Hair Thread

qom

As long as you can communicate with the barber and perhaps reference some photos of the style you are going for, it should turn out better than worse.

in other words know what you want and just tell whoever is servicing you. they are after all just barbers and not mind readers. i think the better more expensive stylists may know better what suits your head shape though if are curious and ask.

going out for a haircut again today actually. been scheduling it every month now instead of 2-3 months

I've gone through so many different hairdressers, expensive and cheap, honestly the price doesn't matter it all boils down to finding somebody you like. I've paid $55 for a girl who did hair for some models in nyc for fashion week for a couple years- she also did a fantastic job. I've paid $50 for a pretty mediocre job from a similar stylist though. Right now I'm paying $20 at a barbershop from some gearhead who cuts hair on the side and the quality is just the same. As for actual differences, the expensive stylist uses $400 scissors from japan, top dollar product (who cares though I wash my hair when I get home anyways), and offers to wash my hair before and after the haircut. When she cut my hair she wouldn't use anything electric, all done by hand. If she had to clean up my lines (ie behind ears bottom of neck etc) she would bust out the electric razor or use a manual single blade depending on how much she needed to shorten. The new barber uses the electric razor much more on the sides, but still does a decent job at arriving at the same look.

Edited by Fycus

^yes also i think the more professional / higher end boutiques will cut exclusively with shears vs. electric that to me alone is worth the extra $$$. that said though, you can certainly ask any salon to have your hair cut with scissors only. just be sure to tip accordingly because it takes a little more work on their end.

another successful cut : )

stylist had big boobs. will see you again tran

Oh, another thing I noticed with the prices going up is communication and understanding of what cut/style you want becomes easier.

< $15 and the stylist/barber may give you a blank face

> $15 and the ease in communicating is easier and they'll give you feedback

but this is also very much dependent on whether they speak english or a language you understand say korean/chinese/Vietnamese

(i'm asian redface.gif)

Edited by gettoasty

I've had 60-75 dollar haircuts, but now I've found a Japanese hairdresser that cuts on par with them. Shampoo before and after, great service and conservations, and only $15. She's cute, too redface.gif

It all comes down to who you find.

Edited by limbo

AYYY no no not at all

I am trying a few myself

i think it is more so the product rather than hair. people always rave about asian hair being easy to style

i dunno

never found that to be true but trying to look at the bigger picture

get the sides tapered like 1.5/2 and let the top grow. brush it big or to the side with some product for added texture.

i've been getting 3 on the side but that is still too long. need to try a 2 this weekend then perhaps a 1 for some real contrast

Edited by gettoasty

sucks having asian hair.

It's manageable once it grows out to a decent length, but when it's short you have to get it constantly cut or else you get that fro going

like toasty mentioned, getting 1/2 on the sides and monthly appts are good if you want pomp/jugend looks

also, you could do those DvN looks with an extreme undercut with 1 on the sides

gettoasty Have you ever permed your hair? I have extremely thick/straight hair, and getting perm done made whole lot of difference. not the crazy fro like perm, but just subtle perm made hair styling helluva lot easier giving me volume where I need it.

about my haircut couple posts up, I cut it short on both side and back. Its good to have friend who's a good hairstylist.

I dont know if its because I am getting older, but I went from having thick straight bushy asian hair to wavy hair. Its only straight if I blow dry it, I just towel dry and let it air dry. My wife claims its because I eat more washoku, hijiki, natto, tsukemono since we got married and less crap. If I dont use any product it looks like the 2nd pic from the blog posted.

6977388374_4cbb516193_n.jpg

back in Feb

6977388414_5abcc0a53b_n.jpg

6977388382_37fb007816_n.jpg

new haircut today. don't really like the sides. could be more aggressive and just shave it instead of blending/fading it (#2 on the sides)

product is some axe...someone rec. me a good product

Edited by gettoasty