IDM Changed Kiya's Life

^i like what destructodisk has to say about taking art for what it is and the experience it forms within oneself.

on the note of telefon tel-aviv, i thought "immolate yourself" was a great album, specifically "the birds". i dont think their sound is over produced. i believe there is articulation and weight to their method.

i've had gridlock in very heavy rotation for the first time in a few years again since they split up into dryft and bitcrush. in fact i'm listening to their later few albums as i type this.

liar's rosebush/scrap.edx EP "collect:erase" has been fantastic.

ginormous album "at night under artificial light" is good as well. definitely rides the line between atmospheric and ambient.

Oh shit yeah, that's great. I think this may their first new material since the 45 comp.

By the way, for anybody that doesn't own the 45 compilation, it's $5 for over 30 tracks, quality level is very high and it's got original material from Autechre, Venetian Snares vs. Autechre, dDamage, Richard Devine, and more.

http://www.45tribute.com/

Oh shit yeah, that's great. I think this may their first new material since the 45 comp.

By the way, for anybody that doesn't own the 45 compilation, it's $5 for over 30 tracks, quality level is very high and it's got original material from Autechre, Venetian Snares vs. Autechre, dDamage, Richard Devine, and more.

http://www.45tribute.com/

Holy fuck i think i just wet myself.

You see this on the Ae site?

"Made in The Designers Republic™"

What the fuck? DR was liquidated and shut down, if this is NEW work it means it's the first new work from Ian Anderson since the closure.

Holy fuck i think i just wet myself.

You see this on the Ae site?

"Made in The Designers Republic™"

What the fuck? DR was liquidated and shut down, if this is NEW work it means it's the first new work from Ian Anderson since the closure.

confirmed - peep the "+Designed by The Designers Republic" here:

http://warp.net/records/releases/autechre/oversteps

btw it was never meant to be a permanent cessation, when it shut down anderson said "DR will go forward after this with me [under the same name] - whether it will be with a new team and a new office I don't know."

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2009/january/the-designers-republic-is-dead-long-live-the-designers-republic

it was always inevitable they'd return with warp/ae eh?

confirmed - peep the "+Designed by The Designers Republic" here:

http://warp.net/records/releases/autechre/oversteps

btw it was never meant to be a permanent cessation, when it shut down anderson said "DR will go forward after this with me [under the same name] - whether it will be with a new team and a new office I don't know."

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2009/january/the-designers-republic-is-dead-long-live-the-designers-republic

I'm not sure about that. Warp stopped using DR because of cost related issues. DR's profile went through the roof as Warp's income with through the ground (as did all labels).

Warp did their best to maintain the DR image but it was near impossible considering every release looked different as they left the artwork design up to the artists because they signed so many non-idm acts, and non-idm acts = rock stars = we love our image and want to do it our way.

This all comes from a very short conversation i had with Warp's founder, Steven Beckett, while in Tokyo for Warp20.

I think they're taking all that money they made from the Warp20 parties/releases and putting towards some big names this year like Autechre and Aphex Twin.

Not really IDM, but kinda IDM considering what IDM actually stands for.

Dannie Flesher just died. Wax Trax was legendary and a huge influence on me at a very young age, but it was time for it to go when it did in the mid-nineties.

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/turn_it_up/2010/01/wax-trax-cofounder-dannie-flesher-dies-at-57.html

As a bonus, the douche-bag of a man that is known as Jim Nash's brother got on the site and started to badmouth Dannie IN THE FUCKING COMMENTS. Dude, it's the guy's obituary you're commenting in!

So your brother died of AIDS fifteen years ago, he was Dannie's lover and record label partner, they're both dead now, give it up.

Not really IDM, but kinda IDM considering what IDM actually stands for.

Dannie Flesher just died. Wax Trax was legendary and a huge influence on me at a very young age, but it was time for it to go when it did in the mid-nineties.

i am now picturing a young kiya rockin the kmfdm t-shirt and jamming to the skatenigs, ha

anyway it's pretty idm for americans, i'm sure more than a few were exposed to the genre when wax trax were cherry picking early warp full lengths + the klf (chill out - so good). they're also partly to blame for people still thinking that psychic tv are any good here.

their record store was pretty forgettable though. in that stretch of two blocks there were three record stores, one of the best live venues in chicago + the best sf-style burrito east of the rockies and they all ended up getting replaced by the likes of boutiques selling margiela.

re: TDR i assume the economics are much different in the current stage as compared to before, it reminds me of creation records - they got too big and the cash flow demands ended up killing them... now they can go back to the two dudes in a loft thing

btw let's not get into the semiotics of what idm stands for, it always seems to upset everyone

• 1 month later...

Holy mother of god.

Has anybody heard the new Autechre album called Oversteps?

This is what IDM sounds like and is probably the best full album to be released by any IDM artist in years, probably since Tri Repetae.

It's like they took all their past work including the Gescom stuff and rolled it all into one full length album.

No idea, i pre-ordered this two months ago.

Getting the CD and Vinyl editions, cannot wait.

tDR lives on.

Holy mother of god.

Has anybody heard the new Autechre album called Oversteps?

This is what IDM sounds like and is probably the best full album to be released by any IDM artist in years, probably since Tri Repetae.

It's like they took all their past work including the Gescom stuff and rolled it all into one full length album.

Really need to get hold of this, less than three weeks until the show!