Good sites for discovering new music

homi29

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best way to discover new music is to make a friend who devotes a huge portion of his (sometimes, but less frequently her) time to new music, and then getting them to make you mix CD's with liner notes. It's a lot of work but they'll do it anyway because it inflates their head a bit.

I just made a thread like this on another site and no one responded, im totally looking for new mucsic, and feel lost to do so, anyone with good ideas, share em up, i just want something new and good that makes you feel like your flying and getting a massage from ganesh (lots of hands must be killer!).

you know, something simple.

Pitchfork is a guilty pleasure. They review interesting things, but they are so fucking snobby, and some of the shit they write is just way out there. And it's hard to take their rating system seriously. I mean, 0-10 is already sort of pushing it when it comes to the degree specificity possible when deliniating how much you like an album compared to how much you like another album, but 0.0-10.0 is really ridiculous. It's like their next project may well be raking every album on earth 1-whatever.

I still read it quite a bit, though. Pitchfork appeals to the snob in anyone.

Pitchfork is a guilty pleasure. They review interesting things, but they are so fucking snobby, and some of the shit they write is just way out there. And it's hard to take their rating system seriously. I mean, 0-10 is already sort of pushing it when it comes to the degree specificity possible when deliniating how much you like an album compared to how much you like another album, but 0.0-10.0 is really ridiculous. It's like their next project may well be raking every album on earth 1-whatever.

I still read it quite a bit, though. Pitchfork appeals to the snob in anyone.

I would totally agree with this. Half the time, I go on there, don't read the reviews and just type in the band on Amazon or Itunes so I can have a listen myself.

The best way to discover new music is to make a friend who devotes a huge portion of his (sometimes, but less frequently her) time to new music, and then getting them to make you mix CD's with liner notes. It's a lot of work but they'll do it anyway because it inflates their head a bit.

I can vouch for this, I do seem to really enjoy making mix CDs, and liner notes even moreso.

pandora kicked the bucket dude, shut down :(

it might sound silly, but amazon.com is a great way, usually you can check out a band you like/have heard of and amazon will give you all sorts of related shit.

i also check out http://pandatoes.blogspot.com/ and http://www.rotate.com/, which has a list of "shit that sells crazy" on the front page.

i'm not sure about liner notes, but i'm totally the kind of loser who makes cd's for people

ps. son of a cunt, pandora doesn't work because i'm canadian apparently. bastards.

pitchfork is brutal.

youll end up listening to music thats more fun to talk about than to listen too. then youll get punched in the face for being an elitist hipster retard.

just find a good blog that streams singles and your gravy.

I just made a thread like this on another site and no one responded, im totally looking for new mucsic, and feel lost to do so, anyone with good ideas, share em up, i just want something new and good that makes you feel like your flying and getting a massage from ganesh (lots of hands must be killer!).

you know, something simple.

julian - if you like chilled out stuff like boards of canada you may want to try checking out dubstep if you haven't already. there are loads of links to d/l files in the grime/dubstep thread, may be worth checking it out.

in general, i would say ilm is more useful than pitchfork but i always find discussion lists/boards more interesting than something "editorial" (unless it's something like forced exposure - the last great zine, sigh). prolly cos most music writers/editors either don't have an interesting point of view or aren't allowed to express it.