Full Count Denim Thread

chris_n

I don't think it's a circle-jerk comment, I think it's a legitimate complaint.

It's shitty when people go into a store, try something on and then order it directly from Japan because it's cheaper.

Brick and mortar stores aren't there to be your showroom for buying goods online.

Ooie, I understand having a budget, but by your own admission, BiG introduced you to the brand, and gave you the chance to know exactly what size you'd need to get by having raw and one wash versions on hand, along with free hemming. They made the sale, they just aren't getting the money for it. You can be as defensive as you want, but you opened yourself up to criticism by admitting you went into the store.

We get that in Manila all the time and they order from Okayama denim or some cheap free shipping online store. That is life and that's the right of the consumer . Rent in Manila Is expensive too for a turd world country. But again so that is life

We get that in Manila all the time and they order from Okayama denim or some cheap free shipping online store. That is life and that's the right of the consumer . Rent in Manila Is expensive too for a turd world country. But again so that is life

I'm not sure if "turd world country" was a typo or a joke but i found it absolutely hilarious 

This is surely a delicate topic and I understand all the opinions frowning upon such behavior. Looking in a brick&mortar shop and buy the stuff online is the reason why you see less and less independent and small shops and more of those big chain stores without “soulâ€. Or why inner-cities are dying out.

So what are your options?

1. Go ahead and buy from Japan using the information you got from BiG
  2. Keeping your budget in mind and maybe buy a cheaper alternative of raw denim
  3. Wait 1.2 or 3 months to save the money you need so your budget corresponds to the retail price of those FC

On happier news, I decided to get my FC 1101 hemmed by Vater&Sohn in Hamburg. BlueNemo can butcher them :D

Additional idea for b_f´s point 2, especially when you are based in NYC: wait for black friday and buy from your local brick & mortar store when everything is on sale. I remember my visit at Self Edge NYC in 2013 two days after black friday when nearly everything was sold out!  ;)

i've bought from both brick & mortar and online shops. just being in a shop terrifies me. a kind and knowledgeable shopkeeper can easily seem to me like the most condescending know-it-all nosiest person on earth. that's why i kinda prefer going to non-english speaking shops, or communicating with shop owners thru increasingly nervy, passive-aggressive emails. even using google translate (like with 2nd). no language, no cry. but then again sometimes i go to a shop, like take 5 shanghai, and the shopkeeper there instantly reached down to my dry bones (not making this up) just to feel the fabric and suddenly a rapport is struck. 30 minutes and dozens of try-on later i bought a pair of fc i knew somewhere in the back of my mind was around $50 dearer than if i bought them online. but it was as if all my currency conversions and reconversions calculations and recalculations went awol temporarily because i had a good time in a shop. i also love measuring and remeasuring my own clothes ad nauseam and then do endless comparos with shop measurements i deep down distrust. then go online to read the entire gazillion pages of sufu's evisu thread to work out sizing coz it would be too embarrassing and n00b-like to ask. out of all of those jeans sizing advice the best i got was surprise surprise from ed! a long time ago he said as long as the waist on his jeans measures between 84-90 cm, he'll be fine. that turns out to be a very astute observation and an excellent sizing principle that has resulted in no mis-sizing for me in 6 years of buying stuff online. just work out your own sizing range and stick to that. eg, my jeans waist range is 82-87, my shirt size range is chest 52-55, shoulder 44-46, etc. now to nail those shoe sizings!

To me there's really not a better feeling than being able to try stuff in a store and bond with the staff over a mutual love of something very specific and crazy.

Simon, you see our main man in Daikanyama during your trip?

Personally I would never go to a brick & mortar store and just try the size and then buy it online. The help I got from a nice guy at BIG made me buy the jeans from them. They hemmed them for me free and while I waited. Excellent service!

