Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

same here. except im trying to get into FIT in new york. when do you plan on going and i haven't started my portfolio yet. nothing i've done seems worthy of putting in my portfolio but then again i plan on going to FIT in 2010 and thats if i get in....

hows your sketching skills? because i've never accually been taught to sew and sketch correctly i've developed my own way of sketching but i've heard the "right way" to sketch is like 1/4 of what you need to get into Parsons and FIT

same here. except im trying to get into FIT in new york. when do you plan on going and i haven't started my portfolio yet. nothing i've done seems worthy of putting in my portfolio but then again i plan on going to FIT in 2010 and thats if i get in....

hows your sketching skills? because i've never accually been taught to sew and sketch correctly i've developed my own way of sketching but i've heard the "right way" to sketch is like 1/4 of what you need to get into Parsons and FIT

FIT is actually my backup school. Ive never formally taken any fashion illustration classes only college drawing I. Im not sure exactly how i stack up to other students sketches. But here are some examples (not my best, and not really even happy with. But i know im hard on myself) but lemme know what ya think... post sum of your sketches id like to see.

port2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

HAhaha theres soo much tension. Westside ive read bout 400 pages of posts on this site and yours are the only posts that stump me hahah.

N e ways i just started an elective in pattern making at uni. i already know how to make a full length sleave and shirt collar. Hopefully at the end ill know alot more :)

haha.. westside is gangsta. he boned the girlboy from cassette playa.

minkous i dont get the pockets.. were you trying to make a pleated safari pocket? (expandable)?

your stitching is pretty irregular, you might want to experiment with the feet you are using and learn to match up feet edges to the stitch you had just sewn previously, or twin needle if your just sewing for aesthetic topstitch.

also, if your sewing down pockets, use a couple of pins to keep it inplace, then use a pintuck foot to get it much closer to the edge. this will bring the quality and overall aesthetic right up.

id recomend checking out winifred aldrichs books, to get a better idea of how patterns fit together. do this and also deconstruct some clothing you already got to figure out the exact construction etc.

then when youve mastered all you can of your lockstitch look into more advanced machine types and really blow us all away

:D

i'd also recommend minkous study anatomy because these sketches make these 'women' look horrid.

Well if you invested some time looking into fashion illustration manuals and books your come to realize that the actual look of the model holds no weight. In fashion illustration your trying to get the point across of what the garment is and how it moves and functions

Not to bust in, but to know the anatomy of the subject you plan to design for is to be a good designer. What good is making a dress if you don't understand the female figure. Although anatomy may not mean much with your acceptance into Parsons or FIT (I've done portfolios for both), they will mean something later on.

It is best to start learning it all while you have the free time.

Well if you invested some time looking into fashion illustration manuals and books your come to realize that the actual look of the model holds no weight. In fashion illustration your trying to get the point across of what the garment is and how it moves and functions

well, if you invested some time in taking a moment out of your busy day spent making poorly-considered purchases of Ralph Lauren sale items from a wavering department store that has spent the last 30 years unsuccessfully attempting to expand out of the crystal-meth soaked streets of the South to consider who the fuck you're speaking to, you'd come to realize that telling me to look into fashion illustration is like telling God to read the fucking Bible.

the 'actual look' of the model is the basis of every single fashion sketch.

a garment moves and functions only in relation to the human body, otherwise, there is no movement- it is a lifeless mess of fabric; and there is no function- it is a rag that might as well be used to wipe the drool from your mother's mouth as she is still mentally traumatized from having to drive your Drakkar Noir scented shrimp ass to Dillard's.

attempting to sketch a garment without paying an immense amount of consideration to how you want it to dance and play and move about the body of the model you are envisioning wearing your garment is a surefire way to end up with a career designing velour separates for Wal-Mart-

how fitting, considering your origins.

don't fucking come to new york. that's not a warning, it's a bare-bones fact.

Just wanted to post these pants I did recently.

Picked up a $3 pair of denim pants at the SalAm boutique, recut and restitched on my $80 target sewing machine.

Terrible stitching, but it adds to the appeal, and several fash industry friends asked me if it was Dior or Raf pants.

Now a friend is selling several of my pants along with my t-shirts in their boutique.

I'm not plugging the store, the moral of the story is it's easy and fun to make/modify your own clothing.

Oh yeah, and they ended up in a fashion editorial too... cant post full pics the photog didnt send them till mag is out.

pants.jpg

pants2.jpg

Next year, I want to try to get into the Fashion acedemy. Though, it's not that easy to get in there. So, I want to learn a lot of things, to get ahead of the other students that are trying to get in there.

Are there any books or something that you people could recommend me?

i dont know of any books in particular. basic sketch books and clothing construction books at any jo ann's or barnes and nobles should get you into the door. and i'm sure you already know that in fashion experience trumps book knowledge. so put together a portfolio and practice construction and sketching because if you're just now starting this field you're already at a disadvantage.

id recomend checking out winifred aldrichs books, to get a better idea of how patterns fit together. do this and also deconstruct some clothing you already got to figure out the exact construction etc.

:D

Yes yes yes yes.... I think those two sentences answer every question in this thread.

i dont know of any books in particular. basic sketch books and clothing construction books at any jo ann's or barnes and nobles should get you into the door. and i'm sure you already know that in fashion experience trumps book knowledge. so put together a portfolio and practice construction and sketching because if you're just now starting this field you're already at a disadvantage.

Ok, thanks I'll do that.

Eh, I'm not so sure its that big a disadvantage. All the kids I know who go to Parson's and FIT didn't really have much experience in actual garment construction at all before they went. They were just really into design. The sewing technique and all that they teach you once you're there.

Also I'm not sure what you've heard, but I know lots of kids at both schools and its not terribly difficult to get in.

Also I'm not sure what you've heard, but I know lots of kids at both schools and its not terribly difficult to get in.

my aunt went to FIT and did the one year course. she said it was easy to get into but i had a few friends that said it was hard. i'm not entirely sure which one to believe so i'm trying to over prepare myself.

thanks for the information. but i'm beginning to realize that FIT is easy to get into.

• 2 weeks later...

picture009zh2.jpg

picture010op1.jpg

Deep apologies for the webcam pictures. Camera broke.

Zipper belt prototype.

Satin front, denim back.

Look out for some Fabulazly-made denims in the very near future.