Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

Then what is a good first time project.

I heard that t-shirts were good to start with, and I do know that sewing without an overlock machine or whatever will make your shirts look like shit, I just want to know if I'm up for the sewing business. I intend to try to make a pattern, sewing some shirts and then start to screenprint on them.

Probably gonna use some used bedclothes at first, before I get the hang of it.

I'm not a fashion student or anything like that but I've just been taking sewing and pattern making lessons since high school.

So.. this is an old photo back from my high school prom in indonesia.

prom2.jpg

I made my own dress and also the cloak that my prom date was wearing.

This definetely does not represent my current style whatsoever. But I am still pretty proud with it cause it only cost me like 12 dollars or so to make them both. :)

Yup made my own shoes does tht count?

plastikxp laboratories presents NON

A size 9 handmade shoes made out of motorbike seat vinyl leather, handstiched goodness so that every pair is given the same effort and craftmanship. Made for the oppressed,odds and rebels.

NON part two preview...

SSA52471.jpg

SSA52472-2.jpg

SSA52473.jpg

shoefoto.jpgshoefboxfoto-1.jpg

Prom or halloween?

this is scary...

I'm not a fashion student or anything like that but I've just been taking sewing and pattern making lessons since high school.

So.. this is an old photo back from my high school prom in indonesia.

prom2.jpg

I made my own dress and also the cloak that my prom date was wearing.

This definetely does not represent my current style whatsoever. But I am still pretty proud with it cause it only cost me like 12 dollars or so to make them both. :)

Does Parsons/FIT/CSM etc require you to have knowledge/evidence of how to make clothes or do they teach you the basics there ?

ive just applied to FIT. it depends on the major, which you have to select from the beginning and submit with the application. if you want to go for something that would fall into the category of design you have to submit a legit portfolio, but to my understanding even with that you dont need to know much about "how to make" anything, just demonstrate that you understand and have an eye for design

ive just applied to FIT. it depends on the major, which you have to select from the beginning and submit with the application. if you want to go for something that would fall into the category of design you have to submit a legit portfolio, but to my understanding even with that you dont need to know much about "how to make" anything, just demonstrate that you understand and have an eye for design

Post some designs, Dino.

id love to. but i dont consider myself talented/creative enough to do something like that. i applied for a non-design major so i didnt need to submit a portfolio.

i am working on a 2-d design portfolio however, nothing like fashion sketches or anything like that though. mostly printing. i have a bad habit of not working on just one piece at a time so ill get some pictures up in the "post your creations" thread as i finish them

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does Parsons/FIT/CSM etc require you to have knowledge/evidence of how to make clothes or do they teach you the basics there ?

You don't need to know shit. Just have a passion/desire to learn. But If you are considering applying, I highly recommend getting books and start to teach yourself things (especially the language). As well as look at every single piece of clothing you run into and examine how things are put together/open/etc.

i dont know to use/create a dot matrix image though

a grayscale image>image>mode>bitmap> halftone screen> play around with the frecuency amount.

Were those Begs photos or did he use someone elses? Killer, either way.

first one is by Paolo Roversi of Natalia Vodianova, i did remove her nose myself thou.....

Second one is from the Straw dogs poster. The middle one is of course mr chickens patch monkey.

01if0.jpg

Not too hard to be honest, thought it was gonna be a lot harder.

The hardest part must have been the neck.

Took me about 3 hours I think, but bear in mind that I haven't sewn in 9 years

Did not use overlock, overlock should take shorter time