US Spelling Bee Champ Evan O'Dorney. Social Outcast or Reclusive Genious

homi29

saw this on the hundreds blog, decided it was share worthy

this kid is a genius on one level, but seems to lack certain social skills that define normal human beings..

see the youtube videos below

I know some kids like this (albeit not as smart), and im not sure whether to feel sorry for them, or envious that in one sense their ignorance is a source of bliss for them

vSojmWBwwnk

H6iwD4PI47c

gfdovxnbt5c

videos range from amusing to hilarious

social skills?

he is fucking 13. Maybe a bit nerdy and/or nervous, but not a fucking "social outcast".

True. The homeschooling doesn't help much, I would say. And the whole Jimmy Kimmel show was pathetic, I mean they must've met him before the show so it was obvious that he would be an easy target for these jokes so why make them.

I dunno, seemed somehow wrong.

yea, that was painfully awkward. sucks that he pretty much got ridiculed on every tv appearance he made. that dumb news lady telling him he spelled it correctly when in fact he didnt certainly didnt help things.

social skills?

he is fucking 13. Maybe a bit nerdy and/or nervous, but not a fucking "social outcast".

He's not a social outcast because he doesnt have a social life in the first place.

If he goes to school for the first time in Gr. 9 he will definately not fit in with the crowd, simply because he doesnt do well in social situations. Look at the way he responded to Jimmy Kimmel, he was completely blank, pretty much useless when put in social circumstances.

i've yet to see a homeschooler who turns out normal

i've got a few friends who were homeschooled up until like highschool and are here with me now. and they're pretty normal. (senior in hs btw). but the majoirty of kids i've seen homeschooled are creepers at the least.

i've yet to see a homeschooler who turns out normal

hahaha.

i only met homeschooled(sp?) kids at my old job.

they were adopted into this really strict no mtv, no going out, born again christian household. i always felt weird if she had get togethers or whtever because she didn't really have friends outside of work, so i felt obligated to go. the house itself creeped me out. she was a year older than me, so like 19 at the time...and we all had to play like scrabble.

her brother got charged with rape lol, and ran away form home.

she is 21 and still stays very very loyal to her parents.

crazy to see how different they turned out.

oh.

and she had her birthday party at this chinese buffet which was cool.

but her whole church was there and her mom got on this microphone and started saying she was a gift from god and started crying. and for some reason i ended up at the head table next to her mom haha. so im standing next to her mom facing bascially her whole church..while the mom is singing some psalm crying.while my friend next to me is kicking me trying to make me laugh.

good times.

socially awkward. i saw the end of the contest, and when they asked if he liked that he won, he said something along the lines of "it's just memorization, i like math and music better." honest, but doesn't make you a winner in other people's eyes.

I wasn't watching closely but were those really his parents in the audience cracking up with Jimmy Kimmel as their son was being made fun of?

i couldn't laugh because the kid was oblivious to everything happening around him. i guess seems somehow unfair.

his parents seem pretty normal, except i can see them trying to milk their kid for every cent he's worth

see this clip , fast forward to the middle for his parents

rFGz0IkfP30

seems like he writes his own concertos and is awesome at math and piano. I feel bad for the kid on one hand, but on the other i have to wonder if he's socially aware enough to even know that people mock him and be-little him despite his alien evolved brain

reminds me of the kid genious in magnolia (great movie bbtw)