Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

• 2 weeks later...

for anyone with patternmaking knowledge..

Tapered_sweater_pattern_w_setin_sle.png

i dont understand the shoulder/arm hole part.

having difficulty making this part. if anyone has a tutorial on making a pattern for shoulder/armhole/sleeve?

how does the top of the sleeves/shoulder get joined on to the body?

thanks in advance

i dont understand the shoulder/arm hole part.

having difficulty making this part. if anyone has a tutorial on making a pattern for shoulder/armhole/sleeve?

how does the top of the sleeves/shoulder get joined on to the body?

thanks in advance

I think the pattern is not really good, if you use that as a pattern. The sleeve is supposed to be having a smaller round at the frontside of the upper part. The armopenings must be a lot rounder as well.

You can join the sleeve in a couple of ways. The easiest, I think, is to stitch the arm opening and the sleeve together (with the seam on the inside. lock it together after that). Then close the sleeve and the sides in one.

I hope this helps (if you understand it in really bad english).

• 2 weeks later...

Been so busy and stressed latley with getting my final project exhibition together, hence not much action but its finally done and i can relax now.

Basically this was my brief ( pasted from the form that i had to send off to the exam board )

-Looking at the thinking behind modern day life as we know it and the way that it is heading for ultimate meltdown and relative collapse, both environmentally and humanitarianly. I intend to produce a cohesive and relevant garment, that’s directly influenced by the modern world and how it may evolve and change in the near future. Initially I am thinking that I will reference the rebellion that recently happened regarding the riots against the G20 summit, and all recent and modern day riots against governmental decisions. Using such influences and re-creating them in a contemporary, conceptual and coherent context, with the idea of protecting rioters and aiding them whilst causing destruction.

-I intend to take inspiration from a wide variety of sources and modern day youth rebellion and the imminent decay of the western world. An almost apocalyptic, un-regulated creed ridden society. Thinking about the evolution of humanity and the fact that it’s verging on the edge of collapse and taking inspiration from the writings of Charles Galton Darwin’s ‘The next million years.’ Which simply put, states that the world is at the best it is ever going to get right now, riding on a very rapid downward spiral to the imminent chaos caused by no one else other than ourselves and the government. Over-population, over-crowding and over-development all having profound negative effects. Researching from youth cultures around local cities and then on a broader range looking at the still very anarchic Greek youth, and the frequent French riots that are happening. All of which are almost a new breed of rebels that have had enough of the rules and regulations that are tightening the grasp that the government is imposing on them.

-I wish to explore new and old techniques of making including, distressing and de-construction whilst maintaining a fabrics natural given properties. Greatly influenced by eastern elements of hidden identity and anonymity where mass fabric manipulation is present and gives an almost private demeanour. Paralleled to the riotous elements of the modern youth rebellion, where an anonymous present is required whilst rioting. Coatings that create decay or a surface texture that is visually interesting could feature along with aspects of how worn fabrics react to certain situations and detachable or changing garments for aid whilst causing destruction/chaos.

And just thought id add that we had to be directly influencd by two or more artists/designersthat was the only guideline.(probably not hard to guess who.)

exhibition space.

P1030233.jpg

Untitled-14.jpg

Untitled-16.jpg

Untitled-23.jpg

Untitled-25.jpg

Untitled-17.jpg

Untitled-27.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

some shirts i did for this minor fashion show on campus. I be in the plain white T. Just tie-dyes and pocket T's, wasnt planning on putting forth too much effort (hence the lack of cut & sew pieces) also modified some sweatpants into a low-crotch capri-type pant

4400_104733818828_507113828_2717351_1337734_n.jpg

4400_104551643828_507113828_2713934_2222235_n.jpg

4400_103534523828_507113828_2695169_3909011_n.jpg

4400_103534518828_507113828_2695168_5623480_n.jpg

4400_103534513828_507113828_2695167_1797082_n.jpg

Before you all started making making clothes, had you spent anytime taking apart, and tailoring clothes you already had? Maybe tailoring/taper a pair of trousers that were too big?

To make a long story short, for my summer job I have to wear wear the same very unflattering pants 5 days a week. I have four pair, so messing one up wouldn't matter. Being 6'2" 175 lbs, broad shouldered and slim, I always run into this problem, but figured this would be a good opportunity to fix the likely life long annoyance for good. I figure I could apply it too all pants once successful.

If anyone has tried this, could they please point me in the right direction, for directions on doing this properly? I have found one source online that a few websites referred to when googled, but it seems quite complicated. Sadly the pants are merely Dickies, and I do not have a choice in the matter.

It is bad enough working with ladies all around , but it is even worse while wearing unflattering pants that certainly do nothing for confidence.

That wasn't really short, but I think that I got it all out.

Before you all started making making clothes, had you spent anytime taking apart, and tailoring clothes you already had? Maybe tailoring/taper a pair of trousers that were too big?

To make a long story short, for my summer job I have to wear wear the same very unflattering pants 5 days a week. I have four pair, so messing one up wouldn't matter. Being 6'2" 175 lbs, broad shouldered and slim, I always run into this problem, but figured this would be a good opportunity to fix the likely life long annoyance for good. I figure I could apply it too all pants once successful.

If anyone has tried this, could they please point me in the right direction, for directions on doing this properly? I have found one source online that a few websites referred to when googled, but it seems quite complicated. Sadly the pants are merely Dickies, and I do not have a choice in the matter.

It is bad enough working with ladies all around , but it is even worse while wearing unflattering pants that certainly do nothing for confidence.

That wasn't really short, but I think that I got it all out.

tailor.th.pngtailoru.th.pngtailorn.th.png

the first one will slim your pants through the entire leg and shorten the rise, the second will slim your pants through the leg but leave the rise and the third will just taper from the knee down

to tailor your pants

1. look at one of those pictures.

2. turn your pants inside out

3. sew along the dotted line

now turn your pants right way out and try them on. there'll be a bunch of extra fabric along the inside of the leg but ignore that and decide if they fit the way you want them to. if not, take them off, rip out your stitches with a seam ripper and adjust the dotted line accordingly.

you can also try pinning them and trying them on instead of sewing if you don't want to deal with the whole stitching and ripping and restitching thing... and if you don't mind trying your pants on very carefully because they're full of pins.

edit: you'll probably want to open the hem at the beginning and resew them at the end so that the bottom of your pants isn't wonky

edit2: when you're happy with the fit you'll want to cut most of the extra fabric away. there are a couple ways you can deal with the edges if you want to stop them from fraying (maybe you don't even care)

the easiest way will be if you have an overlock machine of some type, you can just sew the edges with that.

you probably don't have a serger or whatever and even if you do the best thing to do is a proper lap felled inseam. there's a pretty good tutorial on doing a felled seam without a felled seam foot right here.

the only problem is that in order to do it you'll have to tear open the outside seam to get at the inside and resew it when you're done.

At that point in pants, it's sort of easier just to take apart the whole lot anyway and star with the measurements you want.

Sewing like that may work, but it could also make your rear rise weirs and your panels sit at funny angles when you're done. If you remove the inseam and outseam stitching, adjust, and resew, you can be reasonably certain that they will still lay flat.

if you're just taking in below the knee it doesn't make a lot of difference beyond how each side is stitched.

but if you want to slim the whole leg, and possibly adjust the rise as well you have to do the inside.

I assumed illumin8em would want to do it that way because his pants are dickies and if he just tapers up the outside seam he will wind up with skinny legs but a huge top part