Engagement Rings:

emaze

I personally would never buy a diamond engagement ring. Not necessarily for political social reasons but more for the fact that they are worthless jewels. They're not rare at all and they're a horrible investment. Diamond rings depreciate the minute you take em out of the store. I plan on finding a precious stone that is actually precious and using that for an engagement ring.

well, after going through the process I was told that you are supposed to have your ring/jewelry re-appraised every 5 or so years, and I believe that the amount it is appraised for should go up even just a little to keep up with inflation. So no you won't make any money investing in diamonds or rings, but they are certainly not worthless once you walk out the store (I believe they hold their value quite well, even if it may be due to the shady things the diamond industry does to claim their rarity). Therefore IMO rings are unlike say... sports cars that depreciate several thousands once you drive it off the lot.

anyways there's a lot more a ring should symbolize than just it physical worth, getting the right one (tattoo or real, diamonds or not) is probably one of the best investments you can make

i'd either get a ruby or emerald. I'm the type of guy who does not care what the girl wants.

for an engagement ring, i think you should revaluate that thought.

for an engagement ring, i think you should revaluate that thought.

For some reason though diamonds in engagement rings are (for the most part) a big deal only in English-speaking countries... and, imo, this whole trend is just stupid. Not that I'm in any position to judge or comment on this.

go to blue nile, my friend's mom just upgraded with a 60k BEAUTIFUL ring, i forgot how many carats, but it's all platinum and it stands up about a half inch or so, it's REALLLLY nice, but yeah check out blue nile!

For some reason though diamonds in engagement rings are (for the most part) a big deal only in English-speaking countries... and, imo, this whole trend is just stupid. Not that I'm in any position to judge or comment on this.

If you are not in any position to judge or comment on this, why post?

You must be stupid, you mental defect.

No one is interested in your half baked theories. Do you have a perpetual fever?

I am not surprised with such crap coming from an inbred pompous moron like you.

Woah Beast... chill out mate!

Anyway why the fuck would you care if the ring goes up or down in value? If you want to invest in something dont buy an item that gets strapped to your wifes hand - try shares. I know my partner and I when looking for rings we want something that looks nice, is timeless but still unique and has excellent quality and craftsmanship. Not something we can make a profit on. I beleive a wedding/engagement ring can be made out of anything - platinum and diamonds or gold and rubies, who cares. Its what it signifies between two married people is all that matters and it should please them and them only.

I can't believe anyone would take re-sale value into account when purchasing something as meaningful as a engagement ring.

Everyone in a thread like this should post their age, because with all the kids running around these forums thinking they know a thing or two about a thing or two and don't are just wasting e-space.

'yo fuck what the girl likes, i'm gonna get her an emerald because they're gonna go up in value like tiffany dunks' lol...kids

If you're going to buy a new ring, go check out local stores for types you think she might like from your knowledge of your lady's tastes, maybe ask a friend or two, or ask her directly if you don't care about suprising her. Bluenile has great service and good prices compared to local jewelers, there are other reputable online places that let you pick rock qualities you want and pair it with settings to make a ring like something you found locally. These places allow you a return period where you can get the ring inspect it have it appriased and return it if you feel it is unfit. These places won't have these crazy artsy fartsy rings, but if you think your lady will like it to be 'classic' they -almost- can't be beat.

i mean when it comes down to it you want something she will love and its got to be special. hopefully she'll never care what the value is at any given time because it'll be priceless.

Ali-G-Respect.gif

kind of like when she divorces you and takes half of everything you've worked for + the house!

hahahahaha...pre-nup...

Don't end up like Paul Macartney and Heather Mills...or Eddie Murphy and Umfoo-foo

I have assured my boy that if we get married after we finish uni, I will be happy with an average-sized diamond ring, as we would be young and carefree lovers and therefore, poverty stricken ...that is, until the law degree starts bringing in the $$ , when I will demand the ring upgraded to a 2.5 carat. Alternatively, I will just do it myself.

And whoever made the emerald comment - that won't work with any woman walking this planet.

I wouldn't marry a girl who wanted a real mined diamond or nothing, they're worthless, and the practises of diamond companies are both inhumane and extremely shady.

If she'd go with synthetic (They actually carry far less flaws than real diamonds, the only reason they have less value is because of years of ad campaigns by DeBeers and other diamond companies) I wouldn't mind.

I wouldn't marry a girl who wanted a real mined diamond or nothing, they're worthless, and the practises of diamond companies are both inhumane and extremely shady.

If she'd go with synthetic (They actually carry far less flaws than real diamonds, the only reason they have less value is because of years of ad campaigns by DeBeers and other diamond companies) I wouldn't mind.

Did you just see Blood Diamond?

And whoever made the emerald comment - that won't work with any woman walking this planet.

it would work with me.... I actually dont want a diamond, I'm not a big fan of them, there are many more beautiful and rare gemstones out there that I would much rather put on my finger.

Did you just see Blood Diamond?

ATLANTA (UPI) — U.S. hip-hop singer Akon defended his decision to buy a South African diamond mine, saying the blood diamonds issue is the result of media exaggeration.Akon, rapper and founder Atlanta-based Konvict Muzik, said he thinks celebrity critics of the diamond industry need to do more research, Netmusiccountdown.com said.

They are talking about it and haven't even been there. The are talking about what they heard in the press and on TV, what they are seeing in the movie, Akon said, referring to the Oscar-nominated film Blood Diamond.

Amnesty International claims 4 million people have died in wars that erupted because of illegal diamond trade.

Akon said the trade is more stable now, adding that in certain areas there's probably some illegal activity going on.

Critics should turn their attention to oil, he said.

I would call that 'blood oil', Akon said. The oil is killing more people.

I have assured my boy that if we get married after we finish uni, I will be happy with an average-sized diamond ring, as we would be young and carefree lovers and therefore, poverty stricken ...that is, until the law degree starts bringing in the $$ , when I will demand the ring upgraded to a 2.5 carat. Alternatively, I will just do it myself.

god i wish my gf was more like you... she has this ridiculous premonition that i'll be able to afford her a 2-3 carat ring despite the fact that i make much less than 6 figures...

the emerald would work with some one willing to look at things logically and intelligently......as any logical and intelligent individual would obviously choose an object with a real value over one with out....so...by your logic all woman are illogical idiots who neeeeed some stupid shiny commonplace stone. I have higher aspirations for the woman I'll marry.