Full Count Denim Thread

chris_n

in case anyone was wondering what the "S" denim looks like faded, Bears is selling pre-distressed models:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/bears/fullcount-0105sd/

As someone who weight changes a lot so my jean rotation changes all the time, I'm starting to come around on pre-distressed jeans. Those look great. 

Edited by ColdsnapBryan

Late follow up but at least horse is [not] dead just yet. Here's Gordon's reply ... still, not a "yes", at least, in no shape or form a deadpan "no" ;)

Hi Carl,

Sorry for the late reply, I missed this email the first time and just found it searching my messages. Thank you for the insight on the talk about the FC jeans. I’ll be traveling to Japan this Summer and will try and see if there is any potential for a heavier “Wild†cotton denim and let you know what I can find out.

Regards,

Gordon Heffner

Blue In Green LLC

8 Greene Street

NY NY 10013

Hi to all.  I'm pretty new to the forum but have really enjoyed learning more from all of you.

I recently purchased sizes 35 and 36 in FC 1108XX from BiG (great service, by the way) and have included some fit pics below.  The waist is similar on both but you can see that the thigh/hip area is trimmer on the 35.  Which one do you think will work best after a hot soak, line dry, and additional cold washes?  I've also included some pre-soak Samurai S710XX (size 35) pics for comparison.  Your thoughts on shrinkage and fit are appreciated!

Thanks.

John

1108XX (35)

Fullcount1108XXsize352.jpg

1108XX (36)

Fullcount1108XXsize36.jpg

Samurai S710XX (35)

SamuraiS710XXsize35.jpg

they both look great John (the 710's too)

it really depends on the fit your after .you will get a nice slim fit with the 35's but they could be quite tight in the hip's for a bit, but the xx denim dose stretch quite easily so its up to you if you want to deal with them being tight after a wash

the 36 's look best in my opinion , after a soak they shouldnt look too far from the raw 35's , how do they fit in the back ? if there not too baggy now then id say there your best bet 

I'd vote for the 35's for you.  For reference, I'm wearing the 1109xx which is essentially the same as the 1108's above the knee.  Mine were a bit snugger pre-soak than those 35's look on you and they ended up fitting me perfectly  (you can find my pre/post soak images a few pages back).  

ColdsnapBryan,

Your honesty is brutal but appreciated -- today is my 59th birthday.  More sit-ups and Rogaine!

I'm leaning toward the 36's, but you've got me thinking the_spirit.

John

^Happy Birthday!

I've no experience with raw fullcount but I'd say in the spirit of the holiday, just hang on to both and see which one you end up favoring... you can always sell off the other once you realize its getting neglected.

Raw Samurai looks just about right from what I can see. Should be a pretty good fit once soaked.

Thanks aho -- I'm going to assume you're serious!  ;-)

By the way, I was looking over the 36's before giving them a hot soak and noticed a few irregularities in the stitching.  Is this all within a normal range or would you consider exchanging for another pair?  Note on the 36 that the left and right back seams don't meet/come together as they do on the 35, and also that the left belt loop is angled and partially covering up the rivet.  Maybe I'm being too particular.

36 back seam

e203f8d9-ca5c-424b-8e97-7f5272ed64d4.jpg

35 back seam

e0f7e0c7-bb62-44e8-a519-e115a065b0a1.jpg

36 belt loops

b7448cd2-e873-4d73-93eb-78193c1377d1.jpg

35 belt loops

fffc7f6d-06ff-408a-be6b-2dfdc48c809e.jpg

ColdsnapBryan,

Your honesty is brutal but appreciated -- today is my 59th birthday.  More sit-ups and Rogaine!

I'm leaning toward the 36's, but you've got me thinking the_spirit.

John

Happy Birthday! Didn't mean it as an insult :P I just meant leave the tighter pants for the rockers and the young kids. I think the samurais look the best out of the three, seems like a great cut. 

Here're my 1101s:

nfpRKNy.jpg

73RJSwv.jpg

They fit tight in the thigh, especially post soak so I'm glad I didn't soak too hot. I think cold washes only from now. 

@cmo – I'll get them tonight. These are size 31, which are clearly not TTS. 

@themaster – sorry, these are regular 1101, I meant "1101s" as in plural (it's a pair, right?) though not sure if this is 'good form'. 

I've looked at BiG's fit guide, but can someone tell me (from their experience) how the 1101 fits compared to the 1108XX?  Are they much the same except that the 1101 has more room in the upper leg / thigh?

I ask because the unwashed 1108XX in size 35 that I recently purchased is fine in the waist but a little tight through the upper leg and thigh.  Would the 1101 address this issue and be otherwise similar?  Also, how do you like the 13.75 oz. denim on the 1101?

Thanks.

John

hoggreaser,

Thanks for referring me to that thread.  Not sure I fully get it, given my limited knowledge of sewing and no pics, but it sounds like the staggered left and right back seam (as shown in my pictures above) may be intentional, rather than a mistake.  Do I have that right?  If so, that gives me a whole different perspective on these 1108XX's.  Learn something new every day -- at least I'm starting to ;-)  Maybe it's time to hot soak those 36's and appreciate the character of a hand sewn product, as aho and whackedout have said.

John

hoggreaser,

Really interesting stuff -- a great example of what I like about this forum and raw denim, in general.  This information provides a refreshingly different perspective on what constitutes quality and attention to detail in a hand-made pair of jeans.  I had always assumed that all seams should line up perfectly and if they don't then something must be 'wrong'.  Pre-conceived notions die hard!

The two pairs of jeans are soaking now (1108XX-36 and Samurai S710XX-35).  Will let you know how they turn out.

John