sufu members with no style

cheep

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i want to better understand this. the first sentence is alittle incoherent. please edit!

Okay...the first sentence is meant to illustrate that on here where pretty much everyone dresses the same. You could essentially dress yourself up in an exact outfit someone else had on 2 years ago with no true sense of personal style or fashion at all and be received well. But you`d still have no true sense of personal style. Dress a piece of shit up it:ll still be a piece of shit. Didnt seem like a hard concept to grasp.

"cult is actually a talented photographer and yes seems like a pretty nice guy...i:d hang with him." -why is this statement even necessary?

I added this as what i feel might be an explanation as to why people who think he doesnt dress well do not come down on him as harshly . LIke you yourself said he talks the talk.

i live half the year in a "major fashion captial." i would think that the attitude of wanting to blend in is a poor one for a true fashionista, but the uncontrived act of blending in with the industry's creme de la creme and being recognized by other fashionista of similar sensiblity /respect wouldn't be too bad. the competition and assimilation aspects are all human nature.

"so how about you get over yourself?" wtf are you going on about? i find this alittle out of line. the discussion and inquiry are legitimate. it's not personal. if we cease to ask questions and push the subjects of this board, then what good is it? i guess to some, being nice/nonchalant is favored or seems safe. these kinds of attitudes promote the boards and the industry's stagnantation.

I dont quite mean it in the way you might have received it..again i think youre intelligent and some intelligent people have the tendancy to say things to/about people they know they can "shut down" just cause they can. not saying that cult cannot defend himself.

btw i'd just like to mention that when fade wore those non slim wide straights it wasn't 100%recieved well with the community (he took the critiques with integrity), but i think that the critisiscms may have helped him and promote evolution.

I agree that constructive criticism can guide people into finding their own way but it seems like the criticism here is to guide people in finding a way that everyone else has.

oh and my last comment was in response to saywords comment.

lol...i feel like i:m in debate class again...lets not fight anymore jmatsu its too hot and im thinking too much. well save it for a cooler day or a more clear cut debate topic. moral of the story..I e-respect you and e-like cult...lets move on.

Guest jmatsu

justhaja,

i agree with the shit metaphor, but in no way did i ever mean to suggest that cult or other's that i have commented upon implement a look that would be accepatble to superfuture. comments i've made were based on my personal garment/stying sensiblities (whether they are subliminaly influened by this board could be argueable...but i sincerely would like to doubt that).

making comments like you'd hang out with him, is a re-reaffirmation and is totally inconsequential (in this context). to the reading comprehension impaired, the reaffirmation (as stated in you other comment), implies that you'd perharps be guilty of the same shit. it didn't come off as a explanation to me and was unecessary because it was already made clear in a couple of previous comments. again, my main gripe with this kind of attitude is that it demotes objectivity.

people "shut down" people or whatever every day in all aspects/medium of society and communication., permeditated or otherwise. i don't see the problem with that. it is an innate characteristic of people and any kind of open forum.

lastly i'm not trying to "guide" people, get rep by spitting knowledge, or big up the board (although that maybe a big perogative for many here). i just say what i feel...just like you appear to be doing. sometimes when individual(s')communication intermingles shit happens. it's whether you come correct that decides how much fallout you'll take.

exactly! in tokyo there is this crazy fucking old man who dresses in a soccer uniform and wears a preschool backpack. he's distinct, but dresses like fucking looney tunes.

mad homless people dress pretty distinct, but look like and smell like shit. and a big reason why i don't randomly hate on them in the street is because they're not trying to put on any facade of being the "cool guy." they're homeless, they know they're homeless, they are forced to dress the way they do, and don't / would never front (even through they couldn't) on a fashion forum.

that guy is my fucking hero. when i see superfuture fit i just skip it, but if something is really bad i might give them props for just saying fuck that shit for once. placating ppl is stupid.

edit: this is a serious post...i'm not joking.

i agree with jmatsu, and not just because he is my homie. This message board plays a discursive role in mediating between and demarcating mass and high fashion. The constructive criticism knowledgable members provide is useful insofar as it informs us of when it is time move on and evolve after a certain style which was once creative or subversive (defined in terms of the community that posseses it) has succumbed to the arm of the industry and has been reified and mechanically reproduced as a mass trend or fad. This process will no doubt continue ad infinitum.

