Biting the apple or knowledge AKA we're all elitest fucks

homi29

theres been a topic thats been on my mind lately and i saw a few other posts which reflect my exact situation right now

ill just quote them here as im pretty lazy and they already articulated what i wanted to say very well..

Forums like these always boggle my mind and make me happy. I am very glad to see groups of forums with members who are ocd experts in their fields. The funny thing is, these expert forums are all based around something that the general populus does every day, but they never get past the superficial aspect of it. Everyone wears jeans, puts on a tie, shaves, ect, but very few ever devote quite a bit of their person time to perfecting their knowledge in it. We should really consider having a list of all of the best in-depth forums so that we all know where to look when we need a watch or fly-fishing pole. In fact, it would be a bad idea to have a sufu-esque site with branching subforums like 'watches' 'denim' 'shoes' 'cameras' 'computers.' Outside of denim, I really have no clue what I'm doing. The only reason I know anything about jeans is because of the wealth of knowledge in superdenim. It takes a long time to retain it all, though.

or from Tiranis

So true... I can't even go and buy something without first reading a ton about it and finding a proper forum that discusses that stuff. Crazy.

Hell, I was about to get a simple scale last week and I couldn't buy one before I checked reviews online, researched types of scales available, etc. and made sure I'm buying the best one possible.

It's a curse.

lastly

Its simple, either your an educated consumer the kind Best Buy fears or your the average person who reads a circular and thinks its an awesome deal. These are the people who usually walk away with an older model thats about to be replaced or some pos that they can't get rid of. The motivation to care about what you purchase, defines how you attack other obstacles in life.

are we all on some next-level shit and everyone else is a dumbass, or are we just OCD in our life and consumer choices

discuss?

Men in general are far more likely to research before they buy. Would you buy stuff wholesale out of the back of a truck? That's why knowledge can be good sometimes...even though it's generally painful.

Men in general are far more likely to research before they buy. Would you buy stuff wholesale out of the back of a truck? That's why knowledge can be good sometimes...even though it's generally painful.

i noticed that to, thats why if u go to any jam where its not typical bitch anthems and theres some underground (insert genre here) music going on, its likely a cockfest

on the other hand, personally i can never go back to being a simpleton and shopping at the GAP , when i have all this knowledge of brands/cuts/fits accumulated in my head

does anyone here wish they took the blue pill instead and could be happy with what we can now objectively view as inferior?

Whenever I learn something I always wish I could take the blue pill but like I said all knowledge is painful, but at times rewarding. I don't like knowing so much about clothes because it makes me overly self-conscious at times and also sometimes I judge people...among other ills. At the same time, I'm glad I'm not running around looking like a fucking idiot (but that's up to opinion).

I am happy with my current consumer status although it is frustrating at times. So much 'research' results in wanting so many items - being in a continent that stocks hardly anything and not earning enough money to purchase most of it.

I've been dubbed as materialistic by a few people which I believe is untrue. I might own more material items then some people and/or show more interest in acquiring more material goods although me wanting something and spending time indulging in reading about them/discussing them hardly constitutes the term materialistic. I still prioritize health, family, friends etc...

researching is pretty much the only way i can feel content as a consumer buying lots of ultimately disposable things.. there's an economy in buying the best / most durable / unique item that is attractive to me, for many reasons. it's not like im a farmhand and extremely durable workwear is a necessity, but if im going to buy jeans and boots, they're going to have to be made to last. it's also harkening back to an era when quality craftsmanship was the only marketing tool a manufacturer would have.

that said, i still buy all kinds of materialistic shit... marketings a bitch :D

Sometimes it's kind of stupid when I think about it, cause I spend a lot of times reading about all this stuff and researcing it, but then again it's stupid to buy shit things just because you're too lazy to do some research.

At least I can spend some of my worktime on it, plus I only sleep 4 hours. If I had to sleep 8 hours and had a different job, I would probably just say "screw it."

it's also harkening back to an era when quality craftsmanship was the only marketing tool a manufacturer would have.

i totally agree with this, its so refreshing to see minimal well-made products in this day and age..

its a shame that we've been swindled so that to get these "good products" we have to pay a premium, only because everything else out there is utter shit

I enjoy knowing that i bought something worthwhile and high quality, for example my sennheiser headphones which i got for <$100 have lasted me 5 years, and they still sound pretty fucking good.

a few other good points were made, and i generally accept the fact that researching and finding the best products for you is a good idea and worth the aggravation

what i do find interesting is that we (as in Sufu and other internet communities) still seem so far removed from the "Average person". I suppose average is a subjective term, but i wish some of the idiots out there would stop buying such crap without thinking so that the average quality of products would increase.. (see hip-hop as an example)

well, why the fuck would anybody research the hell out of an hd dvd player other than the fact to make sure your getting the best of the best because its probably going to be the only one you buy for a while. this goes for many things in life clothes, cars, and of course materialistic stuff in general.

well, why the fuck would anybody research the hell out of an hd dvd player other than the fact to make sure your getting the best of the best because its probably going to be the only one you buy for a while. this goes for many things in life clothes, cars, and of course materialistic stuff in general.

