IDM Changed Kiya's Life

• 3 months later...

Who's going to see Ae live on this tour?

I'll be at the SF show.. I'm excited to also see Graham Massey live, the old 808State records were quite good for the time..

Who's going to see Ae live on this tour?

I'll be at the SF show.. I'm excited to also see Graham Massey live, the old 808State records were quite good for the time..

for the time? newbuild is a stone cold classic and they did some great mixes around that time that still stand up nicely (new order, etc)

were you still on idm when autechre delurked by telling all their fans that the list was freaking them out and they were unsubscribing?

saw them once confield era and it was eh (though honestly i didn't care much for the album either). tho idm live shows are down there with hip hop live shows for me. at least there are chicks at hip hop shows!

for the time? newbuild is a stone cold classic and they did some great mixes around that time that still stand up nicely (new order, etc)

were you still on idm when autechre delurked by telling all their fans that the list was freaking them out and they were unsubscribing?

saw them once confield era and it was eh (though honestly i didn't care much for the album either). tho idm live shows are down there with hip hop live shows for me. at least there are chicks at hip hop shows!

Yeah, i remember that. It was interesting have them on the list for a while though.

I too think IDM is like Hip Hop in that it's a flawed genre for live performances. But so much of it has to do with how much you actually connect with the music in the recorded format. I've seen Ae live about four or five times and have loved it every time, but then again i'm fanatical about their work..

• 1 year later...

Bumping this for a great quote from a recent German interview with Autechre:

De:Bug: Gibt es ein familiäres Gefühl auf Warp? Kennst du die anderen Acts?

Sean Booth: Also heute habe ich fast keine Ahnung. Chris Clark kenne ich vom Namen her. Kenne auch seine Musik, finde sie aber nicht immer gut. Maximo Park habe ich im Fernsehen gesehen. Leute haben mir ständig gesagt, wie schlecht sie sind. Aber ich fand sie in Ordnung. Nichts, was ich als Label releasen würde, aber darum geht es ja nicht. Früher war es aber auch nicht so, dass wir die meisten Acts kannten. Ich tendiere dazu, eher mit meinen Freunden Zeit zu verbringen als mit Bekannten oder Kollegen. Aphex und Squarepusher sind keine Freunde, ich kenne sie zwar ein bisschen. Rob und Tom teilten früher eine Wohnung, dann habe ich ihn natürlich getroffen. Er hat uns komische Miles-Davis-Platten vorgespielt. Er ist ein weird jazz guy. Aber Jazz ist weird, nicht wahr? Aphex ist ein ziemlich netter Kerl, aber auch ein Bully. Er jagt vielen Angst ein, was ich gut verstehen kann. Einmal hat er bei mir übernachtet. Ich war nicht da. Als ich zurückkam, waren alle meine CD’s falsch einsortiert. Na so was.

babelfish translation:

De: Bug: Is there a family feeling on Warp? Do you know the other Acts?

Sean Booth: Today I have no idea . I know Chris Clark from the name. Know his music, find it however not always good. I saw Maximo park on the television. People constantly said to me, how bad they are. But I found it alright. Nothing that I would releasen as label, but thats not what I'm talking about. In former times we didnt know most Acts. I tend rather with my friends to spend time as with acquaintance or colleagues. Aphex and Squarepusher are not friends, I know them a little. Rob and Tom shared in former times a dwelling, then I had met him naturally. He played us weird Miles Davis plates. He is weird a jazz guy. But jazz is weird, isnt it? Aphex is a rather nice chap, in addition, a Bully too. Many people are scared of him, which I can understand very well. Once he stayed overnight at my house. I wasnt there. When I returned, my Cds werent in the right order. Funny, isnt it?

• 3 weeks later...

Quite possibly the best IDM video ever for Ceephax's upcoming album on Planet-Mu.

Best watched full screen.

• 3 weeks later...

It's just you and i in here.

Somebody needs to change the thread title to "IDM Changed my life.."

Hmm feels like we covered IDM already. Plus half of this board is way too young to even know what we're talking about.

I never cared about the term itself. I was on the list but mostly to read about new releases. It started from 'Artificial Intelligence' comp, then it was Aphex, Autechre, LFO, Black Dog, Mouse on Mars. I think I only listen to Autechre and Mouse on Mars from those years. The best thing that happened out of IDM is Planet mu records. For me the best functioning label right now.

Oh and I can't stand Telefone Tel Aviv, Dntel or any new american IDM. Shit is such garbage compared to older stuff.

