Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

Bumping thread....

After reading about denim, I decided to try making own pair. I am insane considering I dont have any formal training in sewing. I dont have any other hobbies to speak of and I could do with a pair of new jeans but never can find my size here.

Im planning on copying my Levis 512 as my fit. I got 9 meters of 72cm width denim. I hoping its enough. I have a sewing machine but its basic model, I'm a little worried that the machine will break when I attempt to sew stiff denim.

Any help, suggestion, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I did the same with a pair of 505's in December. Get denim needles, and realize that no matter how they look, your pants are hand made and cool.

These are now my work pants, starting to get fades (!)

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

The fit is absolutely ridiculous, the denim is shit, the thread is straight up yellow, but they hold together and everyone thought they were cool.

These I finished about a month ago

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg

I've since finished all the edges with a serger, but really I should have bucked the pattern and gone flatfelled again.

has anyone tried wax coating a pair of jeans/pants?

Speaking of wax coating, I've been interested in waxing plain cotton. Specifically for some cheap canvas military backpack that I think would look pretty cool if waxed.

Any ideas/suggestions on that? Would I just follow a similar course to people waxing denim?

i have done several experiments trying to achieve the waxed look on denim, so far nothing has worked. then again, i was just working with ideas i came up with. i haven't looked for any instructions or guides for doing it. if you have any luck let us know.

i have done several experiments trying to achieve the waxed look on denim, so far nothing has worked. then again, i was just working with ideas i came up with. i haven't looked for any instructions or guides for doing it. if you have any luck let us know.

Have you tried acrylic paint?

I seem to remember an old ass thread about someone wax coating a denim jacket. It involved a shitload of beewax mixed with paint thinner and an oven (iirc). The end result looked good, he got a nice coat on it. I'd think the smell would take a while to dissipate though...

I want to learn how to coat, but I also want to know if painting garments (like helmut land ss08 white pants) is just paint? I assume it's not, and I think it would be could to do a pair of black slacks of jeans with black.

any ideas? I'm afraid acrylic will rub off, maybe not?

ay, raworkshop what kind of serger do you use. any recomondations

An old White Superlock 734. I can't really recommend it, but I can't hate on it because it's the only one I've ever used. I'd go used and all metal if you're looking to get one, and as always, keep an eye on used industrial pieces if you have the space, they'll always be cheaper, especially in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

i believe homme.homme and diamonds both have experience with coating jeen

anyways my question, anyone familiar with dying leather? i saw a really peeeerfect cafe racer type of jacket at a thrift for like $20 bucks but it was a muted olive color. common sense and experience tells me black is the easiest color to dye to, and what i want, so is it feasible or not worth it for a piece of thrift ass garbage

First post on sufu!

So i have been doing some clothes for myself for lik 6months, but i just finished a pair of jeans for an friend.

2.JPG

DSC00095.JPG

No fit pic, he really likes them though.

I have also made the jean i´m wearing on the pic, and also the cardigan, but the cardigan did not turn out good at all.

Sorry if this has been posted already, but MAKE did a great screenprinting tutorial a while back (don't let the one guy's slightly annoying voice bother you, he doesn't appear in the video much):

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/05/learn_to_screenprint_your_1.html

PS: end of the video is really cool, guy puts LEDs and a voicebox on the shirt, shit's crazy

i believe homme.homme and diamonds both have experience with coating jeen

anyways my question, anyone familiar with dying leather? i saw a really peeeerfect cafe racer type of jacket at a thrift for like $20 bucks but it was a muted olive color. common sense and experience tells me black is the easiest color to dye to, and what i want, so is it feasible or not worth it for a piece of thrift ass garbage

you could probably take it to a dye house and get it done professionally if you were keen otherwise i would say its tricky to do on your own. is the colour that bad?

Here's a pair of pants I finished. Well actually, it had a bigger waistband on it, and I'm slimming it down, so pardon the unfinished work.

But it's a black striped 100% cotton twill. Not sure if the pictures do much justice. It's got an asymmetrical design. The front panels are placed on the bias, again you can see it a lot easier, because of the lines, it's subtle tho.

Let me know what you fuckers think

pant1ho6.jpg

pant2xh5.jpg

pant3aj8.jpg

pant4yr5.jpg

pant5lk7.jpg

pant6lu5.jpg

Here's a pair of pants I finished. Well actually, it had a bigger waistband on it, and I'm slimming it down, so pardon the unfinished work.

But it's a black striped 100% cotton twill. Not sure if the pictures do much justice. It's got an asymmetrical design. The front panels are placed on the bias, again you can see it a lot easier, because of the lines, it's subtle tho.

Let me know what you fuckers think

pant1ho6.jpg

pant2xh5.jpg

pant3aj8.jpg

pant4yr5.jpg

pant5lk7.jpg

pant6lu5.jpg

very very nice! I want a pair get on a 29 for me

it looks nice on the floor...

but why dont you post some fit pics up when you can?

I want to learn how to coat, but I also want to know if painting garments (like helmut land ss08 white pants) is just paint? I assume it's not, and I think it would be could to do a pair of black slacks of jeans with black.

any ideas? I'm afraid acrylic will rub off, maybe not?

It's probably plastisol ink with a reducer for flexibility. Acrylic won't rub off, but will probably look too 'surfacy,' flat, and rigid to look right.

Waxed cotton recipe:

2 cups boiled linseed oil

2 ounces (weight) beeswax

2 ounces (weight) rosin

Heat beeswax and rosin to 250º, stir until melted & combined. Remove from heat and add the oil. Brush on and wait one day between coats.

DO NOT ADD THE LINSEED WHILE ON HEAT, VERY FLAMMABLE!

experienced pattern maker i guess.

i knocked off the pattern from a pair of Capital E Stacked Skinny's. by far the best fitting jeans i own

here are the fit pics requested, sorry for the nut shot. and the ass does look a little off, then again i have no ass, so fuck it

fitpic1wc3.jpg

fitpic2af1.jpg

fitpic3hg0.jpg

fitpic4hi3.jpg

here they be.

let me know what you all think