I'm currently dealing with a twist on the conundrum above. Except rather than the decision being between a B&M shop and a Japanese online shop, my issue is between two Japanese shops. I'm in the market for a pair of jeans sold both by Denimio and PSA. Denimio would come out to $40 USD less for the pair. So what's the issue? I like Naoki. I've bought from him before and he's been extremely helpful. A part of me wants to spend the extra $40 just because it's Naoki, the other part of me says that $40 is 1/4 the price of another pair of jeans. It should be an easy decision, but for some reason I'm finding it not to be.

Aftermath time. To those that either offered a personal take WITHOUT being a dick or admitted you'd do the same—thanks. There's a reason why I don't participate much on this forum and why I'm immediately going silent again after.

Some of you (maybe your tone is assumed harsh by me) love to act like the police for retail. That's fine. But like I said before, you most definitely don't know the whole story of how I purchase denim because I have in the past, as a single guy with money to spend, chewed on a premium because I liked the shop or the people. But I'm not at that capacity anymore so I can only support the premiums with lower-cost items, and I say this, what's the point of having a budget if you go over?

To add, there have been times when I had the money to spend on denim, did my research beforehand on what I wanted, checked and re-checked measurements, measured the jeans I have that fit the best, walked into SE, asked for the exact size and model of denim I wanted according to the site's measurements and the damn shit did not fit! I don't have scrawny girl legs so sometimes it's really tough to make certain jeans work depending on the fabric. Some will stretch back out, some won't be as forgiving. I went through 3 different kinds of jeans and none fit like I really wanted them to fit and I wanted to walk out with a new pair. What then? Did I waste everyone's time because of my genetics? Do I tell the shop they're doing a piss-poor job of measuring? Not to mention AJ Chen was sitting at the desk. I actually apologized to him and the rest of the crew when I was leaving for wasting their time. He basically told me, "don't be sorry, that's why we're here." He even asked for my input on the fits of the jeans I tried on. THAT'S what keeps my business loyal to certain shops. Not anyone that harps on me the one fucking time I go rogue cause I need to be responsible. In this present case, it's either buy at budget or don't buy. That's just my personal finances right now. So if you think responding like a fucking harpee is going to solve the retail crisis, fuck you. To those that get it's not black and white, again, thanks.

Later.

I've been to Rivet & Hide today, tried on a shirt and a jacket and bought them both. Now I really regret not having ordered online from them instead, because my wife bought a metric ton of stuff at Primark, luggage space will be at a premium for the flight back :D

Sorry to bring the topic back to Full Count (not living in NYC or London to be able to visit a B&M store we have these in Wales though! http://www.bmstores.co.uk

Which is the slimmer cut a 1109 or a 1101? I've got a pair of 1108 but they are too relaxed/wide for my liking in the hem width but thigh etc is a great fit.

Sorry to bring the topic back to Full Count (not living in NYC or London to be able to visit a B&M store we have these in Wales though! http://www.bmstores.co.uk

Which is the slimmer cut a 1109 or a 1101? I've got a pair of 1108 but they are too relaxed/wide for my liking in the hem width but thigh etc is a great fit.

1109 is slimmer. But they also do a 1110 cut which might be worth looking at? Slimmer in the ankle.

And I'm afraid I'm another Denimio convert. I actually do most of my clothes shopping online now that lazy Saturdays wandering around town are a thing of the past. But most of it comes down to price - I have a few go-to jeans that I just buy when the old ones are dead. I know how they'll fit. £250-£300 is too much to spend on a garment with as short a lifespan as a pair of jeans. I have shoes that price that I will own forever.

Support Naoki! Just because I do the same :D

I also bought from Denimio and only had good experience but when I can also get the same pair from Naoki, I take my money to him. The reward are little gifts and nicely hand-written letters :)

Two packs of sugarcane detergent?  ^_^

Support Naoki! Just because I do the same :D

I also bought from Denimio and only had good experience but when I can also get the same pair from Naoki, I take my money to him. The reward are little gifts and nicely hand-written letters :)

Thanks for bringing Naoki to my attention, only just found his shop!