TOKYO superfuture Superguide

xhomme

Been to tokyo many times over and i do know my way around most places..does the guide provide information about hard to find places, interesting places, and cool places off the radar ( ie artisan type work on jeans, book binding, couture....)

anyone care to share such places online..

hope you guys can help..

Just cant get enough of tokyo..its constantly changing..even NYC pales in comparison..hehe

• 1 month later...
I bought one. that shit is hella reliable.

It's a guide. The maps are small, it doesn't show street names, and the locations aren't exactly precise. I didn't think it was worth the $20. If you're expecting a babysitter, this guide isn't it.

I preferred reading old Tokyo threads in the superjetset section, and I often referenced herp's Tokyo blog. I was there for most of the summer, so I could spend whole days exploring districts. Most of the stores weren't hard to find anyway.

It's a guide. The maps are small, it doesn't show street names, and the locations aren't exactly precise. I didn't think it was worth the $20. If you're expecting a babysitter, this guide isn't it.

I preferred reading old Tokyo threads in the superjetset section, and I often referenced herp's Tokyo blog. I was there for most of the summer, so I could spend whole days exploring districts. Most of the stores weren't hard to find anyway.

I still haven't found nepenthes. It's suposed to be across from shibuya jidoukan (go up the hill next to cassina on meiji dori) but i just couldnt find it.

mr. hollywood is nearly impossible to find. i read a japanese blog with turn by turn directions with pictures. also the kuumba incense shop in yoyogi.

there's a whole lot of stores that are really hard to find...

It's a great guide - to get your started.

As others have said you will need to do a bit of searching yourself to find the places you're in the guide. Would also suggest a street map and ask (read: chat up) people for directions on the way as well!

It's not so bad because you'll get to explore a bit which is fun in itself.

I still haven't found nepenthes. It's suposed to be across from shibuya jidoukan (go up the hill next to cassina on meiji dori) but i just couldnt find it.

mr. hollywood is nearly impossible to find. i read a japanese blog with turn by turn directions with pictures. also the kuumba incense shop in yoyogi.

Well, the SF guide isn't a good tool for finding those stores, then.

I did find Mr. Hollywood. Granted, my friend was with me and knew how to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Little late but for future reference, the PBJ map has East as up on the picture, North on the right side, etc. I was confused as all hell until I finally realized that. Who the hell makes map with east as up? Once you figure that out its not as hard to find. Bape kids and Bape cuts (or is it cafe?) are on the same street, so if you run into them, your in the right direction. Just keep on walking down the road and you'll see the wooden sign with the leaf.

In terms of the SuFu maps, they were priceless for me. I'm great with maps and directions so all I did was look at the map, find what stores are close to me, then use the map to guide me to the next place. Without the the SuFu maps, my trip last March wouldn't have been 1/10 as amazing. That said, if you only want maps, then you can use the free ones. If you want commentary about select locations, buy the Superguide. I paid for the guide but I mostly used the maps. I don't mind supporting the forum.

Herp, If possible could you link me to the Mr. Hollywood blog that you mention here?

Thanks in advance!!!

N

Buy the guide..

it's easily worth the $20 just for the listing of shops to hit up catagorized by neighborhood.

$20 is nothing considering what you're going to end up spending IN those shops.

Well, the SF guide isn't a good tool for finding those stores, then.

I did find Mr. Hollywood. Granted, my friend was with me and knew how to get there.

tokyo is a nightmare to find anything, thats sort of just the way it is. i lived there for years and still got lost all the time. the tokyo superguide contains alot more than just maps though. we have people based there plotting stuff out monthly and who really know whats going on an a regular basis. i think its pretty reliable.

oh yeah and fyi...tokyo generally doesnt have street names. [only main drags] the system is based on ward and block numbers.

most Tokyo streets don't got names...

• 3 months later...

Truth:

• If you call yourself a fashionista and haven’t been to Tokyo then you don’t know jack about fashion.
  • women and men of tokyo dress better than you nomatter how fly you think you are or how different you think your style is. the’ve been there and done that and looked better doing it.
  • if you want to be inspired for retail store design come here
  • the bathing ape store really is that fresh

Truth:
  • If you call yourself a fashionista and haven’t been to Tokyo then you don’t know jack about fashion.
  • women and men of tokyo dress better than you nomatter how fly you think you are or how different you think your style is. the’ve been there and done that and looked better doing it.
  • if you want to be inspired for retail store design come here
  • the bathing ape store really is that fresh

i just quoted what the guy had on the site but

actually i disagree with the last bullet. the bape store ain't that fresh.

the way they display the tees are pretty innovative but there are a whole bunch of stores that look next-level.

Yeah BAPE isn't fresh anymore.

It was innovative for its time but now its kinda ho-hum.

I mean its smack right dab in Shibuya next to Uniqlo and Parco now.

I like the uniqlo UT concept. That was pretty fresh.

BWS isn't all that great compared to jawns like

lad daikanyama, tab device, hysteric aoyama, cdg, dior homo, FIL, mister hollywood and etc

I love corso como and UC but i don't think the interior is that great.

shibuya? since when? I'm not a fan of BAPE but the aoyama store (which I visited about half a year ago) was fun enough I thought.

loveless wins cause it has a bar. every store should.

opened in october, i think.

it sucks.