Hair Thread

qom

ive got really fine asian hair as well, and for years i was looking for ways to try and make my hair thicker and more volume looking

those methods may work on a daily basis. but if you want more volume long-term you need to stop using product and blowdrying. au naturel is ze way to go

i wish i knew this years ago, let me know what you think

Yeah, a lot of high end asian(esp japanese) salons have been doing/suggesting this for years. Something I would add is using a soft hair wax while its wet (something like gatsby air rise) and then lightly blow dry it into what you want it to look like. Then use a harder wax to keep everything in place.

fobsquad makes a good point, though. I used to do this, but it's terrible for your scalp/hair. It eventually led up to me having pretty bad dandruff. So now I just stopped using product in my hair completely. Occasionally I use pomade for dress-up events.

btw has anyone here do the water only washing method?

If you do not use any products, how is your hair at work then?

Does this explain why all Asian workers I see have really sloppy hairdos? Don't be afraid of product, just know how to use it and take care of your scalp.

fyi, I do not blow dry hair anymore or use shampoo daily. it helps.

Once you style your hairdo (a part etc.) enough, your hair should should easily fall in that "shape"

and if your pomade is not holding to the point you use a blow dryer, perhaps try stronger ones. that, and invest in a comb

everyone brings up good points about long term hair growth

how did you guys go about backing up on the shampooing? did you go cold turkey and just cut back straight away or ease into it by slowly taking a day off?

the most days i can go without shampooing is about that 2-3 day mark, then the hair just gets oily

using product also tends to force me to shampoo everyday

I have to say though that the most important thing I do first is to completely wash my hair under the sink and then completely towel dry it. This makes it really limp and easy to style. If i had it as a dry combover before and then tried to slick it back it'd never work no matter what product I was using.

cosign on this, slight dampness is necessary. my bad hair days are usually a result of letting it dry too long before putting in product.

I shampoo only once a week at the most, I just cut my hair so ill probably end up doing it even less since i don't use any product. Before i cut i was using a pomade product and still only shampooing once a week, i would shower regularly(like every day or every other day) and wash my hair with water+comb it in the shower, then re apply product after i showered.

for those who can't stand not shampooing, maybe try a dry shampoo, also are you guys conditioning aswell?

i use 2 different shampoos, head n shoulders and one that doesn't fight dandruff

on days when i use the h&s i also condition my hair because it tends to feel dry and brittle afterwards. i always blow dry my hair (but not 100% dry) because i have thick hair that takes forever to dry on its own and during the colder months of the year it can get very cold on your head.

I shampoo everyday. B/c living in a country with summer all year round with an avg of 30C and 98% humidity means I can't really go w/o a shampoo for more than 2 days.

Which brings me to my question: in this climate, how to ensure your volume doesn't fall down after a couple of hours?

I know hair sprays sets the style in place but I've been fking with no spray for the past week (more natural looking concept). My hair's all nice and bouncy and voluminous in the morning and limp as hell later in the evening.

I could recommend Glynt's Botanic Volume Shampoo 2. Not sure if it will suit an everyday shampoo, because it's more expensive than average stuff and some users complaining about habituation (for myself - I have no problems with it).

me. it sounds gross but it's really not bad at all once your hair gets accustomed to it and stops overproducing oils. I shower every day, but shampoo once a week.

^This.

I used to shampoo twice a day (hated going to bed w/ product in my hair) and now I shampoo about once every week (sometimes more).

My hair used to be oily straight asian hair and now it appears a lot wavier and definitely has more volume. This was after about 2 months of doing this process. Hair is a lot less oily too.

n1039754554_2130084_1489.jpg

i don't do anything to my hair other then wash it, i wake up, and its like this. have to get it cut every couple months or it seriously gets outta control. just image Slash from GnR

^This.

I used to shampoo twice a day (hated going to bed w/ product in my hair) and now I shampoo about once every week (sometimes more).

My hair used to be oily straight asian hair and now it appears a lot wavier and definitely has more volume. This was after about 2 months of doing this process. Hair is a lot less oily too.

will I get sick fades if i don't wash for 6+ months?