sufu members with no style

cheep

IRT style and cultpop: There's a definite question of validity here.

What's worse, displaying personality through your outfits and sometimes not getting your cuts and proportions right a la cultpop, or wearing fashionable, impeccably cut but ultimately soulless in regard to your person for the sake of fashion as jmatsu would seem to advocate?

At the very least cultpop's outfits display himself as a person well, which is what I would suggest is half of what your clothing should achieve.

Eh, this is starting to sound like one of those superfashion topics that goes around in circles.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may not like how cultpop's items fit him, or whatever, but the dude is one of the most consistently-styled guys on here. He's definitely got style, whether you like it or not. I personally hate Milspex, I hate everything he posts, he's a creepy motherfucker and I don't even like his fits but he's got style and that's something not everyone has. I personally cannot stand bizzy's fits or her stances and expressions, but she's got more style than I ever will.

I can speak that same way about several people on here but I try to keep my mouth shut for the most part. There are lots of members who I would never dress like for fear of looking like a clown (and some of them can look clownish at times as well), but truth is, they've got style.

I'd rather just remain humble for the most part because god knows I've got a lot of improvements to make in my style before I can be considered on the same level as some of the people who's fits I can't stand.

Guest jmatsu
IRT style and cultpop: There's a definite question of validity here.

What's worse, displaying personality through your outfits and sometimes not getting your cuts and proportions right a la cultpop, or wearing fashionable, impeccably cut but ultimately soulless in regard to your person for the sake of fashion as jmatsu would seem to advocate?

At the very least cultpop's outfits display himself as a person well, which is what I would suggest is half of what your clothing should achieve.

Eh, this is starting to sound like one of those superfashion topics that goes around in circles.

double d,

i really appreciate your input. i see where you're coming from and we're you going, but firmly stand by my comments. "At the very least cultpop's outfites display himself as a person well, which i would suggest is half of what your clothing should achieve." the manifestation of personality in it's wardrobe is totally logical, but is throwing this theory around on a internet fashion forum responsible? how are we to remain objective in our fit critiques if we do not seperate character from physique and fit? how can we ever know if a subject's personality is naturally/sincerely manifested in it's wardrobe? how can we objectively judge a member's character on the internet? is it even necessary to do so on a fashion forum?

earlier i attempted to illustrate one of my points by making the example of the elderly japanese man who would wander the streets in tokyo (whether it be winter, fall or summer) in a soccer uniform, wielding a preschool students backpack, short-shorts and all. i guess if we use your "display yourself as a person" theory we could ascertain that he has a personality disorder. and guess what? he looks ridiculous.

i really don't want to critique cultpop's personality vs. the ramifications of his clothing, because this wasn't my primary objective in this thread. let's put it this way, when i go to a show, regardless of genre (punk, electro, what have you..), i see patrons who look hot and those who do not. guess which category i personally see him in? if we're having a personality pagent maybe he'd be the winner, but i'm just not interested.

i still think he looks like shit.

Guest jmatsu
You may not like how cultpop's items fit him, or whatever, but the dude is one of the most consistently-styled guys on here. He's definitely got style, whether you like it or not. I personally hate Milspex, I hate everything he posts, he's a creepy motherfucker and I don't even like his fits but he's got style and that's something not everyone has. I personally cannot stand bizzy's fits or her stances and expressions, but she's got more style than I ever will.

I can speak that same way about several people on here but I try to keep my mouth shut for the most part. There are lots of members who I would never dress like for fear of looking like a clown (and some of them can look clownish at times as well), but truth is, they've got style.

I'd rather just remain humble for the most part because god knows I've got a lot of improvements to make in my style before I can be considered on the same level as some of the people who's fits I can't stand.

the way you use "style" in your commentary makes it equate too nothing more than a seemingly "uniqueness." just because a person is unique doesn't mean they're stylish. infact there is no such thing as unique in terms of fashion. it has all been done or formulated, you just haven't witnessed it, refuse to, or haven't seen enough.

if my assumptions of the your meaning of "style" are premature or flawed, i appologize. would you mind elaborating on your use of the term alittle more specifically?

another good question that could be raised is "does cultpop's style actually have any value?"

jmatsu brings up a good point..

for example, i may see a very attractive woman in the mall, all drenched in high end brands, but the minute i approach her, the personality is complete shit hence making her ugly overall.. But then you've got a woman whos not the best dresser out the flock, but her personality really stands out.

it all depends on how you present yourself in my opinion.. Your attire may not be 1,500 dollars, but your personality is priceless, and thats what makes you stand out.

jmatsu brings up a good point..

for example, i may see a very attractive woman in the mall, all drenched in high end brands, but the minute i approach her, the personality is complete shit hence making her ugly overall.. But then you've got a woman whos not the best dresser out the flock, but her personality really stands out.

it all depends on how you present yourself in my opinion.. Your attire may not be 1,500 dollars, but your personality is priceless, and thats what makes you stand out.

