Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

This is a question for all you fine sufu craftsmen. How much do you think it costs to make a Visvim noragi? And do you think it would be possible to create something very similar fairly easily? I ask this because it resembles my kendo keiko gi although with a slimmer cut and being a high school student I can't really afford to drop 300+ on this.

what a strange coincidence cause i was going to post in here that i was going to a custom noragi. the only problem is if i can follow through.

This is a question for all you fine sufu craftsmen. How much do you think it costs to make a Visvim noragi? And do you think it would be possible to create something very similar fairly easily? I ask this because it resembles my kendo keiko gi although with a slimmer cut and being a high school student I can't really afford to drop 300+ on this.

the problem is the fabric. making it is easy

Truth be told its pretty easy but the seams on the plackets sewn to the body would be a pain. It would also be easier to do unlined, and the ties would be a huge pain in the ass but as an added benefit you don't need to add them because nobody uses them. The nature and structure of the garment is very simple, think about how farmers used to make similar overshirts with shitty equipment. Most of visvims pricing comes in the fabric and brand name for stuff like noragis and lhamo shirts. Buy a replica noragi off of taobao and take it apart for a pattern. They're like 60 bones before ship and proxy so maybe 100 total?

but say that you don't want to spend more money (although however much spent on making your own noragi it'll still be way cheaper than a visvim noragi), couldn't you just get a cardigan and use that as your pattern? maybe a couple of adjustments here and there and it shouldn't be too far off from a noragi.

at least that's what i've been doing. pretty funny shit, but I gotta use something lol.

and also since I am making it myself I was thinking of adding welded pockets or tapered seams (even though it's completely unconventional). whatevs hahaha

or we can make it easy on ourselves and just purchase from where Fycus suggested,

http://search8.taobao.com/search?q=noragi&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&pid=mm_14507416_2297358_8935934

Edited by mr.invincible

That's what I was suggesting- If you really wanna do it right then buy a repro. That way you can see what kinda stitching technique is used and what type of seams are on the jacket. Sure I could use a cardigan or anything but it really comes down to the details to make it look normal. Then again, if you're buying a repro you might as well wear it if you are trying to get the same thing for less. It would be nice to get some repros with better fabric if ppl are gonna actually look into it.

Edited by Fycus

i like making simple jersey tops for myself with just an overlock machine and no particular finishings - raw edges - weird cuts, it has an authentic look, i have no idea when is the last time i have bought something from a real clothing store actually...

there is nothing interesting at a decent price level these days, designers are way too expensive. DIY is cheap and cool, but there is usually a difficulty to find a good fabric at a decent price too, some are way to expensive as well, that sometimes it is not worth the time and the effort to make clothes yourself. cheap fabrics are usually synthetics and polyesters, no thanks..

I do admire people making their own clothes though.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't make my own clothes but I modify them. Add stuff on it, nothing wrong, it's like putting some fancy rims and bodykit on a car. Same concept.

This is my latest project.

51cec0842cd011e2adac22000a1fbe03_7.jpg

Inspired from

thom-browne-fall-winter-2012-0.jpg

Thom-Brown-5-Green-.jpg

Thom-Brown-3-Blue-.jpg

It is still incomplete, I have yet to stud the back shoulder pads and both back elbows. Approximately 180+ spikes required, and estimate time of 24 hours to complete the studding process.

• 2 weeks later...

I do. I just got a job at this place in Asheville, NC and am working on some masculine clothes.We're completely vertical, so we make all of the fabric as well. Right now I'm working on getting some hemp from Colorado to make jackets and parkas, etc. We're also looking for a new website person because our's sucks, hasn't been updated in a year!!(if you're interested in designing a functional store website gimme a shout at [email protected]) But if you'd like to see where it's at so far, check out www.spiritex.net. We got a long way to go to go but we don't know where we're goin when we're lost. We're really good at t-shirts though. They're the softest ever, made out of organic cotton grown in the US and made right here in Asheville. Perhaps I'll get some more textiles running out of NC like it was back in the day. That's a dream of mine.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

just go on ebay and buy a real authentic noragi. you can get them for around 50 USD usually. take it to a tailor and have them tailor it to you so the sleeves aren't so huge and the body is slimmer. will probably cost you less than 100 total.

• 1 month later...

I am a manufacturer of T-shirts and i like the T-shirt designs. So many of times i watched designs from the internet and made them and stich it for a sample piece...

• 2 weeks later...

got some nice fitting RL t-shirts as a gift but I'm not much for the logo so instead of returning them I got creative. more of an alteration but a creation nonetheless. Polo logo is on the bottom right of the tshirt, i had the wife stitch some jp boro scraps over it.

mw4is1.jpg

uqvja.jpg

^ Really nice, stitching looks really clean and well made overall

I think in the future if you were to do them again it might be worth tapering more with the outseam rather than the inseam and that would probably avoid the stacking above the outside of your knee (but that might just be how it looks in the photo)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted · Hidden by jimmyc, May 10, 2013 - Spam?
Hidden by jimmyc, May 10, 2013 - Spam?

I am also wants to share some collection from my firm:

11.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

Give me your reviews...

• 1 month later...

Can't for the life of me find the threak, but there used to be a discussion solely focused on dyeing.

Garment in question is 80% cotton 20% nylon blend, what is the best dye I could use to attain even coverage? Going from olive to black. From my understanding acid dye will only affect the nylon and not the cotton. Are there dyes that are a mixture of acid for nylon and pigment for cotton?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

NYs resolution is to make my own clothes. I've been making patterns every chance I get (weekends only) and 3 weekends in, I've got 6 shirts. In all, I want to make 6 shirts, 2 jackets, 4 shorts and 3 trousers and a pair of jeans. Suffice to say I've got a long way to go haha! In this rate I'll need another 10 weekends!