i dont think many people research the hell out of everything, but if ur thinking about making a sizable purchase $$ wise, it always pays to at least do a quick google search on it

on the other hand, i notice Sufu'ers dig a little deeper to find great music, movies, art etc

even though it does take alot of time to stay up to date on these things, it's a shame more people don't because IMO these are some of the things that comprise a life worth living

i dont think many people research the hell out of everything, but if ur thinking about making a sizable purchase $$ wise, it always pays to at least do a quick google search on it

on the other hand, i notice Sufu'ers dig a little deeper to find great music, movies, art etc

even though it does take alot of time to stay up to date on these things, it's a shame more people don't because IMO these are some of the things that comprise a life worth living

I know that sometimes i obsess over certain things for their aesthetics and overall uncompromising quality or value. This is definately not true for everything, but I always feel better knowing that I've dug the deepest I can when I have the right tools at my disposal, hence the wonderful world of the internet and whats its done to my life.:)

but at least im happy with knowing that I don't have to settle when it comes to being a consumer.

I've become disgusted with false prophets and idiots who make untrue claims about the quality of things. I had a girlfriend a few months ago who could not describe why her 7s were better than any other pair of girl's jeans (which she claimed), without using the word 'quality.' I know people who claim that 'The Davinci Code' is the best work of fiction written in the last 20 years. I've met people who think that one should aspire to nothing more in life than to be decked out in Lacoste and A&F, listen to the new Nickelback/Fall Out Boy/Shop Boyz album and enjoy the incredible art available at allposters.com. I don't want to be those guys. I don't want to walk through life with a vague notion of what's going on without examining the culture, finding my ideal, and striving for comfort with myself and pride in my tastes. I believe that what we do is all about refinement. We want to find true authenticity, the best value and make the wisest desicions based on the information available to us.

Does this question just apply to just fashion.I work as a telephone interviewer as a casual job while im not studying engineering and there are copious amount of stupid people I talk to, its amazing. People dont realise how fucked the world really is. Most people really have no idea how any of thier appliances work. People know about about Paris Hilton but not how many soldiers died in the iraq that day.People dont know that thousands of fingers are lost year in china because of poor safety standards. I sound like an arrogant fuck saying this, but most people are stupid. I think that as long as you are of accepting of stupid people, you remain moral. So next time you see less fortunate people on the street dont smirk.

I've become disgusted with false prophets and idiots who make untrue claims about the quality of things. I had a girlfriend a few months ago who could not describe why her 7s were better than any other pair of girl's jeans (which she claimed), without using the word 'quality.' I know people who claim that 'The Davinci Code' is the best work of fiction written in the last 20 years. I've met people who think that one should aspire to nothing more in life than to be decked out in Lacoste and A&F, listen to the new Nickelback/Fall Out Boy/Shop Boyz album and enjoy the incredible art available at allposters.com. I don't want to be those guys. I don't want to walk through life with a vague notion of what's going on without examining the culture, finding my ideal, and striving for comfort with myself and pride in my tastes. I believe that what we do is all about refinement. We want to find true authenticity, the best value and make the wisest desicions based on the information available to us.

quoted for truth

and in my last two call center jobs, i had to deal with a tremendous amount of idiots...

i'm not just talking about customers, but the company i worked for was so poorly organized and managed that im surprised they can turn a profit at all

it's not so much about being an elitist but about being clever and having good taste. I like the best of everything from cars to clothes to computers to headphones to kitchenaids, which is a good thing because anything I buy is long lasting and excellent quality, but expensive so I am always hungry for the good stuff.

The breadth of knowledge on jeans on this forum is extremely impressive.

Does this question just apply to just fashion.I work as a telephone interviewer as a casual job while im not studying engineering and there are copious amount of stupid people I talk to, its amazing. People dont realise how fucked the world really is. Most people really have no idea how any of thier appliances work. People know about about Paris Hilton but not how many soldiers died in the iraq that day.People dont know that thousands of fingers are lost year in china because of poor safety standards. I sound like an arrogant fuck saying this, but most people are stupid. I think that as long as you are of accepting of stupid people, you remain moral. So next time you see less fortunate people on the street dont smirk.

Why do you think people are stupid if they dont waste their time thinking about how many fucking fingers got lost in China today? Sounds like you`re the stupid one.

Yes, thinking of a solution to an actual problem is a waste of time. Chinamen are easily replaceable.

Thats China`s problem, not mine. You`ll be sorry you even cared when you`re staring down the barrel of a Chinese AK. Fuck this "we are the world" bullshit, support your local, support your country. Fuck China.

Thats China`s problem, not mine. You`ll be sorry you even cared when you`re staring down the barrel of a Chinese AK. Fuck this "we are the world" bullshit, support your local, support your country. Fuck China.

then again the same people who dont care about chinese people getting their fingers getting chopped up PROBABLY dont care about buying Local either if it means paying a premium

most people dont even look at the tag to see where stuff is made and instead prefer to just find the cheapest items avail