Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

Take them outside drizzle like half a bottle of bleach on them. Then throw them in the washer with the rest of the bleach? I've done this before, that's how I did it. It worked.

Be careful about doing this and what you're doing it to! I've ruined a pair of jeans doing this before. If you're looking to get faded or more extreame wear i'd recommend mixing the bleach into the water first, you'll have to experiment with the amount of bleach to the amount of water. Putting bleach directly on your clothing can result in holes in your clothing or atrocious bleach stains, even if you put the clothing directly into the water after you use the bleach. Also, half a bottle? Sounds a little bit excessive, but if you got it to work...have any pictures of the jeans?

figured i'd post the pics of my most recent alteration on an old sweater i had. Probably not everyones style but here it is regardless:

Took an old sweater i got in 02. Originally was one piece, no buttons, paisley. went to the fabric store, got some fabric that would match and some buttons i liked, these are simply overall clasps that i got creative with. turned out better than i expected, still not entirely my thing but the one time i wore it out i got alot of compliments.

Ebays-Records014.jpg

And a closeup of the clasps:

Ebays-Records016.jpg

Well if you invested some time looking into fashion illustration manuals and books your come to realize that the actual look of the model holds no weight. In fashion illustration your trying to get the point across of what the garment is and how it moves and functions

If you do not understand proportions and movement of the body then you cannot design clothes. It doesn't matter if you design with sketches of clothes on figures or if you design purely with flats. It also doesn't matter if you're sketching for design purposes or fashion illustrating (illustration is generally done to convey a mood of a piece/designer/collection, things you see in magazines..but it still has to make sense)

When you start working in the real world you will realize how important it is to understand the body in design. If you don't, you will end up designing clothes on paper that do not make sense and you will either waste your time trying to solve these issues on your own, making really bad clothes or spending way too much money to hire someone to draft the clothes for you while they try to figure out your poor sketches.

i have thought about starting to make my own t-shirts more times than one man should.

honestly, how fucking hard is it for a company to make slim and long t-shirts!?!?

You know, if enough people were to able to agree on a fixed set of measurements, I could have AA actually MAKE us custom fitted t-shirts.

Oh, and I make printed shirts, but I don't think that counts as making your own clothes :).

i alter my own jeans and teeshirts though. haven't try shirts and dress pants yet because they always seems a hassle like u can't really get the best line out of em.

anyway does anyway have drafting patterns on shirts? i feel like buying fabrics and start wondering and experimenting how to make em.

and so far, i have make graphic prints for myself and a similiar impression of the dior homme's chalk tee too. granite works. and i'm going to try doing own colour fade like prada soon.

Can anyone recommend a decent sewing machine? I want to start making my own dress shirts because no one makes 14.5" neck sizes. I would consider myself a beginner, but I know how to use a sewing machine & serger somewhat.

I've been looking at a few models from Janome. Budget would be $500 max (ideally around $300) for the sewing machine. I don't need a serger right now.

Can anyone recommend a decent sewing machine? I want to start making my own dress shirts because no one makes 14.5" neck sizes. I would consider myself a beginner, but I know how to use a sewing machine & serger somewhat.

I've been looking at a few models from Janome. Budget would be $500 max (ideally around $300) for the sewing machine. I don't need a serger right now.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=637327&postcount=3

my brother got me some screens over a year ago and they have just been gathering dust in my bathroom so i thought id give it a try.

01cj2.jpg

02ia6.jpg

03hi6.jpg

i dont believe those were first tries like that.

if they were, im curious/envious. i dont know how to do or if i even have the equipment necessary for dot matrix stuff like the first and last

im fairly new to screen printing. but im pretty sure its not that simple. when burning a screen (getting the image to be printed onto it) theres some sort of technique you have to get a handle on and/or special materials to use in order to make photograph like prints like the those two, with different shades and sense of depth, at least with out using a million different screens for each shade/layer

the middle i could do, its pretty much two layers, the negative space/unprinted layer, and the solid/printed (black) color.. no variation other than that

I've been screening shit for a while myself, and between dino and fg0d you've pretty much got it.

You have to do some black magic with Photoshop involving DPI or LPI (lines per inch) according to the mesh count of your screen for REALLY good results.

Other than that its pretty much just an issue of getting either:

A) A large format printer that will spit out images on transparencies

OR

B) Getting a big enough piece of vellum paper to transfer your image onto.

From there on out its pretty much your standard coat, burn, and print procedure.

^i can print things on transparencies, but like i said, its still one level, i mentioned the dot matrix because im pretty sure if you print out a normal b/w photo onto a transparency and try to burn it then youre not going to have the variations in darkness/shades etc, correct? everything will either burn the same level or be too light and not penetrate at all..

west, i forgot, thanks for reminding me

Yeah, you could do it like that, where you have a screen for mids, highlights, lowlights, etc., but that takes a ton of time.

You could also get a similar effect by inverting the colors of your image (assuming its B&W and you're not printing CMYK) and using a dot matrix to shade using negative space.

You can see it on plenty of shirts that are essentially an oversized two color print (one that springs to mind is Flying Coffin's Karen Cooper tee from last season).

Instead of varying the size/intensity of white dots (using 3+ screens), they use negative space to achieve the shading effect (using 1 screen).

So you have dots of different sizes that AREN'T screened to achieve your mids, highlights, lowlights, etc.

Haha, it was really hard for me to type that out and have it sound coherent, so if you don't quite get it just PM me or something!

Just one more, then I'm done, promise!

For anyone who really gives a shit about screen printing, screensilk.com has been going strong for half a year now, which is pretty impressive (you know what a pain in the ass it is to find GOOD screen printing articles/tutorials/etc. if you've looked around).

Thats it I guess. Put away the mod-podge and break out the homemade emulsion!

Were those Begs photos or did he use someone elses? Killer, either way.

Also, there's a screenprinting tutorial on that site for "full color screenprinting," but I believe if you turn the image black and white first, and then use the shift to bitmap / lines-per-inch, etc... on just one of the layers and use that you'll end up getting the same effect as Begs, although I could be wrong. I've never actually tried it, but I've done it to a couple of images and by all means it looks like it should work. I'll have to try it sometime.

^ Yep, that'll get the job done just fine.

If you want to rough it out (AKA you don't know your mesh count/fiber thickness) you can set the image to greyscale, play with contrast, and then do color halftone (in Photoshop). If you enter a reasonable minimum pixel size you can usually get away with burning straight from your resulting image.

If you want to be really precise about your printing, then yes, following that tutorial from a black and white/greyscale starting point is the "professional" way to go about doing it.

so basically, if you invert and convert to bitmap using a halftone screen, then you should be allright. you would just use a round shape for the dot matrix to make it look smooth, correct? i've been trying to figure out how these are done too (just getting the file printed, not the screen printing itself) and i think this might work the best?

Quick tip that might not've been mentioned:

I couldnt find any transparencies as big as I was printing (roughly 18x20) so I went to Kinkos and had them print the image black on white paper then I took a sponge and wiped veggie oil all over the paper. Makes it like tracing paper. Then used that to burn the screen.

^^ If you didn't like what Kinkos charged you, you could get a similar effect by printing on vellum paper instead of transparency. Most printers can handle vellum whereas transparencies (as well as your printer itself, ESPECIALLY laserjets) might come out really fucked up. The oil rubdown works well on vellum too, but the shit is way delicate so be careful.

If you're trying to get a huge print, you could always go Rasterbator and just tape a few printouts of vellum/transparency together.