I was really into the warp/rephlex label. I liked the mellow melodic side of IDM, stuffs like u-ziq, plaid, bochum welt, aphex, early autechre....

weird that you didn't mention global communication fam, the mellowest of them all. auto reload v 2 so so good

Hmm feels like we covered IDM already. Plus half of this board is way too young to even know what we're talking about.

i'm not sure about that, there's a lot of good but super marginal stuff from back then that people may not know/care about. i'm in the processing of weeding my record collection and just about to dive (finally) into the dance 12"es, should be interesting. i already did the 7"es and ran across a lot of those crazy diskono and v/vm singles, stuff like whine and missingtoe, the goodiepal/mainpal picture discs, lucky kitchen before they took themselves too seriously etc... some really great stuff buried in there.

my dance records are all alpha according to label so i think 21/22 corp is up first haha

btw planet mu was never really my tea - loved the hrvatski album and the shitmix2000 12" but otherwise eh. then again, in pine effect was the last mu-ziq i really liked so what do i know?

edit - whoa, kiya has super powers to request thread name changes

after IDM, the closest thing to electronic music is "home listening/modern classical/ambient". Type label is one of them or whatever boomkat recommends.

I am behind with new electronic music in general like dub. I did like hyperdub compilations. I thought king midas sound was good, it reminded me of tricky's maxinquaye. I guess I don't have the patience to look for new music on my own. I also like music that is pleasant and easy on the ears. So yeah, more pop for me.

so what electronic music do you all listen to after idm? i know you're into some newer stuff. the only thing close to dance music i listen to are electronic explorations podcasts. i'm pretty much lost in newer dance music (except kompakt and planet mu)

after idm i got pretty heavily into pre-jungle breakbeat ('91-'93 sub base / moving shadow etc) then in 03 into grime (through 07 or so).

it's weird how grime never made it in the US, the tracks are really sick - i think it's mainly because speed garage / 2-step was such a huge flop the records here didn't follow the trend underground.

i'm not really into dubstep which i guess appeals to the idm crowd a bit more, it's just too po-faced for me. i'm kind of waiting for it to die and something interesting to take it's place - in the meantime listening to lots of stuff with guitars!

i wouldn't say i'm waiting for dubstep to die but i think i feel similar. it's fine, but i would like to hear something more interesting. still no guitars for me.

Unsound festival will have a ny edition this year. Vladislav Delay, Carl Craig, Jacek Sienkiewicz, Czubala, Jan Jelinek, Moritz von Oswald Trio, Tim Hecker, Tape, Mountains, Jacaszek, Petre Inspirescu, 2562, Pole. Should be very exciting.

I never cared about the term itself. I was on the list but mostly to read about new releases. It started from 'Artificial Intelligence' comp, then it was Aphex, Autechre, LFO, Black Dog, Mouse on Mars. I think I only listen to Autechre and Mouse on Mars from those years. The best thing that happened out of IDM is Planet mu records. For me the best functioning label right now.

Oh and I can't stand Telefone Tel Aviv, Dntel or any new american IDM. Shit is such garbage compared to older stuff.

yo i'm sure you "know your shit" or whatever

but you simply cannot call telefon tel aviv garbage

c'mon son

yo i'm sure you "know your shit" or whatever

but you simply cannot call telefon tel aviv garbage

c'mon son

I have to step in here, Tel is garbage.

Totally uninspired overproduced electronic music.

their music is just dull and unimaginative. they didn't do anything new. so many of their tracks have oval, autechre, kraftwerk influences but fall very short from inspiring electronic music. none of their albums were really innovative or created some kind of new sound. it's all been done before by either much better bands or similar mediocre ones.

i saw them live (twice) because they opened for other acts and they never moved me. in this type of music there has to be a connection for me and they never created any. it's like a background music at starbucks. i might stop for a second and give it a listen, but i'll never buy the album cause it's just rubbish.

i dunno man, comparing artists to other artists and trying to decide who did what first and when is completely pointless in my mind. gotta take the art for the experience it alone causes you to have, not try to analyze its origins or perceived impact.

if you've seen them live before, i'm quite jealous, but since you didn't seem to have any emotional response to the music i can't blame you for not being a fan. however, just because you didn't have a connection doesn't mean there's nothing to the music. on the contrary i'd say you are absolutely missing out.

p.s. could you link me to these albums that supposedly do everything telefon tel aviv does, but better? i would be genuinely happy to hear something better, always am, but I won't hold my breath.