Soba in NYC?

jubei

Some of you may remember the Ramen in NYC thread...

well, now it's summer and I'm starting to get into the mood for some cold refreshing Soba (especially after this great Times Magazine article on Japanese cuisine I read over the weekend... will have to find the link)

Any of you noodle experts know great places for Soba?

I know there was one on Mercer that closed down... looked pretty good too :(

did honmura ann close down?

it was across from 45 rpm, I think.

It's very expensive but their soba is A+++.

Also, sobaya near st. marks bookstore is A++++++++++++++++++++.

Expect long lines bet. 6 to 9 PM.

The soba at those two restaurants > some average soba joint in tokyo.

Honmura An did close, I think it was actually featured in Sopranos last night when Tony and Meadow had dinner (i think one of them said something about sake bomb). It was a great place, shame they had to close down - and it wasn't even due to poor business - they were actually doing well.

It may not be traditional soba, but I highly recommend the Soba Salad at Soba Nippon on 52nd St. Gread dressing, healthy meal, I usually get it with thinly sliced roast beef.

Second the rec for Sobaya. Just had dinner there last night (hirame carpaccio and tem zaru) and it was great. Even the tempura with the tem zaru was excellent. Every place I've been in that restaurant group (includes Hasaki, Sakagura, and Cha-an) is excellent. Since Honmura An closed afaik Sobaya is really the only place to go.

• 3 weeks later...

bummer about honmura an, it was one of those places i always wanted to check out but was waiting for a right time that never came. sobaya is pretty hardcore, one of those places where they bring out all manner of accoutrements at various points during the meal as if you know what the hell you're doing. also has a great selection of sake btw.

• 2 weeks later...