Hype

sohoADDICT

Many people hate on hypebeasts , but IMO site members here buy into hype just as much as someone on hypebeast (myself included). Whats the difference between someone here getting some Diors and someone getting some streetware brand jeans on another site? I think people here buy there "special" selvage jeans because of the hype surrounding it rather than because they particuraly like the garment. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that some people may even begin to start to like a garment that they may have not normally liked, due to being brainwashed by all the SuFu hype.

i agree to a point with this. this place does have a hive mind mentality, and alot is driven by sufu hype... just look at supermarket and the quick turnover of hot jeans.

My second point: The word "quality" is thrown around here quite often, and i think some people dont even know what it means in terms of clothing. Let me explain with an example: I have a pair of sean john jeans from 8th grade (when i was in my baggy clothing phase) that still fit me, so i wear them every once in awhile. Now obviously sean john isnt known for its quality, nor are the jeans selvage, yet they held up perfectly so far (i just graduated HS). My point is, as long as u treat your clothing decently, theres no point in getting selvage denim because it "lasts longer". i dont think its even a proven fact that it lasts longer.

i dont agree with you here. the quality of the japanese brands that are beasted over here is there. if you treat them properly, a pair of samurais will last longer than a pair of levis. if you dont, it wont matter what they are. ive never had a pair of jeans hold up to the abuse ive given them like my 15oz samurais. ive never seen jeans as well constructed as my ande whalls. ive never seen denim like on my dubbleworks.

Finally, I have a question- besides the hype of the brand, and the name "Dior", what attracts people to those jeans (and other "SuFu-approved brands) such as sugarcane, flathead, etc)? To me, they look quite ordinary. Granted, they may have some nice detailing in things such as the contrast stiching, but nothing special. Why pay so much for jeans that look ordinary? its not like anybody would know what company they are, how much you paid, and they dont feel any more comfortable than any other pair of jeans.

doir? cut. other jeans? quality and detailing. if you dont uderstand this, dont come to a board that is known for the minimalist asthetic.

i know im gonna catch a bunch of hate for this but i could care less about some random internet people disliking me

yes, you do care. otherwise you would have not put up this little qualifing sentance.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why people join this forum expecting everyone to explain to them why certain things are done here and assume all the members will just cater to their questions which are easy to grasp if they just took some time to read up on things or just spent a little time lurking around.

Read around and step your knowledge up instead of jumping into a forum where you are a minority in terms of your mindset and expecting everyone to explain everything to you. If you don't know, you probly don't need to.

To me, they look quite ordinary. Granted, they may have some nice detailing in things such as the contrast stiching, but nothing special. Why pay so much for jeans that look ordinary? its not like anybody would know what company they are, how much you paid, and they dont feel any more comfortable than any other pair of jeans.

This is the point. You also misunderstand the 'quality' aspect. It's not simply a case of 'these special jeans hold up while those shitty jeans disentigrate after a number of years.' Your over-simplifying the entire situation. People like Dior because of the cut and the understated style, not because of its name's allure.

edit: I think that we have a 'hive mentality' because we are all (for the most part) fairly similar. We have similar aesthetic sensibilities, philosophy, musical tastes, etc. When something strikes one of our fancies, it makes sense that the rest would be impressed even though they are not 'following' another's lead.

a) Put it this way, why buy APC over Dior if they look so similar? if the basic raw jean look is what youre going for, why pay $100+ extra, its not even like anyone knows theyre dior jeans.

That's the point, man. There are so many factors that come into play with this question. The cuts are completely different, the denim is completely different, the length is completely different, the fades are completly different, the countries of origin are completely different. The only thing that you keep getting right is that nobody on most streets know the difference between X and Y. The main thing that you keep missing is that we dont give a flying fuck.

also why the name, sohoADDICT, it implies that you are A) fashionable, due to your knowledge of soho and that it is a fashionable place B) that you are thereby an addict of fashion, and would do anything to be that which is "hype"

it doesn't make sense for you to post on a message board dedicated to the concept of "hype" - meaning we purchase higher end clothing, denim, accessories, etc. because we chose to. you're refusal of accepting that people would rather spend $200 on a pair of selvage jeans (some people) than $30 on a pair of Levi's STF its useless and pretty annoying. there are reasons brands such as Dior and APC are popular because they ensure a sense of style to the wearer, regardless of the fact that he or she might have no style at all. thats the concept of "hype" - the sense that we have been able to buy a style, but not necessarily adhere to it.

in honesty, don't believe the hype, and go your own way. but don't get that confused with being a snide jerk-off and telling us we're wrong in our want to purchase higher scale apparrel. if you just ask questions and don't parade around like you know whats what and how everything works, you'll get along fine with everyone. i too sometimes wonder why everyone buys such expensive stuff, but i don't make sure everyone knows my disdain for it. the point is: treat others as you would want to be treated, and get the facts before you attack or defend something. i'm guilty of being a noob, but i have the sense enough to know that there are people here who know more about this stuff than i do, so just listen up, rather than shutting it out.

and thats my

two%20cents%20pix.jpg

Not only does the OP seem to miss the whole point of this board.

There are already 17!!!! pages on a very similar topic!!!

If the OP wouldn't be such a lazy fuck and read up on the topic he's trying to have an opinion on, he probably wouldn't have felt the need to start this thread.

Fuck off!!!

For people genuinly interested, go search for ring ring's posts.

Not only does the OP seem to miss the whole point of this board.

There are already 17!!!! pages on a very similar topic!!!

If the OP wouldn't be such a lazy fuck and read up on the topic he's trying to have an opinion on, he probably wouldn't have felt the need to start this thread.

Fuck off!!!

For people genuinly interested, go search for ring ring's posts.

thats not similar... i never said i didnt like apc, dior etc. hell if they werent so expensive i might get some just to switch it up between washed and raw denim. and for the record, i buy into hype too, i never said i was innocent. i just generally buy into a different type...

and thank you to the people that answered my question