Hocus Pocus

Cambodia and Vietnam

i'll be in SR/Angkor the 28th-31st. any updates on the place? I'm flying in with Air Asia through KL - mad cheap!

might do the 5 star hotel thing since I haven't had the chance to live it up in awhile. Anyone stayed at La Residence dAngkor or Hotel De La Paix? The latter is designed by the people that did Bed Supperclub in BKK.. looks pretty nice.

ended up staying at hotel de la paix - great hotel, great location, nice spa, good room service. i'd definitely recommend staying there if you are looking at high end hotels in the area. happy herbs pizza was a wash, but if you walk down the street there's a really good pizza place that will also sell to you(everyone is SUPER paranoid about selling these days). the shakes at ecstatic pizza also worked pretty well.

if you're relatively fit, i'd recommend renting mountain bikes and biking around the temples - i think hiring a driver or a tuk tuk would be pretty boring, albiet convenient. the no helmet thing is a bit disconcerting, but it's cambodia afterall. get some breakfast at the market where they sell all the meats/vegetables before heading out and you can get some decent fried noodles and sugar cane juice by the moat around angkor. the school kids come and eat at these places for lunch - stay away from the tourist restaurants.

poly did it the hostel way, hopefully he'll post his impressions.

What to do in Ho Chin Minh during August?

Bringing this thread to life. Am gonna visit Saigon in mid June, bought tixs nothing else. Haven't been to Hcmc before so no clue where to start. I have a friend whose gonna take me around. That's all I know...

Daylife: Sleepy, not much you can do beside sightseeing. Go visit Viet War era stuff, shoot an AK-47 at firing ranges, go on Pho hunts?

Nightlife: If you have a local friend, good. Clubs play R&B (like phuture) but prices are cheaper (like thai disco prices) and you can get tables /smoke inside. I went to this club with tons of hot girls (but forgot the place, was brought there by a local friend) and apparently most places have the option of ordering shisha for your table. Wierd huh.

Daylife: Sleepy, not much you can do beside sightseeing. Go visit Viet War era stuff, shoot an AK-47 at firing ranges, go on Pho hunts?

Nightlife: If you have a local friend, good. Clubs play R&B (like phuture) but prices are cheaper (like thai disco prices) and you can get tables /smoke inside. I went to this club with tons of hot girls (but forgot the place, was brought there by a local friend) and apparently most places have the option of ordering shisha for your table. Wierd huh.

Thanks b,

Which hotel did you stay? Probably check out the markets and find some vintage finds...

any more info to add to this? 

will be in Saigon mid July.. only recommendation I have so far is to go to Lush.

if you're relatively fit, i'd recommend renting mountain bikes and biking around the temples - i think hiring a driver or a tuk tuk would be pretty boring, albiet convenient.

Definitely recommended. I bicycled around Angkor Wat for 3 days and was glad I didn't get a tuk tuk or worse, a bus with ac. It was about 80 or so kilometers total which is not so tough, but at least you can stop whenever you want and fight the elements.

Day time in Saigon is reserved for leisure as it is generally horribly humid around July and August. Most people stay indoors and take naps, read books, swim etc. But if you really don't care about the humidity and the heat, you can explore shops, markets and tourist attractions. The usual tourist attractions are Nha Tho Duc Ba Saigon (French built cathedral), Saigon Opera House, City Hall, etc. But the last two are quite beautiful at night as well. Definitely try to go twice if you can! There's alsoGiac Lam Temple, War Museum, and the Reunification Palace. I personally would avoid amusement parks like Dam Sen and such because they're a bit depressing.

The city is much more alive at night though. It's a whole different experience. A lot more people are out and so many lights are on. Try going to the Financial Tower and see the whole city from above, or cross one of many bridges to see a nice skyline of the city. All the malls like Vincom Center, Diamond, etc are very clean, tourist friendly, but pretty standard and boring imo. Out of all the districts, District 1 is the most "Western"; it's usually where most tourists reside.

Cho Ben Thanh is usually a recommended tourist attraction but I would go here only to look. Most of the stuff is way overpriced. If you do decide to purchase anything, you can definitely haggle. In terms of food, there's lots of good food in the center of the market. Cho Vuong Chui on Nguyen Dinh Chieu is the market I typically go to when I'm visiting; it's definitely more locals around here and you won't see many tourists in this area. They have lots of fresh fruits such as jackfruit, rambutan, longan and lychee. There's also a great che place inside.

& please, for your own protection, always keep your phones in your pocket and your cameras properly secured when wandering the streets or the markets. There are plenty of brave pickpockets and thieves who will cut the straps off your camera and run off, or swipe your phones out of your hand. The police won't help you much as it is a very common occurrence in Saigon. Don't drink iced tea, water or ice either!!!

I could definitely recommend places to eat but they're usually outside of the tourist area and lots of dirt and grime haha. Plenty of food other than pho. Pho in Vietnam is actually different than what most people are used to; since they make their noodles fresh, it is a lot softer than the ones we typically eat in the US.

Please, for your own protection, always keep your phones in your pocket and your cameras properly secured when wandering the streets or the markets. There are plenty of brave pickpockets and thieves who will cut the straps off your camera and run off, or swipe your phones out of your hand. The police won't help you much as it is a very common occurrence in Saigon. Don't drink iced tea, water or ice either!!!

Stuff about keeping your valuables secure (and preferably hidden) is good advice for anywhere in South-East Asia to be honest, but why the warning about iced tea, water and ice?

Stuff about keeping your valuables secure (and preferably hidden) is good advice for anywhere in South-East Asia to be honest, but why the warning about iced tea, water and ice?

as far as i know, water quality isn't so great, so if you're an international from a 1st world country you may get a stomach bug. therefore opt for bottled water or bottled soft drinks etc

Going to be in Vietnam for 3 weeks next month.

Thinking of getting a suit made...any recommendations?

Dung tailor(221 Le Thanh Ton Street) is pretty good for suit and quite cheap for the quality - suit were between 150 to 250$(depending on the fabric, it can be expensive 500+ if you take the most expensive fabric), it's also pretty slow and it takes about 3 weeks(they can ship it to you if needed)

If you want to spend more money on suit, Massimo Ferrari Studio is apparently very good(I didnt tried it personally) but quite expensive, suit starts at about 750$ if I remember correctly.