Wait, am I on a dating website or something? Personality? Ehhhhh...

I interperate 'style' in the graffiti sense, where if I can recognize someone's piece of tag, then they have their own style. If I can't tell who specifically it is, or if multiple pieces by the same person have no common element, it is devoid of style.

Cultpop has a very distinct style, in that I can always tell his outfits. Part of it is his pictures too, which only add to the style. He's the only dude I see rocking Bjork shirts, and he'll busy shit that nobody would wear, like a ratty old Mickey Mouse shirt. That's fucking cool.

I really don't give a shit about fashion. I'm more of the mindset that if I see a dope shirt or some nice shoes on the street, I'll tell the person to their face. I only post on here to get some minor critique and get some good deals at the supermarket. I don't get the 'sufu fit' stuff or the extreme hate or the over-analyzing.

i'd still smash the bitch in the high fashion shit though.

on a serious note, why all the hate on cultpop? as far as "style vs. fashion" and such goes i'd say cultpop is one of the most stylish dudes on here. he knows what looks good on him and always looks killer wearing it, tight ass hobos, tall sneakers and crazy scarf and leather combos included.

i'm gonna go find him and rep him.

Guest jmatsu
I interperate 'style' in the graffiti sense, where if I can recognize someone's piece of tag, then they have their own style. If I can't tell who specifically it is, or if multiple pieces by the same person have no common element, it is devoid of style.

Cultpop has a very distinct style, in that I can always tell his outfits. Part of it is his pictures too, which only add to the style. He's the only dude I see rocking Bjork shirts, and he'll busy shit that nobody would wear, like a ratty old Mickey Mouse shirt. That's fucking cool.

I really don't give a shit about fashion. I'm more of the mindset that if I see a dope shirt or some nice shoes on the street, I'll tell the person to their face. I only post on here to get some minor critique and get some good deals at the supermarket. I don't get the 'sufu fit' stuff or the extreme hate or the over-analyzing.

everything you've wrote seems biased and totally opininated. if you think he looks good, more glory to you and he. no qualms with you, but if you're gonna make a statement at least be able to support it. just because someone rocks bjork and mickey mouse t-shirts does not mean that they automatically aquire themselves a "distinct style." on the contrary, those articles come a dime a dozen. like i stated there is no "unique," there is only cycles and timing. are those articles in question (now) fringe fashion or just (now) frivolous commodities?

to me, his formula of incorporating them into his dress doesn't seem "distinct."

your base interest in "a dope shirt or some nice shoes on the street," is fine, but it just makes me feel that having this discussion is pointless or impossible. i find this kind of mentality to be one of mediocrity and to be very naive.

in this case, i've honestly tried to put my hate in the freezer. this is just how i percieve things.

like i stated there is no "unique," there is only cycles and timing.

fashion is just a recycled industry. I like that comment jmatsu.. All of what we are surrounded by has already been solidified from back in the early 40's 50's.. All that we've done is modified all the clothing to make it accustomed to todays modern world..

So to be honest, this is why i say i have no style and am proud of saying it because quite frankly this style has already been created, we're only following what was already done.

everything you've wrote seems biased and totally opininated. if you think he looks good, more glory to you and he. no qualms with you, but if you're gonna make a statement at least be able to support it. just because someone rocks bjork and mickey mouse t-shirts does not mean that they automatically aquire themselves a "distinct style." on the contrary, those articles come a dime a dozen. like i stated there is no "unique," there is only cycles and timing. are those articles in question (now) fringe fashion or just (now) frivolous commodities?

to me, his formula of incorporating them into his dress doesn't seem "distinct."

your base interest in "a dope shirt or some nice shoes on the street," is fine, but it just makes me feel that having this discussion is pointless or impossible. i find this kind of mentality to be one of mediocrity and to be very naive.

in this case, i've honestly tried to put my hate in the freezer. this is just how i percieve things.

Yeah I mean, that's fine. Opinions are our own, and it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme. I think Cultpop has style, I don't get the hate, and I guess that's that.

I do think it's funny to have a 'mentality of mediocrity.' I just think fashion comes pretty far behind other, more important things.

