The Best Steak you've ever had...

evilgeniusdan

best steak i've had (by a country mile) was at il latini in florence. no steak i've had from cornfed beef is even comparable, i don't care what kind of aging has taken place (*cough* peter luger).

i had a pretty nice local(ish) grassfed ribeye at the roebling tea room this summer but i think it was a special. the fatty side of a ribeye can't be beat

carne on the upper west side used to run a great early bird prix fixe - app, steak (incl ribeye), side and one drink (incl duvel) for like 35 bucks. looks like they changed their menu and made it lame though

I've been through all the big ones mentioned (Mortons, Ruth Chris, Sullivans, Lugers, Shulas, etc...) and I have NEVER had a steak that I thought was better than I could grill myself. But for some reason I keep dishing out all that money to go and try the new 'latest and greatest' steak.

Silliness.

I've been through all the big ones mentioned (Mortons, Ruth Chris, Sullivans, Lugers, Shulas, etc...) and I have NEVER had a steak that I thought was better than I could grill myself. But for some reason I keep dishing out all that money to go and try the new 'latest and greatest' steak.

Silliness.

any tips on how to cook a good steak?? i just can't seem to make it taste as good restaurants do.

maybe i need to invest in a nice iron skillet? just season with salt and pepper right??

ruth's chris, morton's, the steak house at the intercon (HK), argentinian steak house, etc... i like em all. i like meat.

i think out of all of them, morton's would be tops though.

any tips on how to cook a good steak?? i just can't seem to make it taste as good restaurants do.

maybe i need to invest in a nice iron skillet? just season with salt and pepper right??

ruth's chris, morton's, the steak house at the intercon (HK), argentinian steak house, etc... i like em all. i like meat.

i think out of all of them, morton's would be tops though.

I always get great results with steaks when I cook them in the broiler. If you have a gas range, it's the shit for cooking steak. Salt and pepper, a little lea&perrins and then about 2-3 minutes on a side (this is for a thin flank steak, you want rib eye probably more like 4-7 depending on how well you like it done) under the flames. Yum!

For the record, everyone should use cast-iron for everything. I collect vintage cast iron cookware and nothing beats it. Keep them nicely seasoned and nothing will ever stick to them. They hold heat EXTREMELY well and evenly. The 8 quart cast iron dutch-oven-with-lid is god's gift to chefs. You can bake bread in it, braise short ribs in it, make stir-fries in it, you name it.

They're a little more effort to clean and keep seasoned but it's SO worth it.

most restaurants that do big steaks like porterhouse use two levels of heat - if you just broil you will burn the outside and it'll be too rare on the inside so they cook it in the oven then run it under the broiler to get the outside all nice and browned

at home you can replicate or make a two level charcoal grill

thinner steaks don't require this, just make sure to use a high level of heat (gas rangetop essential for this) - most home cooks are sissies in this regard

the winter omakase at kaiseki sakura in toronto included wagyu as a ninth course. while everyone at the table was pretty well sated by that point, the consensus was that, while the texture and richness of the meat were unparalleled, it wasn't the most flavourful cut of meat we'd ever tried. a well-aged ribeye is awfully hard to beat.

wow just re-read the thread no mentio of l'entrecot in paris or in london

this is not just best stake iv ever had the best meal iv ever had

this place has no menu just asks how you would like your stake ... rare always the best

fresh walnut salad to start, then a pre cut steak fresh with beautiful frech fries done to perfection and their secret sauce that if you ever taste you will never feel the same about stake and chips/fries again not even godon ramsay could compete with this place

btw they come round twice with seconds for you :) ha just to make it even more perfect

the desert menu is amazing my personal choice is praline ice cream but if you have anything it will be amazing

really this is the only place the parisians que up for and when you have eaten their it is obvious why

what did you pay?

• 1 year later...
Côte de boeuf at Minetta Tavern

damn, i wanted that but none of my dining partners would go in on it.

my best steak ever was a bistecca alla fiorentina in florence at some mom and pop hole in the wall. they cooked it over a big wood fire in the corner of the room.

my best steak was at il latini in florence... no wood fire though. please note only grass fed beef should even be considered

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.barberians.com/

Best steak ever... My dad used to go to this place back in the 80s and golf with the owner back then. For my grad dinner a few years ago we went to a Morton's and ended up leaving after the initial wine because of the crass. We drove down to Barabrians after not having been there for years and they remembered us and still let my dad park in the owners spot because they used to be buddies. The staff has been there forever and probably make a fortune in tips and they have the best wine list in the country. If you are even in Toronto this is the place to go!

• 4 weeks later...

Chicago-Webers, Gibsons, Rosebud Prime-This one was the best ever IMO

and Dammit all to hell for not remembering the steakhouse I went to three times in downtown T.dot but it was right up there with Rosebud.

I know how to get there but don't know the street names that it resides on.....

http://www.barberians.com/

Best steak ever... My dad used to go to this place back in the 80s and golf with the owner back then. For my grad dinner a few years ago we went to a Morton's and ended up leaving after the initial wine because of the crass. We drove down to Barabrians after not having been there for years and they remembered us and still let my dad park in the owners spot because they used to be buddies. The staff has been there forever and probably make a fortune in tips and they have the best wine list in the country. If you are even in Toronto this is the place to go!

i like barberian's a lot... but a couple weeks ago for my birthday this year i went to this spot down by yonge and king and it was actually one of the best steaks i've ever eaten, reaaaaally one of those dark, woodpaneled, old money looking kind of spots. not my scene, but... they grill some mean meat

http://www.tomjonessteakhouse.com/