WGSN - how much?

PAND

It's very overrated. As it takes most of its trends from the shows themselves its not too far ahead probably only a season. If you're after proper trends go to a forecasting company - the places that influence the fabric companies and dying houses and thus in turn dictate the trade shows that the buyers go to... The upshot being that none of us as on-trend as we would like to think we are. It's a preordained, self-fufilling process that has a huge influence over our lives yet the sad thing is the forecasting companies' panel meetings are formed of very old has-been designers and industry types. Like me hahaaha... So jaded...

I can confirm that the full version is indeed tens of thousands of dollars.

I have a student account which lets you veiw forcasting only one season in advance if (ie: if SPRING clothes are currently in stores you can few FALL forcasting i remember correctly, to tell you the truth I rarely used it and prefered the forcasting from International Textiles magazine.

WGSN is quite comprehensive though.

On a side note, its amazing how many companies must buy services like WGSN and promostyl, its really amazing how many companies follow their colour and style forcasting to a t.

Yeah it's about $10K a year for WGSN. At times you can find the info on it not as forward or not as ahead as you would want it. Right now they are forecasting for Fall 08. In terms of being comprehensive there is info on blocks, graphics, trends, think tank, color stories, mens, women's, kids, and action sports.

I believe that it's worth it to have WGSN. Going out to shop and the trend magazines are great. But WGSN does help you decide on themes for the season easier. They do have pages where it shows you links for different inspiration, so really you can take WGSN as a starting point for inspiration. In terms of color stories I found it really helpful to work off what they forcast just because they have so many different ones to choose from and again it's a good starting point.

If your company gross a couple million per season it's safe to say that $10K a year is not a bad investment.

If colour stories and predictions are your thing and you cannot stretch to the hundreds of notes for the decent colour forecasting books you can always get some really accurate ones from the big fabric exhibitions in the show catalogues. Seeing as the big international shows like PV are based around the forecasted trends it can be a big money saver. Just make your own press card and you're in for free.