ITS OKAY NIKE I STILL LOVE YOU!!!

Selegna

Well, I wasn't expecting that. I'm not a fan of Minor Threat, but I am surprised Nike issued a statement about it. Hehe, trying to calm upset MT fans. Whoops. I wonder how many people working at Nike troll message boards gauging the opinion of 'trendsetters.' Or maybe they got e-mails from rabid fans threatening to....continue to not wear Nike.

Brand is everything to Nike. The whole reason they even bother with the limited edition / SB shit is to maintain / build the brand by keeping Nikes on the feet of people that consumers look up to / aspire to be like. While the MT poster might seem like a small thing, it's easy to put a foot wrong and undo a load of positive branding if it pisses off the wrong people.

Personally, I thought it was hilarious. I thought the fact that people got upset about it was even funnier. Did anyone really imagine that Nike gave two shits about their 'scene'? The only thing Nike gives a fuck about is selling as many things with swooshes on them as they can. Dischord could have handled the matter a little more intelligently by pointing this out instead of getting outraged.

yakboy, i think you are definitely on point.

and i definitely give nike sb credit for their smooth pr tactic to soften the blow.

i do believe that this in no way will affect nike sb's credibility as a skate brand..

if anything, it'll bring more attention to the tour and make them seem cooler for

even doing a graphic inspired by MT.

Nike has always been good at communicating themselves to the mass and niche

markets. How brilliant are they for creating a fucking culture of sneak freaks and

skaters alike under the same umbrella (despite their philosophy of being made

for skaters only, etc.) talk about killing two birds with one stone. Who said brands

can't be all things to all people?

dig.

Quote:

Well, I wasn't expecting that. I'm not a fan of Minor Threat, but I am surprised Nike issued a statement about it. Hehe, trying to calm upset MT fans. Whoops. I wonder how many people working at Nike troll message boards gauging the opinion of 'trendsetters.' Or maybe they got e-mails from rabid fans threatening to....continue to not wear Nike.

--- Original message by neawts on Jun 28, 2005 06:20 AM

exactly..... anyone who wears nikes has no right to be upset. If you are a minor threat fan or agree with their message, you wouldn't be sporting nikes in the first place. If you don't feel guilty wearing swooshes on your feet, then you wouldn't feel pissed about that whole major threat poster. It's a huge contradiction. I think it's funny because it seems most of the people who got pissed about it were mostly heads who wear nikes, or into "street wear" and all that lafayette street bullshit, just trying to keep up on coolness by backing something more "revolutionary" than nike. ie that invisible man poster. Ive seen interviews with that dude rocking dunks. Get a life.

Looky here, it's just the way the cookie tear. Prepare to get hurt and mangled like Kurt Angle, rookie year.

Quote: Nike has always been good at communicating themselves to the mass and niche

markets. How brilliant are they for creating a fucking culture of sneak freaks and

skaters alike under the same umbrella (despite their philosophy of being made

for skaters only, etc.) talk about killing two birds with one stone. Who said brands

can't be all things to all people?

The fact that they do have great tech in their shoes and are never afraid to experiment with design doesn't hurt but you're totally on point...it's the branding that Nike really excel at. Nikes can be the ultimate brand for a sneaker freak...a solid skate / basketball / running shoe for a skater / baller / runner...a status symbol for the kid on the street corner. It's amazing. Especially when you consider how snobby all of the above groups can be about other shit.

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Jun 28, 2005 at 09:47 AM

here's the thing about this. think about this: imagine had dischord put out an ad that an unmistakable appropriation of Nike, without ever having contacted Nike. No matter the intentions. Nike lawyers would have descended upon Dischord like a plague of locusts. I think Dischord had every right to be angry, and to issue a cease and desist. Nike and other corporations have to learn that there should not be a double standard of suing everyone in the name of intellectual property, and not demanding the same for their own practices. Frankly, i can't believe the number of people on here siding with Nike. It has nothing to do with whether or not you like(d) Minor Threat. Big corporations have to learn that they created this atmosphere of ownership, so they'd better damn well abide by it. Nike doesn't give two shits about skateboarding, and i find it hard to believe that skaters have welcomed Nike into their scene.

^^ good point...

but then again, didn't supreme rip off the "Bo Knows" campaign on their tee's? i'm surprised nike didn't do anything...

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Its kinda crazy, nike really reads these kind of boards. In the letter they say sorry they upset so many people. Where?? on here? (places like this) did they really get that much fuzz for this. Nike is cool, but 2005 is Adidas' year! They got so much good stuff coming out, its very refreshing. I could see why a lot of kids are leaving the swoosh for good now.

looks like a tranny fire. the dude has a high boost aftermarket turbo on it and some other engine mods, with duct tape all over. it was gonna happen one way or another. take their advice, a $50 fire distinguisher goes a long way. icon_smile_big.gif

"God is Dead" - Neitzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif