Biting the apple or knowledge AKA we're all elitest fucks

homi29

"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand."

-Frank Herbert

this one though is my all time favorite:

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people"- Eleanor Rose

i also brought up this topic not just about shopping

but i'm the type of person who likes digging for cool stuff beneath the mainstream/surface

it takes time and effort to dig and find good indepedent music or movies.. I enjoy nothing more than a good mindless summer blockbuster, but i also like having the choice to find a hidden gem that is a totally different sort of experience

most people dont even look at the tag to see where stuff is made and instead prefer to just find the cheapest items avail

Thats me. the market rules and if I can get my nikes cheap because some kid can drop out of school and make more than his dad in a factory somewhere then amen.

We are prosumers. The internet has democrtised the flow of information and created a global economy where traditional borders to both knowledge and commerce do not apply ( the only clothes i bought in the UK that i'm wearing today are my socks - everythng else was shipped in from either japan or america).

Across the web you can find superdenim's for any topic imaginable. When we say:

it's not so much about being an elitist but about being clever and having good taste
we are doing something that simply would not have been possible without the internet. In effect we represent the rise of "prosumer" who no longer relies on traditional marketing and the like to dictate expenditure but instead uses the long tail of the internet as a social platform.

^ Actually reading that maybe it is all just elitist bulshit :P

i wouldnt say im an elitist fuck, but i have the taste of one... i like to have shit no one else has, top quality, shit the general population will never know about or wont see fro a couple years... its just how ive always been, starting with music from way back. i try not to judge other people to my standards tho... and even if i dont it seems to alienate me from many people

we are doing something that simply would not have been possible without the internet.

I don't think it's that it wasn't possible without the internet, but it definitely was more difficult. Much easier to read about something at your computer than go out and physically find a group of likeminded people to find something/tear something apart/build something, which is what being an expert about stuff like this used to require.

to sum it up: next motherfucking level. Also, to clarify, I'm not saying that reading about shit on the internet is a substitute for more in depth experience.

I don't think it's that it wasn't possible without the internet, but it definitely was more difficult. Much easier to read about something at your computer than go out and physically find a group of likeminded people to find something/tear something apart/build something, which is what being an expert about stuff like this used to require.

to sum it up: next motherfucking level. Also, to clarify, I'm not saying that reading about shit on the internet is a substitute for more in depth experience.

EXACTLY. Stores like Hideout and Fly in the UK brought over Supreme and Bathing Ape and educated UK heads from like the mid-nineties. Union in the US made the Japan connection early too. In places like Australia where I`m from it was more random but if you were interested you could pick up info from The Face magazine or Japan mags at the Japanese bookstore, start making connections thru movies like Kids and skate videos.. and meet Japanese exchange students/interregote em on where they got their gear/get them to hook you up. I made my first trip to Japan just to pickup gear.

It was a lot harder back then but it was way more satisfying when you finally got that good shit and NOBODY knew what the fuck you had (except those Japanese ex students haha).

• 6 months later...

I don't want to feel materialistic, cause in my mind I don't but I don't get it, are we really materialistic?

Due to having all this knowledge and wanting all these various things, does this make us materialistic? I don't brag to anyone about anything I buy, I tell my gf half the stuff I buy, but hardly anymore, cause she doesn't want to hear it. I think this turns people off from me, but I don't act like im better than anyone cause of whatever i own, but some people say I come off that way, but in my head I don't think that, I don't get it.

I need help

I don't want to feel materialistic, cause in my mind I don't but I don't get it, are we really materialistic?

Due to having all this knowledge and wanting all these various things, does this make us materialistic? I don't brag to anyone about anything I buy, I tell my gf half the stuff I buy, but hardly anymore, cause she doesn't want to hear it. I think this turns people off from me, but I don't act like im better than anyone cause of whatever i own, but some people say I come off that way, but in my head I don't think that, I don't get it.

I need help

i mean aren't we all materialistic, but than again who are we to judge other people's choice on their purchases? as long as they are happy with it and that would be the end of it.

perhaps they just don't share the same passion you have for your interest. it's a constant struggle for me to explain my interest in this culture, for them and for the world it's simply a waste of the world's materiel, but for me certain item is not even about its original purpose anymore, some times it's a art piece, a documentation of a era of my youth,

Thats China`s problem, not mine. You`ll be sorry you even cared when you`re staring down the barrel of a Chinese AK. Fuck this "we are the world" bullshit, support your local, support your country. Fuck China.

wow! that says a lot coming from a person who support the iraq invasion since the beginning and calls any one who oppose it "neo con"

and why do you even buy nike and supreme when they are foreigns brand coming from US? so much for "support your local, your country"

Thats me. the market rules and if I can get my nikes cheap because some kid can drop out of school and make more than his dad in a factory somewhere then amen.

so clearly you don't have a very clear view of this society today, showing caring in "support your local" yet without any concern of others in other corners of the world. knowledgeable in the global trend culture, yet have no idea of chain reaction in global or domestic economics.

you are the very reflection of this society.