Ann Demeulemeester Men's S/S 08

chris

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like the long black cardigan, and the wrinkled waistcoat / coat but the prices are ridiculous this season.

i wont be picking up much (if anything) from her if this is what everyone's buy is like. US buyers are so boring. it fucking sucks that we only get to see like, 1/8 of the entire collection because most stores have such similar / uninspiring buys. there was so much amazing shit produced for s/s 07 that i never saw in stores (or in her show) until like a month ago while i was browsing yahoo and other foreign auction sites.

i have that feeling a lot. there is a lot of stuff i see on the runway that i think is very dope but i never see in the stores that supposedly stock it. all stores seem to carry the same boring stuff for the most part. this is a general post btw...i dont know or care much about demeulemeester

i wouldnt buy any silk pants.

but i definitely would like to see more variation and more out there stuff at the "avant garde/high end/indie" shops that stock the brands i enjoy. seems like everyone is all about safe items. there are of course a few places that do stick their necks out and carry something actually worth buying, though.

isnt that what opening your own store is all about though? selling what you want to sell? dont have to be a malcom mclaren or viv westwood type poser to run a store well.

they're silk raffia. fucking amazing, but expensive, and super delicate.

i have honestly thought about opening a boutique. seven does quite well, i guess i could just be on the darker end of the spectrum. i guess atelier is ok. their buys are somewhat interesting but theres always something left to be desired.

i have honestly thought about opening a boutique. seven does quite well, i guess i could just be on the darker end of the spectrum. i guess atelier is ok. their buys are somewhat interesting but theres always something left to be desired.

You should go for it. Mainly because I could use a job and I would work for very little money + discounts.

I've got like $800 I could invest. Get your white old-money boyfriend to front the rest. (You know, the one with yellow fever).

isnt that what opening your own store is all about though? selling what you want to sell?

That's probably the initial idea but then you quickly realize not many people have the exact vision as you and, as a result, you don't sell any of your crazy expensive pieces. Bills start stacking up and in the end you succumb to the public pressure and have to bring in some stuff you don't care as much for so you can actually make a little money.

maybe i should be complaining about the boring clientele in the US then. but there has to be a good portion of those who arent. the buyer at south willard told me that bless sells well every season, despite the fact that the stuff is not only weird as fuck, but really expensive. and those raf gauntlet gloves? they sold at barneys for $2400+ or something.

also, why dont boutiques buy more small sizes? they're never around for long, isnt that an indication that they should?

exactly, i dont want anything delicate. i'm not a girl. i didnt buy this awesome cassetteplaya shirt because it was silk. that joint was on sale too.

also the obvious theory of business is to sell to the middle. most people are towards the middle. the whole point of opening up a boutique or whatever is to sell to the extremes. you want normal clothing you can go to walmart.

the fabric isnt delicate, the weave is. go look up raffia or something, and tell me these arent awesome.

00050m.jpg

Is it just me, or does it seem like Ann Demeulemeester has been churning out the same collection every season for the past couple of years?

i think thats what alot of people say. i dont know though, i've loved almost every single collection she's put out (excluding f/w 05, 07, and s/s 08). she obviously never abandons layering and certain details, but i usually see something fresh / distinct in each season. and i usually love the graphics she uses, but the past two seasons have been meh. the footwear has been kinda dissapointing too, which is a real bummer.

the fabric isnt delicate, the weave is. go look up raffia or something, and tell me these arent awesome.

00050m.jpg

I saw that jacket at Barneys in Seattle. The material was really rad and I agree that pants in it would be amazing as well.

I think the demand for smaller sizes is finally being heard by US retailers. They can still be difficult to find, but it seems to be getting better. The reason it seems retailers don't get the sizes is usually just because they are often the first to sell out, no matter how many pieces are ordered.

Really the main thing with Ann's recent collections that bothers me is the quality. I don't know if it's the very delicate materials she uses on most of the pieces or where it is manufactured but the quality is definitely different from seasons' past.

And to say she is doing the same thing every season is kind of cop out. She's sticking to her niche, her aesthetic. To me, this SS08 season is WAY different than F/W 07/08. Whether that's for the good...or bad, well, you can make the call.

I think the demand for smaller sizes is finally being heard by US retailers. They can still be difficult to find, but it seems to be getting better. The reason it seems retailers don't get the sizes is usually just because they are often the first to sell out, no matter how many pieces are ordered.

Retailers definitely have to start to realize that although the US may be considered a place full of overweight individuals, these really aren't the people buying Raf, Ann, Jil, etc. They would definitely benefit themselves by keeping those people happy.

But I'm in the clear, Larges usually make it to sale no problem. :)

I think this might also have to do with production/availability?

I think this might also have to do with production/availability?

This is why stores go all the way to the showroom to see the clothing (well, one of the reasons).

Production is placed once the orders have been taken. So if Barneys wanted to order 50 Smalls in one piece, then they could.