Which stratocaster?

mizanation

lets post setups?

schecter c1 blackjack ---- amazing

keeley modded tube screamer ------ must have

traynor 40 watt tube ----- Traynor makes the best fucking "budget" tube amps around. seriously.

stock vintage 30 speaker.

swapped the stock tubes on the traynor for some JJ slovak import tubes.

had a ton of gear through the ages, mesa, marshalls, gibsons (still lusting after a vintage tele though) and this is the best setup i could find to suit my needs. check the reviews on the blackjack and the Traynor YCVW40WR... seriously.

AMP - http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Traynor/YCV40-WR+112+Combo/10/1

GUITAR - http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Schecter/C-1+Blackjack/10/1

only gripe on the guitar is i dont like it looks. but once you play, you will never go back. comes with duncans... stock.

i really need to swap the tubes from my 69 twin, but i don't play in a band anymore, so it's so hard to justify it

agreed on the tubescreamer- ive been debating whether to pick one up for awhile. heres my basic setup-

fender japan 68 strat reissue - vintage white, maple neck, fender texas specials. needs a refret though

dallas rangemaster clone -> wah face -> axis fuzz -> klemt echolette tape delay

i run all this through a fender 85 solid state amp. It's great for a vintage fuzzed out sound. Actually it's pretty close to the dungen guitar tone, i think he uses an echolette also. if you can find a good deal on an old tape echo its worth it.. they sound absolutely amazing.

Hopefully ill have a jtm45 clone arriving soon also.

Guest Airjamie

Bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit, and, I repeat again, BULLSHIT. The availability of higher quality substitutes for fenders out there today at comparable prices is insane, this market is fucking bulging, so to waste money on a usa made fender strat is, at best, unadvisable. Youre looking at the highway one strat, so im assuming you are looking to spend around $800-1000. This is still considered sconomical but you can get a really good instrument for that price. If you have your heart dead set on a fender, consider one of their japanese factory models. The japanese models are FAR better quality than anything the US shop produces and almost universally lower cost. This is due, like most things, to the japanese markets greater demand for attention to detail in product. The defecit in quality vis-a-vis the price resulted in the US shop losing alot of business in the 90s and pulling the japanese models from our shelves to be replaced by cheaper, inferior mexican made fenders. A great resource for looking these up is IKEBE. You can find their new selection here http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/shopping_20.php?state=1&cate=1&s_cate=1&brand=70 the website also contains links to a wide selection of used fender japan models although im too lazy to post it but im sure SUFU kids wont find it too difficult to navigate.

If youre looking for something a little higher end than that id point you to www.thegearpage.net Which is to guitars what our denim page is to jeans. A bunch of dudes totally obsessed with limited, artisnal guitars. Theres some amazing stuff posted on there but a word of caution if youre looking to post, THIS SHIT IS BEYOND SERIOUS. If you thought styleforum was bad, this shit takes the cake, you cant even say shit. No bad words and sarcasm kept to a minimum, however if you lust after guitars, there really is no other page.

Oh and my setup:

Bc rich 76 koa eagle bass, modded from active setup to passive with two darkstar pickups

84 Gibson SG reissue largebody, this is the exact same guitar ian mackaye used, with the roller bridge, block inlays, and weird larger body. Oh and wagner darkburst pickups.

Matamp 1224 (oldass model, they call it the gto now or something) single channel class a amp that i currently am running 6v6 tubes in but about to change. (fuck any other amp, you just dont understand)

2 matamp 8x10 speakers voiced to fuck you up.

Various death by audio/t rex/ blah blah boring effects

George l's cabels cause im fucking cheap.

A big muff, cause if you dont have one you is straight gay dude.

Guest Airjamie
i really need to swap the tubes from my 69 twin, but i don't play in a band anymore, so it's so hard to justify it

Uuuuh, tubes really arent that pricey?

Guest panicinapagoda

my rig, of sorts.

soldano avenger 50 watt head, 6L6 version

mesa boogie f-30 1x12 combo

2x12 convertible lopoline cab

cij 72' custom RI in blonde. planning to get the p.o.s wide range RI replaced with some original ones. seymour lil'59s in the callaham ash tray bridge.

schecter 006 blackjack, has-sound viper in the bridge overwound to 16k, dimarzio air norton in the neck.

squier 51 upgraded with GFS parts, tuned to drop B. duncan distortion and dimarzio crusier neck.

and my two pedals, catalinbread s.c.o.d and prescription electronics g.e.r.m ;)

thanks airjamie...

the CIJ strats are really tempting. i believe that even though they have a vintage 7.25 fretboard radius, they keep the neck profile to an "oval" shape--which translates to a modern c. and yes, i've spent many hours on the japanese online guitar stores, which makes my decision difficult.

does anyone in new york own a japanese strat that i can try out?

panicina - did the callaham bridge improve the sustain/tone significantly? I've been saving up for a callaham drop in pickguard assembly and hardware set for awhile, imo they're the best aftermarket fender parts supplier out there.

miz - im in nyc. shoot me a pm, you're welcome to try out my 68 RI.

Guest panicinapagoda
panicina - did the callaham bridge improve the sustain/tone significantly? I've been saving up for a callaham drop in pickguard assembly and hardware set for awhile, imo they're the best aftermarket fender parts supplier out there.

def a significant improvement. greater clarity and balls in the lower notes, less shrillish high end. the thicker steel plate has more sustain then my stock cij one. sounds better acoustically too!

Also, get a Pod XT Live. I feel this is absolutely necessary for anyone that doesn't already have one of these: Twin, Twin Reverb, JC-120, AC 30. Your tone seriously comes more from your amp than your guitar, and I see a lot of new guitarists going for $500+ guitars and 15w toy amps. DON"T DO THIS. I know a guy online who uses a squier strat with ebayed Eric Johnson pickups (from the signature strat) through a Fender Twin, and it sounds absolutely godly.

had one. sold it. boo digital