.