Though the SUFU community of would be fashionistas strives for independence from the masses, this does not entail that anyone who dresses distinctly and independently is our ally. There needs to be some sort of unity if our acts of independence are to have any significance or meaning. The homeless man or the crazy japanese that jmatsu described is not considered fashionable because his independent efforts are insignificant and devoid of any meaning. There are certain parameters for what qualifies as appropriate SUFU style, and these are not consciously determined by any one person but rather emerges from the growing coherence of the community as it struggles to maintain its independence.

Individuality is largely a myth. The most progressive members on this forum are those savvy dressers who speak a common language of dress which continues to grow and evolve. Just as there is no private language or mentalese, there is also no truly individual style of dress. Within our dialect however there are certainly idiolects....

Guest jmatsu
that guy is my fucking hero. when i see superfuture fit i just skip it, but if something is really bad i might give them props for just saying fuck that shit for once. placating ppl is stupid.

i feel that my comments/inquiries were legitimate, sorry if they don't entertain you. next time i'll try to produce something of worth like you supleme thread.

if i am mistaken then aplogies, but is your alter ego datashol?

i feel that my comments/inquiries were legitimate, sorry if they don't entertain you. next time i'll try to produce something of worth like you supleme thread.

if i am mistaken then aplogies, but is your alter ego datashol?

nope, he is my homeboy, much like your friend robideaux. also, my supleme thread actually is a for sale thread, and a lot of that stuff sold, even out of the trash. i've only got the sweatbands left and i'm contemplating just putting them to good use.

Guest jmatsu

There are certain parameters for what qualifies as appropriate SUFU style, and these are not consciously determined by any one person but rather emerges from the growing coherence of the community as it struggles to maintain its independence.

Individuality is largely a myth. The most progressive members on this forum are those savvy dressers who speak a common language of dress which continues to grow and evolve. Just as there is no private language or mentalese, there is also no truly individual style of dress. Within our dialect however there are certainly idiolects....

this is the meat...

read it. learn it. live it.

some people are bilingual, some are fluent, some have limited comprehension , while others just spit monkey-talk and pretend to listen with deaf-ears.

the axis powers create language. now ask yourselves, do you speak in axis tongues?

i agree with jmatsu, and not just because he is my homie. This message board plays a discursive role in mediating between and demarcating mass and high fashion. The constructive criticism knowledgable members provide is useful insofar as it informs us of when it is time move on and evolve after a certain style which was once creative or subversive (defined in terms of the community that posseses it) has succumbed to the arm of the industry and has been reified and mechanically reproduced as a mass trend or fad. This process will no doubt continue ad infinitum.

Though the SUFU community of would be fashionistas strives for independence from the masses, this does not entail that anyone who dresses distinctly and independently is our ally. There needs to be some sort of unity if our acts of independence are to have any significance or meaning. The homeless man or the crazy japanese that jmatsu described is not considered fashionable because his independent efforts are insignificant and devoid of any meaning. There are certain parameters for what qualifies as appropriate SUFU style, and these are not consciously determined by any one person but rather emerges from the growing coherence of the community as it struggles to maintain its independence.

Someone should sticky this post...really insightful and definately lays the shit out as clear as day...

fwiw, I think people in Williamsburg, mentioned in a previous post, dress like a bunch of flaccid jeb ends (at least circa 2004-2006 when I lived there) precisely because of the above described "independent efforts are insignificant and devoid of any meaning" -- where people were basically going down to the salvation army on bedford, beacons closet or their local dumpster, and proceeded to wear on a daily basis a random combination of clothes without any thought, meaning or style. Basically, if you wore a button down and a pair of chinos on a Saturday afternoon, you'd be the one making fashion waves.