usa :: portland :: general

cureOne

heading out the pdx for the first time this summer... a friend swears by the jupiter hotel for its location, other than its borderline unbearable tacky decor, is that the right area to shoot for in terms of stumbling around late?  obligatory shopping expedition to selfedge notwithstanding

Jupiter is cool but i wouldn't say its central.  I feel like visitors spend most of their time on the west side where as locals spend their time on the east side (where Jupiter is) but at the end of the day more places on your list of places to hit will probably be closer to the Ace.  Also, the Jupiter is essentially a motel that was converted to a hip party hotel, it can be quite loud even late into the night if there is a show at Doug Fir that same night. 

thanks all for your input.  my main focus is on being able to stumble out of the hotel to get awesome coffee and stumble home from bars i'd want to hang out in.  but yeah, quiet would be nice too.

daytime plans are up in the air, i'll hit a few shopping spots and catch up with people but may also leg it out of town for a day or two on a wine boondoggle...

clearly i have some research to do, will check in later

Go to wine country. Much good comes of it. I usually hit this taco truck for lunch to establish a base for pinot noir grapes to marinate within. 

Anyone have favorite vineyards? 

I like to stop in Chehelam and get started by asking them where to hit up that day. Usually involves some free tasting tickets. 

Colene clemens for the rose

Sokol Blosser has a interesting tasting room. 

Go to wine country. Much good comes of it. I usually hit this taco truck for lunch to establish a base for pinot noir grapes to marinate within. 

Anyone have favorite vineyards? 

I like to stop in Chehelam and get started by asking them where to hit up that day. Usually involves some free tasting tickets. 

Colene clemens for the rose

Sokol Blosser has a interesting tasting room. 

The new Sokol Blosser facility is amazing, esp. if you like architecture/design. And my friend is the winemaker at Colene Clemens so I'll second that recco for sure.  Any of the wineries in the Dundee hills are worth visiting: Cameron, Domaine Drouhin Oregon, Erath, Winderlea, Maresh, Lange, Bergstrom, etc. Check out Fire + Flood in Newberg, too. 

sorry, my use of english was pretty horrible there. 

somehow "this coming week" [in my mind] described April 21st - 30th... /fail

anything happening THAT week you know of? ;)

should i keep my eye on those venues in particular? or even better, might you have any promotion companies that typically handle this genre of EDM whose pages i can look up?

also, thanks!

Heres some info on this weekend. Ill be at shlomo and maybe recess gallery.

Venues to look for edm stuff would be blackbook, rose, whiskey lounge. Not really up on that side of things, but for some weirdo techno loft check out recess gallery. 

Natural magic is also playing moloko. disco/baleric/edits

Edited by EG562

Mirakutei is my goto ramen spot. Vouched for by my Japanese homegirl. Simple, no overkill salt or fatbombs, and pretty traditional. 

I work out in the beav and still havent found a good ramen out here. Ikenohana makes some good udons and sushi, I really like that spot. 

Went to biwa the other night for a burger, and had the worst fucking experience. 

Came out crusty, dry , and grey. I said it was a bit overcooked and some manager proceeded to try to burger whisper me into thinking it was ok, telling me i was infact mistaken. Caused a very awkward moment at the table, terrible customer service. Sent it back asking for the medium rare it as they recommended. Came back purple and cold.

Never again biwa. 

Looking forward to trying that tasting menu at the little back room at paa dee, the Oregonian review sounded pretty intriguing. 

Edited by EG562

Any of you guys had the chance to eat at Ned Ludd? So far the best place I've ate in Portland. Granted I've only visited twice for college admit day and whatnot. Looking forward to checking out more places, dining scene is quite a step up from Salt Lake haha. 

Mirakutei is my goto ramen spot. Vouched for by my Japanese homegirl. Simple, no overkill salt or fatbombs, and pretty traditional. 

oo yeah forgot mirakutei - haven't been since they remodeled (did they change up the menu too?)

re: restaurants - went to Ox a week ago and it was the bomb.  everything we ordered was great.

Any of you guys had the chance to eat at Ned Ludd? So far the best place I've ate in Portland. Granted I've only visited twice for college admit day and whatnot. Looking forward to checking out more places, dining scene is quite a step up from Salt Lake haha. 

Really enjoy this spot. Dudes dedication to his woodfire craft is admirable. 

I want to try the monday hiphop pizza jam that they put on. 

Where to take inlaw mom for lowkey brunch on sunday on eastside?

Edited by EG562

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those of you in Portland (Oregon) tonight, there is a Union Way block party with free beer and discounts at all the merchants.
At Self Edge we're offering 15% off everything from 4pm to 8pm tonight, in-store only.

Walk-A-Block-1.jpg

Walk-A-Block.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Moving out to Portland for college. Where's the best place for real sushi? Any places do good omakase? Also, pdx is a big oyster city right? Where's best deals on good oysters at? Happy to join pdx fam

Hi! I'm in portland for the week, I've checked out a bunch of places from this thread already!

Does anybody know where I could find some veilance, acr, or sisp in the area? I'll be in Washington some of the time so Seattle area isn't out if the question, but I've only seen the arcteryx store listed on their website. I'm looking for more boutique type stuff :)

Thanks for any help!

Dont think theres much of that in town. Snowpeak has cool gear, but thats about it.

Arcteryx store in seattle has you covered. 

Moving out to Portland for college. Where's the best place for real sushi? Any places do good omakase? Also, pdx is a big oyster city right? Where's best deals on good oysters at? Happy to join pdx fam

Oyster town no, but there are some spots. First fridays at gigantic brewing and last friday at upright brewing has a oyster pop up guy shuckin for 2$ a pop. Eat a oyster bar( prob has some deals), angel face, ox. (no deals)

Plus one to Oysters at Upright on last Friday. SO FUCKING FRESH. 

EG, come grab us at TG next time you roll through. We're usually here until about 5:30 or 6pm on Fridays. 

Dont think theres much of that in town. Snowpeak has cool gear, but thats about it.

Arcteryx store in seattle has you covered. 

Oyster town no, but there are some spots. First fridays at gigantic brewing and last friday at upright brewing has a oyster pop up guy shuckin for 2$ a pop. Eat a oyster bar( prob has some deals), angel face, ox. (no deals)

tanuki for omakase

also check ur pms

• 3 weeks later...

sepdxad_7272014.jpg

This Saturday we’re celebrating our first year at Self Edge Portland with beers, a sale, and a Good Art Trunk Show.   Come by and see our summer collections, enjoy a beer, and take a close look at Good Art’s jewelry and accessories!