Tips on removing zits/pimples

STC

moisturize moisturize moisturize!! When I started really being strict about moisturizinf after I washed it made a huge difference.

I used every product under the sun for years and my two faves ended up being that St. Ives Apricot scrub, and Dermalogica anti-bac skin wash.

The BEST thing though was the pill.. my skin cleared, my boobs got bigger and noooo moorrre periodsss.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get your doctor to prescribe you a vitamin a cream. i think mine was called isotrex.

i find that with that benozyl peroxide shit it works at first.. and then you just get immune to it so you need a higher concentration spot cream.

oh. and you could take birth control. i heard that shit is magical

moisturize moisturize moisturize!! When I started really being strict about moisturizinf after I washed it made a huge difference.

I used every product under the sun for years and my two faves ended up being that St. Ives Apricot scrub, and Dermalogica anti-bac skin wash.

The BEST thing though was the pill.. my skin cleared, my boobs got bigger and noooo moorrre periodsss.

This is shit is rough.

my dad used to tell me to put rubbing alcohol on it.

freshmen year roommate recommended putting a dab of toothpaste on it before you sleep.

both worked.

kind of.

Whenevr I use rubbing alcohol it irritates the pimple/zit making it swole up.

The toothpaste does work , but it has to be the white pasty toothpastes not the gel ones.

does accutane really make your skin that dry? am i gonna be shedding like a motherfucker all day? if i drink alot of water will it solve the problem?

accutane does dry your skin out quite a bit. i never really shed when i was on it though - like people have mentioned before, stay hydrated, use an oil free noncomedogenic face lotion if your face feels overly dry, minimize sun exposure and you'll be fine.

i was an acne prone teenager and i can't be fucked to read an entire thread about pimples, so forgive me if my advice has been said already.

the only prescribed shit i've ever gone with is Differin gel and benzoyl peroxide. it worked well. i would only fuck with prescription drugs if you got something like awful bacne or something else hard to reach. i never fucked with accutaine because women aren't allowed to take that shit when pregnant because it will make your baby deformed... bugs me out.

post-teenage years i stick to neutrogena products... simple daily face wash (the orange stuff) and on the spot treatment. the on the spot is your best bet for dealing with a single pimple.

never touch your face, wash your hands a lot especially if you ride the subway.

This is the best advice in this thread, maybe minus the artificial tanning and witch hazel (witch hazel is usually sold suspended in some percentage of rubbing alcohol)...

-caffeine: terrible for your skin, gives the capillaries in your face hell

-nicotine: similar story

-salt: bad for you in general, most people consume too much salt and sodium. That 'water retention' that girls bitch about is no joke for guys either, when you are holding in fluids that is giving your circulatory system a hard time.

Shaving kills your skin. It sloughs dead cells and exfoliates, but also like someone mentioned does that at the price of making tons of micro cuts in your face and opening up pores. Electric razors are much better for sensitive skin/people who tend to grow more robust facial hair.

Men need to use sunscreen, every single day, most don't. (do you?) Choose these wisely. Sunscreen will help in evening skin tone as well, for people with existing scars and discoloration.

Popping pimples: not so good, but if they're small and limited in size (like the ones caused immediately by eating oily food or stepping into a sauna), you may just have whiteheads or folliculitis (common among people with darker skin/rougher more robust hair texture). In that case it's ok to get a comedone extraction tool and push the whitehead out, often these won't even break blood vessels depending on the oil content of your skin. If you have an uncomfortable pimple that seems to magically grow by the minute or one you've just popped, put an ice pack on it for 5-15 minutes. Controlling swelling with ice is just like any other time, when you'd sprain your ankle, etc. Swelling from inflammation and your white blood cells rushing to fill a sensitive point can be localized if you ice it down right away.

Wash your face with a gentle soap, in lukewarm (not hot) water. Dr. Bronners or Ivory is pure soap, meaning it is likely too strong for many people and will strip moisture while not cleaning deep enough. You could use those diluted/lathered with water maybe, but it's easier to get a facial wash that is intended for everyday gentle washing. Most better women's brands offer something like this. Rinse in cold water.

Toning is important for removing soap residue. Don't forget to go all the way down the neck where any larger hair follicles might be. You can use witch hazel which is good as an ingredient, but don't use any that has rubbing alchohol in it. They sell combinations of witch hazel/lemon juice which are good, or iris/witch hazel, also good. Citric acid fades discoloration in skin as well.

Moisturize, day and night.

Lastly, it's pretty obvious, but drink a lot of water, and, last but not least,

Have lots of sex. (With yourself is ok if you have no other options.)

Not sure about acne but a good routine goes something like this:

-Use a facewash that's appropriate for your skin

-Tone

-Moisturize

-Exfoliate once a week

-Mask once a week

-Wear sunscreen every day

yeah, i do the whole wash, tone and moisturize routine in the mornings but never tried sunscreen every day. do you typically apply sunscreen after moisturizing? doesn't it clog up pores?

in the mornings, i'll use a light cleanser like neutrogena. at nights, in the shower, i use the st ives apricot scrub shit which helps exfoliate the skin.

for whats its worth i struggled a touch with this shit as a teenager, even though mild it was persistant. tried a fuck load of topicals, antibiotics, etc.

found my solution in a gentle cleanser and 2% bha liquid before bed. both from paulas choice. haven't had mad breakouts in a long time now..

this dude in my building swears that going tanning twice a week heals his acne

i think he just goes tanning cause hes a wanna be guido piece of shit, of course...but then again, what do i know? never really dealt with acne