usa :: portland :: general

cureOne

• 1 month later...

ate at le pigeon couple nights ago as well, very memorable meal. dessert was amazing. foie gras profiteroles? that cornbread with the maple ice cream and bacon chunks? my gawd, blew my mind, never had anything like it.

also loved the chicken/rice at Nong's Khao Man Gai food cart, and the fried chicken cutlet sandwich at the Shut Up and Eat cart. fuck that was good. Pok Pok was good too but not as good as some of the other things i ate

it was my first time visiting Portland and i really liked it, will definitely be back in the future. keep portland weird

• 2 months later...

i am thinking about moving to portland soon could anyone recommend somewhere cheap and cool for an 18 year old? if not cheap and cool just cheap and not shitty. also any recommendations on where to look for an apartment? i know nothing about the city just looking at craigslist stuff at the moment and i thinking i could afford some stuff for near 500 for myself

Definitely hit the food carts; they're not all spectacular, but it's very easy to change your mind if you see someone walk by with something you want. 9th and Alder (SW)

Depending on where your work is/where you spend your time, you need to choose between east side of the river, vs not. They have very different cultures; west side is trying kinda hard to be a city, while the east side is a lot more artsy and the Portland you probably hear about.

If you don't want to drive, look for a place in Northwest, near 23rd street.

If you do, looking deep in the east side, maybe around 82nd, is a good bet.

Be warned, the city is almost entirely white people. Black people were basically banned until 1927; there's some kind of tension there. Kids who live in the sticks can also hop downtown for a "night out," and act pretty differently than city people. (I grew up NYC; they're clearly the weird ones.)

• 4 weeks later...

Staying on the west side/downtown won't make it very hard to get over to the east. i assume youll have a car but if not the buses in portland are way too convenient.

there is a new set of men's and women's shops on sw 13th and burnside with good food nearby. that'd be a good start.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

gonna be moving to this fine city later this month for work, really excited because its one of the few cities i'd be down to live in. after a little bit of research, i've learned it has great food, great beer, great weed, bad weather.

any major changes in environment/lifestyle that i should be prepared for? this is my first time living outside of southern california.

any major changes in environment/lifestyle that i should be prepared for? this is my first time living outside of southern california.

Don't drive like a typical socal asshole

We are the most polite drivers on the planet. Plan to make a full stop at each stop sign, always give the pedestrian the right of way, and use your turn signal.

haha i'll try not to drive like a californian. it's funny you mention that because my roommate went there this weekend and also told me about how polite your drivers are. there's also a portlandia sketch about it (no you go)

I'm not sure what area it is that i'll be living in, the place is a few blocks from powell's books. either downtown or west end?

^ dead guy is actually one of my favorite beers, didn't know it was from portland.

but ya, i moved here a few days ago and i'm loving it. friendly people, great food, shitty weather though, like you said. i live less than a block away from blackbird and tanner, so i'll be doing a ton of shopping =}

• 1 month later...