Munich

yackockse

• 4 months later...

Here comes the lodown on Munich. I grew up there 23 years before I left 5 years ago to live in Asia.

Shopping: Munich has all the top brands pretty much in one area. Go to "Marienplatz" this is also a "S-Bahn" / subway station and from there head towards "Odeonsplatz" which is in the north. You will come across the "Maximilliansstrasse" on which you find all the high fashion brands. Check also some of the side streets and the area between Odeonsplatz. There is an area called "Die fünf Höfe" which is full of small, interesting, expensive shops for all sorts of stuff from designer books to bags.

If you want to check more mainstream locations walk from "Marienplatz" towards "Stachus" which is the next subway Station. You will pass 2 H&Ms, Zara and some other places to do shopping. Wormland directly at the Marienplatz is quiet good as well.

Times: Weekdays and Saturday usually from 10am - 8pm, Sundays pretty much everything is closed (so prepare yourself for that, even supermarkets are closed)

Nightlife: Before I get into this you got to know something about Munich. Munich is the most expensive city in Germany and some people there get raised feeling awesome if they spend a lot on drinks and whatever. Ok, sure that exists in every city but there is a real culture dedicated to that in Munich. I have a few friends doing that (and I tell them how whack it is). They are regulars at the "P1" which is said to be the most exclusive club in Munich and was once in Germany. But in general in my opinion its just not worth it. Not worth your time and not worth hanging out with a bunch of f#ckers who define themselves by the bottles they buy. Anyway, if you look for the most exclusive places and folks like that go to "P1" or "Maximilians". You probably won't get in, to both unless you know someone there, look like a model, have a model with you or a members card (in case of Maximilians). I do visit these places to drink from those peoples bottles though before I piss off and go to a better place :D

To go out and have fun go to the "Gärtnerplatz Viertel" which is also the area with most gay clubs but in the last 5-6 years all the cool regular places opened there as well. If you can't handle drinking a beer from a bottle forget it and try the places I mentioned before. I can recommend "Die Registratur" ( http://www.stylexplorer.com/bayern/muenchen/Die-Registratur-l239.html ) which is a club that usually opens around 10pm and gets crowded around 1am. Sounds and events change. There is one event called "Zombocombo" thats Munichs best freakshow made by some artists and music producers with different themes and everybody comes dressed up like that. Its the best party imo but you got to come before or around midnight if you still want to get in. Other places in this area are "Erste Liga" or "Favorit Bar" (they won't let you in if you look like one of the guys from the clubs I mentioned first, good policy in Munich).

Food: You are in MUNICH! The capital of beer and oktoberfest! If you really want to get into things make sure of course that you go to Hofbräuhaus also near Marienplatz. We went there sometimes to pick up drunk tourist chics so yeah you can score there as well. The beer all the younger people drink in Munich is a local one called "Augustiner" give it a try. Eat a "Schweinsbraten mit Knoedel" somewhere which is the most typical dish you get for Munich.

If you have special questions let me know.

*Edit: This site http://www.stylexplorer.com/bayern/muenchen/ has some good spots marked as well even though the site is in German it might help u.

^^^ this is the sort of useful info that used to flood into this board - before it was invaded by little shits that live at home with their parents and haven't ventured past the post office as they go to pick up another pair of japanese denim (which most of them like like the suburban lame-asses they are in anyway).

Groan groan moan moan.

Anyway - still loving the info that flows into Jetset - it's just a shame about the rest.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

i always liked the spatenhaus but it's not very cheap. also the deutches museum is pretty rad if you're into science - it pretty much shows why the us is lagging behind in science education if you compare it to our science museums

to be honest munich isn't exactly the most happening town, it's kind of the atlanta of germany.

I'm traveling to Nürnberg/Herzogenaurach next month for work.

Will be there for a week but I'm planning on staying for the weekend as well in Nürnberg.

A friend of mind recommended that I go to Munich instead for a day.

Do you think it's worth / doable to see some good stuff in Munich in just a day? Or should I just better plan another trip in the future?

BMW museum along with Pinakothek (alte and new) is uber cool. Nymphenburg is also very nice like 25 minute ride from BMW museum. King Ludwig II birthplace Palace and superb park. stores overall are a pure waste of time H&M and zaramyass alikes, go have a beer in those famous beer houses instead. Also Allianz Arena is soccer's best stadium so if youre in Munich on Saturday or Sunday during the Bayern or Munich 1860 game it is a good idea to visit even if you're not into soccer it will be an expirience you will remember. Munich is very classy and how can one compare it to Obamaloving Atlanta I have no idea.