zippers vs. buttons.

mizanation

i love button fly's, but there's something very cool about zipper fly's, especially if they use a vintage style heavy zipper.

with buttons, you get cool button fades, plus there's that whole low-tech aesthetic.

not to say that zippers are really high tech.

thoughts, rants, diatribes, meditations, confessions, whines, carps, grunts, and guffaws?

I went to buttons years ago, and I don't know how I ever lived without them. I remember my friend telling me about his dad complaing about how hard it was to unbutton them, but this is stupid, they open and close just as quick if not quicker for me. Also, I find that I sometimes forget to zip up, but I have never forgot to button up, though I do miss a button here and there sometimes.

Sometimes it's refreshing to slap on a pair of raws with a zipper on them (it's like all of a sudden I've been thrust into the 1950's and zipper technology, lol)

I think I prefer button flys though. Feel sturdier to me for some reason. Plus, if they're donut buttons you get that extra tactile sensation when you're suiting up.

sometimes, i forget when i wear zippered jeans and, by mistake, try to pull the metal teeth apart--thinking that they are indeed buttons.

The same shit happens to me. Ever since I started wearing button fly jeans everyday, my hands have gotten used to the movements of unbuttoning and butttoning. On the rare occasion that I wear zipperd pants, when I go take a slash, I find my hands grasping air in front of my zipper.

I think that a big plus for button flys, especially on jeans is that the button holes needs to be broken in before they can be easy to use. On that first soak, its so hard to undo them, but after a couple of times, they become accustomed to how hard you undo/do your buttons.

But zippers are really cool on outerwear, especially those vintage Talons.

Buttons are cool but zippers = less chance of pissing oneself when attempting a slash when drunk .

Scovill on LVC 505s and Universal zips on 101z just give them that extra authentic touch that just mikes them worth it for me !!!!

Agreed with everyone else. I find buttoning my jeans to be much easier/safer then a zipper. Not to say that I dislike them. I just prefer zippers to not be so close to my manhood. Would be a shame if something were to get stuck. Donut buttons ftw! Keep the zippers on other pieces of outerwear.

i think buttons are a very personal thing. like, no one really sees them from the outside (unless you get some good button fade). so, on the outside, you can't tell if there are buttons or a zipper. it's a private satisfaction of having something so basically classic. a truly selfish detail in jeans.

also, there is something satisfying about the tactile motions of fastening and unfastening. also, when a woman unbuttons your buttons, there is nothing sexier than the slow unbuttoning of a button fly.

nothing beats a talon or crown zip on outerwear, though. imagine a perfecto jacket with buttons? that's just not gangsta.

Miz, I agree, it is a very satisfying feeling to sit down and see that extra flap of denim poking out from underneath. I actually sat down with an old pair of 501s this last weekend and sewed up a button hole that was fraying, a little personalization, now you just cant get that with a zipper.

I also love the fact that the crotch bulge is virtually non-existent with buttons.

yeah like most people here, after spending most of the time in button fly jeans i would forget to zip up when i'm in shorts.

but i think buttons are cooler not only because of the fade on the jeans, it feels damn good to rip your jeans off.

in addition there are different kinds of buttons with engraving or embossing.

but zips are usually just YKK zips.. i mean on jeans.. right?

Also, I find that I sometimes forget to zip up, but I have never forgot to button up

I think the reason for this ( at least for me) is when using a button fly I always undo ALL the buttons, with a zipper I'd always keep the button at the top attached. So when you have that top one undone you can always feel the difference and you wouldn't forget the rest while doing the top.

This sounds stupid and totally obvious, but what the hell.

buttons all the way.

-if somebody undesirable is trying to get in your pants, they may become confused and/or foiled.

-never have to hear "X Y Z P D Q!" again

-zippers suck, i hate the sound... i hate the idea of the zipper somehow breaking...

-i can unbutton the fly on my APCs in under a second

Zippers break and they also tend to inch their way down throughout the day which is irritating. They also make it look like you have a boner when you sit down way more than buttons. Also after you finally wash the denim shrinks, but the zipper dosen't so it kind of scrunches weird. Oh yeah, buttons are less bothersome when going comadno as well!:P