What kind of suit do you have?

Guest nyctaipei

There are many differents cuts but, overall, Canali are relatively boxy, even compared to Zegna in my experience.

.......guess it always depends on your body type at the end of the day. I am a slender but have broad shoulders and the 3 that I have from Canali fit me perfectly. Zegnas are always too wide in the chest for me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nyctaipei

I'm looking for something slim fit. Not too tight, but definitely not boxy or loose looking.

Zegna, Canali, Boss are what I will check out this week at Saks!

Hopefully they are some sales....

Charcoal grey 2 button is the best for first suit eh?

Keep more recommendations or pics comin`

Thanks fellas

There are many differents cuts but, overall, Canali are relatively boxy, even compared to Zegna in my experience.

they sell some pretty good varvatos usa suits at bloomies which are some of the slimmest they carry out there. they run from $795-$995 and are all on sale right now. but don't expect to walk in to a sale and find a full selection of 38R suits because that's usually the first size to go.

My only suit is a bespoke three button in charcoal with a faint windowpane check from a savile row tailor, the whole experience is worthwhile with several visits from the super foxy girl and discussions and changing my mind god knows how many times.

As long as your body shape doesn't change so much it'll last forever and as long as you go for a classic style it won't look funny in years to come. You also get fully fuctional cuff buttons (you wont see these on off the rack suits) as a rule and endless other great details.

Bespoke suits from Savile row tailors generally start at about £1400 up to £3000 or more depending on which you choose.

Not much use for the OP but I thought I'd share.

When it comes to suits... Invest.

Go bespoke, it'll be with you forever. So that justifies the price.

I dont necessarily agree with this. while going with the cheapest option might not be the best idea, I dont think you need a custom suit to look good. for example, I've had some decently priced suits in the past, and have mostly moved on from them due to change in personal taste, fitment preference etc. if I had a bespoke suit I'm quite sure I'd be much more pissed if I wouldn't wear it anymore. especially in this case when the dude is looking for his first suit. I'd bet that at some points his taste might change, he might want a different color, cut, shape, size, fit etc. personally, I'd much rather see some designer suit become unworn than a bespoke one. might be easier to give to someone else or sell as well.

what goes for suits, my favorite right now is by Raf Simons. I paid under €500 for it and love everything about it. the somewhat boxy, slim but not overly tapered cut is very nice. I also have a Filippa K suit, quite slim fitted with the jacket being slightly more tapered pr fitted than the Raf suit.

most suits I've seen from brands like Zegna, Boss or others you mentioned are quite traditional in terms of cut, something I'll rather let my father wear. I cant of course say for sure without knowing your style, but I'd a guess a more modern, slimmer cut would definately suit a young guy like you better.

I got 4 givenchy including one from the oswald boateng collection, 1 "Et Vous" I believe it is only distributed in France, and 1 Gucci is about to land in my closet. Next should be a Dior, probably winter collection, I need at least one suit designed by Slimane :D

FYI, if you are looking for a trendy look, opt for 2 buttons

I have 2 amazing suits. Dior Homme as well as a Hugo Boss.

The Dior suit is black and classic, they release it every season. I got it with 19cm pants.

The Boss suit is navy pin-stripe. Great for interviews or work.

I'm looking to purchase 2 more suits, I know one will for sure be j.lindeberg, maybe another Dior Homme. We'll see.

I hear good things about Social Suicide, check em out: http://www.socialsuicide.co.uk/aw-2006/index.htm

It might not be appropriate for a wedding, but they're fun suits if you have the money.

I'm lucky, I can fit into all my dad's suits. So I have a couple Zegna's and a Givenchy. And some more, but I don't remember the names.

was that a really good joke or are u on crack?

I have a black two button, black two button slim, and brown pinstripe two button slim. I want to get a gray but I don't think it suits me. (pun not intended).

Suit shopping highly depends on your body type... if your shoulders are 36 or smaller basically nothing off the rack will ever fit perfectly. The same can be said about how broad your chest is. I spent the better part of 3 years going suit shopping in hundreds of stores in different cities and never found a suit that was perfect until a few months ago.

There were two vintage handmade custom hilton suits that were made for someone exactly my size. One a heathered navy and one a heathered grey. I was in the process of having a tailor measure me for an MTM when he stopped suddenly, ran back and pulled these out for me. He'd apparently picked them up a few years prior and had been holding on to them for the right customer. It was like magic. After searching for so many years with a specific vision of what I wanted, to finally be able to put it on... I just love them.

i have a glen plaid brioni suit that im too lazy to get tailored. and im too lazy to take pictures of it and sell it.

edit. shit. im not even sure if its glen plaid. i havent seen it in a while. im 100% sure its gray though.