*shrug*

i'd still smash the bitch in the high fashion shit though.

on a serious note, why all the hate on cultpop? as far as "style vs. fashion" and such goes i'd say cultpop is one of the most stylish dudes on here. he knows what looks good on him and always looks killer wearing it, tight ass hobos, tall sneakers and crazy scarf and leather combos included.

i'm gonna go find him and rep him.

you are no longer an axis powers candidate. request to join denied.

So to be honest, this is why i say i have no style and am proud of saying it because quite frankly this style has already been created, we're only following what was already done.

You've completely and utterly misunderstood what jmatsu has said in this thread. Good job, once again.

I want to kill puppies everytime I see you post, just because you seem to have something stupid to add to almost every fucking topic on this forum. 99% of the time you're not making any sense. And, sadly (for you), I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Yeah I mean, that's fine. Opinions are our own, and it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme. I think Cultpop has style, I don't get the hate, and I guess that's that.

I do think it's funny to have a 'mentality of mediocrity.' I just think fashion comes pretty far behind other, more important things.

*shrug*

if fashion is not a priority for you, then why participate on this forum? if mindless consumption of dope shirts and nice shoes is your thing, then wouldn't forums such as hypebeast.com be more apropos?

what qualifies a shirt as "dope" or shoes as "nice" anyway? have you ever given your subjective evaluations any thought whatsoever? probably not.

Guest jmatsu

*shrug*

you basically said you don't give a fuck about fashion in you other statement. and in this one you are just pointing out something totally obvious. i don't mind having random conversations with members, but next time would you mind actually leaving comments of worth?

to simplify this on going discussion for the random monkeys who've randomly (and meaninglessly) shat up this thread:

cultpop has a "style," true, but it is one that is completely irrelevant to what i believe should be the ideal standards of a sane fashion-forward community. his style is not progressive and doesn't work because it's flawed on a primal level (fit, proportion, etc.). basically he just looks bad and seems to put himself above his hot topic/alterna-teen brethren.

Tiranis, shut the fuck up for once and get off my dick..im tired of ur little bitch rants.. i misunderstood, so fucking what? dont try to be a fuckin smart ass about it..(kicking puppies? the fuck are you bickering about?)

I find u more annoying than anybody else on this site because of your nonsense..your fickle mind cant bend around the fact that some of my posts have actually been legitimate..compared to your dickriding fiasco that you so often do (i.e around jmatsu and other high sufu members).. At least im contributing with something considerable unlike your kicking puppies comment i so often see..

Grow up.. I know people think im annoying, i dont care, not everybody is going to take kindly to me..I do me and thats all that matters

Tiranis, shut the fuck up for once and get off my dick..im tired of ur little bitch rants.. i misunderstood, so fucking what? dont try to be a fuckin smart ass about it..

I find u more annoying than anybody else on this site because of your nonsense..your fickle mind cant bend around the fact that some of my posts have actually been legitimate..compared to your dickriding fiasco that you so often do (i.e around jmatsu and other high sufu members)..

If he was "on your dick" wouldn't he be giving you praise?

^^ not really keegan..he's constantly on my ass trying to be mr teacher correcting things i say...like shut the fuck up for once and let me just say what i have to say man.. i understand ppl got their opinions n shit..but he just goes on little rants for nothing..

I admit, yes i can get a bit annoying with the posting in forums, im not gonna take that personally..its just that everytime i say something, that moron comes out of nowhere and starts bickering..If he actually took the time to READ some of the shit i actually say, he'd realize that most shit i say is legitimate

Tiranis, shut the fuck up for once and get off my dick..im tired of ur little bitch rants.. i misunderstood, so fucking what? dont try to be a fuckin smart ass about it..(kicking puppies? the fuck are you bickering about?)

I find u more annoying than anybody else on this site because of your nonsense..your fickle mind cant bend around the fact that some of my posts have actually been legitimate..compared to your dickriding fiasco that you so often do (i.e around jmatsu and other high sufu members).. At least im contributing with something considerable unlike your kicking puppies comment i so often see..

Grow up.. I know people think im annoying, i dont care, not everybody is going to take kindly to me..I do me and thats all that matters

I feel bad cause I don't normally do this... but I think everybody thinks your kind of annoying due to the fact that you haven't quite caught onto the meaning of our slang. If he's on your dick that means he's complementing you... you seem to have that backwards. Also the word "fickle" means to change ones mind frequently. I don't think he's changed his mind at all if he follows you from thread to thread bitching you out.