New raw 501s fit tight - embarrassed to wear in public, but want to break in...hmm

.jacob

Moral of the story: Gave Levis to lil bro, bought Nudies, they fit great. Pix on a pg 2

Hello,

This is my first post here so hope I don't get torn apart too much.

I pruchased my first pair of raw denim about 6 months ago with some Levis 501s. I like them a lot but they fit pretty snug. All of the jeans I've owned prior have been looser relaxed fit. I like these jeans a lot and I know they will eventually stretch to fit me appropriately but I hate wearing them in public because they're so tight. Obviously as a result the jeans have hardly worn in or stretched at all. Aside from wearing them constantly is there anything I can do to help wear the jeans in?

Some people have said exercising or stretching while wearing the jeans is good for them. I've heard from others that it causes them to stretch weird.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Jacob

Here are pictures of the jeans:

What do you guys think? Are they too tight that I have no hope or are they OK or do you think I'm just weird?

jeans.jpg

jeans1.jpg

501's ARE regular fit, you just bought them sized down therefore they look too tight.

if anything, ralfs are going to be slimmer bc they are a lot straighter cut in the hip, lower rise and are slightly slimmer in the thigh.

buy your normal size in either and you should be fine . . .

the obvious sign that jeans are too tight is when they are pulled skin tight across your hamstrings (that goes for ladies too) but you look like you have a slight bit of give back there -- and actually i dont think they look that bad on you, push em down a little maybe though.

501's ARE regular fit, you just bought them sized down therefore they look too tight.

if anything, ralfs are going to be slimmer bc they are a lot straighter cut in the hip, lower rise and are slightly slimmer in the thigh.

buy your normal size in either and you should be fine . . .

the obvious sign that jeans are too tight is when they are pulled skin tight across your hamstrings (that goes for ladies too) but you look like you have a slight bit of give back there -- and actually i dont think they look that bad on you, push em down a little maybe though.

There's no way a Ralf is slimmer if he sizes them down normally. If you size down one (like you're supposed to) then it'll be a normal, straight fit. Not tight, not relaxed.

I didn't size them down. I have a 33/34 waist and 30 inseem. These pants are 33 waist and 34 length.

These are retro 501xx, not STFs.

My max bench was 285 about 6 months ago, not sure what it is now.

I do work out and squat frenquently so it's possible my quads are a little bigger than the average person. Maybe that's why the pants are tight as hell.

Sitting indian style is a good idea. I tried it earlier today but had to stop after 5 minutes because I was getting pain it my knees because it was cutting off the blood flow.

I know some people wear crazy tight jeans but that's not my stlye. I like relaxed fit. These things are soooo tight on my junk and thighs, I can't even use my front pockets...I hate it.

-------

If I wear these around my house and stretch in them is there any hope for them to stretch out to a normal relaxed fit or should I try to sell them?

If I sell them what do you think they'd go for?

Jake I'm built a lot like you.

I don't think the skin-tight look is good on guys like us with a lot of muscle .

(just throw on a western shirt, and you've got every gay urban cowboy in North America)

Plus those are raw, and will shrink to be totally unwearable. 31x32 or so (if you won't wear them out now, you REALLY won't wanna try it then)

Levi's raw jeans shrink DOWN from label size (as opposed to many Japanese labels that shrink TO label size).

Meaning if you are 33-34 you would normally get a 35-36.

I'm a 32, but size up to 33 in most jeans to get a fit that will fit my thighs (tough) and go over my ass (tougher).

SBBJM: they ARE effectively sized down... but since they are still raw, they should reflect the way his proper size would fit once shrunk (a 35x34) and I would say sizing up is mandatory to accomodate the legs/seat.

They are a 'regular' fit if you are of regular build... but if you are particularly muscular they will be too tight (I sized up one on S5000VX's, and they are absolutely the tightest I could wear... sized up Ralf's won't even go on)

SELL THEM, you will be happier in the long run. they are much tighter than you want and stretching is unlikely to give you the fit you want. next time, try them on in store first or order from somewhere like selfedge with a good return policy.

i have nudie svens that are pretty much like ralfs but slightly lower rised and straight.

they are def slimmer than any 501's i've ever tried on.

i bought my normal size in the svens, and they fit fine. if i feel like they are stretching out too much i throw them in the dryer for ten minutes -- sounds like sacrilege but it works and i dont have to deal with things shrinking up and going through an unbearable period.

i never understood that, i'm also def in the minority on this board with how pants should fit though.

waist will just stretch back out, don't worry about the shrinkage. my size 32 waist LVC 501 have been hot washed and machine dried over 3 times and the waist still measure about 34 inches. and mine don't fit as snug as yours. you will be fine, i wished i sized down and went with a longer inseam. seams like you have already done that.

I think they look ok. Little snug in the back, but wear them and be more active in them and they should stretch a bit more.

Although, I guess they would be a little tight after you wash them though, since they're raw...though you could always wear them wet during the first wash to try to minimalize, but still something to consider in the long run when deciding to keep/sell.

I tried wearing them lower as some suggested and the things bit inot my hips. When I took them off after 5 or so minutes I had pressure marks on my hips...f that. I'm going to sell these.

What's a loser fitting raw denim jean I should try next? I live in the DC area so if someone could suggest a store too that'd be great.

Thank you.

I tried wearing them lower as some suggested and the things bit inot my hips. When I took them off after 5 or so minutes I had pressure marks on my hips...f that. I'm going to sell these.

What's a loser fitting raw denim jean I should try next? I live in the DC area so if someone could suggest a store too that'd be great.

Thank you.

Check out the APC rescues, theyre cut pretty generously in the thigh.

And the denim bar is in your area- http://www.denimbaronline.com/locations/

I was just going to say Denim Bar as well... The location in Arlington is good, and has a fair number of options, but they have far more at the Bethesda location. If you can get up there, go for it. PRPS has a looser cut in the theigh, and I understand that Rag & Bone should also be good (though I haven't gotten up to the Bethesda location to try any on). Also, if you want a much fuller cut, you can check out some ALDs, which, unfortunately, aren't carried anywhere on the east coast. They're probably the fullest cut pants out there in the raw denim.

Personally, I think they look terrible on you. Nice jeans but they don't fit your build. You've got a good build and legs proportional to your upper body. But these jeans are not doing any justice to your physique.

For my part, I have maybe 29 inch thighs and just ordered a pair of 36 APC Rescues. I'm beginning to realize that I may have made a huge mistake. I don't think they will fit me in the thighs.

p.s. Those jeans will never stretch and doing squats in them is going to burst the seam running between the crotch and ass before they give even a cm in the thighs.