At this stage, I'm with lowrey. Your first suit, as long as you're not getting it because you just got a job that requires you to wear suits, is likely not going to be around all that long.

I would say at this point, get a suit that FITS. Don't worry about whether its fused/canvassed etc etc, because chances are you aren't going to be wearing it nearly enough/long enough that you'll notice the difference there.

I"m highly against the idea of going bespoke at this point, I'm guessing you're relatively young, so not only will your idea of what a suit is supposed to look like on you change, your body type/size will also likely change. Go for off the rack, with the necessary alterations. Its very unlikely that the suit will fall apart before your tastes change.

Paul Smith, Lindeberg, Prada, Sander, Raf, Tiger of Sweden, Costume National, I bet all of these would make a great fitting suit for you.

where did u find a raf simons suit for less than 500 euros?

at a local boutique that sells Raf. jacket 269€, pants 189€ if I remember correctly. but some of the suits differ in price, this was the cheaper type. I think their markup is relatively low though, as opposed to ridicilously high at some places.

have a few suits, different price scales. dont have to suit up too often.

topshop (got these before i left for a trip, fit perfect off the rack)

dolcegabbana (great piece, simple but very edgy)

emporio armani (enjoy wearing this, comfortable and has differnt looks, can fold up the collar ad button up for a mandarin collar which is pretty sick)

at a local boutique that sells Raf. jacket 269€, pants 189€ if I remember correctly. but some of the suits differ in price, this was the cheaper type. I think their markup is relatively low though, as opposed to ridicilously high at some places.

oh, so it's raf by raf simons and not raf simons, right?

it's still cheap for what i am used to see here, but that price for raf simons would be insane, correct me if i'm wrong on the label though.

I wear suits/dress clothing for work every day and my job is half a fashion show, people actually compete for the best dressed prize and the 50k bonus that comes with it !, As a first suit you should go with either a Black, black with pinstripes, grey, or navy blue color. Dont listen to the guy talking about "who's funeral is it jokes". Whoever does make a comment like that is obviously immature and most likely has no sense of style. Black suits are hot. For a more generic look, a blue shirt and yellow or red tie is reccomended. Experiment at your own risk. Bluefly.com is a good place to look fi you know your size, If not go to a store and get measured. Im a fan of zegna, Varvatos, D&g, Burberry, and hugo boss suits. Good luck !

all 2 button, notch lapel:

dior homme - grey

hugo red label - grey

h&m - navy

calibre (aussie label) - 1 plain black & 1 navy pinstripe

looking at getting another dior homme or raf simons suit. I've owned a Paul Smith suit in the past and I think they've got a great cut and not too bad pricewise

does anyone know if dior homme ever did a plain navy suit?

Im almost 100% sure Dior homme did do a navy suit i think it might have been last year. Ive been into peak lapel for the past couple of years. I got an amazing black peak lapel 2 button blazer with working buttons on the cuffs from karl lagerfeld around new years, its one of those items of clothing you rarely wear because you love it so much.

Guest nyctaipei

The only slim fit suit there was a Theory grey charcoal one.

anyone have any common store recomendations (Remember, I'm in Ohio..)?

The guy at Saks told me to check out Ticknors.

I'll have to check out Nordstrom or something...

buyin a suit is kind of stressful, haha

wish I was in NYC right now, argh

$1000 = $700 R/T ticket to Hong Kong + $300 bespoke suit

Basically...like I said last week, go to Hong Kong, get yourself suited up at a tailor with a fully bespoke, canvassed suit (personal recommendation: Bosco Tailor) for under a thousand bucks and total cost is still under 2K, which is what you'd pay for most of these RTW "modern, young looking" suits. Costume National suits aren't that great quality, the fit is fine but for the price/durability ratio i don't recommend it. Jil Sander suits aren't what they used to be, the ones i've tried on have an awkward cut and if you're tall and really slim like me it's doubtful you'll be able to fit into them...fabric wise, nothing special and it's not a very young look anyway if that's what you're going for. Raf Simons suits are alright and reasonably priced compared to most other high fashion brands, but the fit's always been an issue with me. Dior Homme is the one RTW brand i can think up that makes a great suit, but retail at around 2.2K, so if you can find one on sale for about 1,300 then i guess that's a worthy investment. Otherwise just get the basic black suit which is around 1600.

Brioni.

What a classic.

Unless you're getting a suit custom made from Brioni, in which case you're looking to spend thousands of dollars, it's doubtful their off the rack stuff would suit the average sf'er...way too old, stuffy and boxy.

If you are looking for a suit more relaxed in construction yet still elegant, i might as well throw Giorgio Armani out there, some people think it's overrated but i personally find some of the blazers/suits to be quite well fitting and versatile, and good quality...suits are about the same as DH in pricing for RTW.