Anyone make their own clothes?

fg0d

• 2 weeks later...

anyone have experience making shorts? tough?

im thinking of (what i think is) a really pretty simple pattern, not imagining it to be any more complex than a pair of standard gym shorts as far as the amount of cutting/sewing goes..

i cant find anything too close to the look i want for under a jallion dollars and shits always a millions times more fulfilling when done yourself so im thinking i might just take a stab at making the fuckers..

also, im thinking neoprene... super interested in my perceived possible outcome.. though ive never really heard of it being used in this manner and am thinking there may be good reason for that.. dont know how practical it could be...

all help is appreciated<3

ive made shorts befo... i don't get what your asking though..

do you know how to pattern? shorts are v.simple, shouldnt take more than a few hours start to fin'.

i'll be working on a decent short pattern soon to become a block, if you can stand a few weeks wait im sure i could grade up to your size of 1000hippos and do you a pair

T

no i dont "know" how to pattern but im assuming i could at least come up with a crude semblance.. im thinking of a pair of drop crotch joints using two pieces of fabric that wrap around thus doing away with the outseam, elastic/drawstring waist, and pockets, if any, just sewn onto the outside like on some basic ass military type stuff because i figure any sorta slant/slit/whatever theyre called pockets with pocket bags and all would be getting way in over my head

basically im wondering if the patterning is going to give me a mind fuck and reveal that its way more complicating than im originally assuming it to be as far as ending up with the fit im looking for in the end..

i still dont know if im making sense.. im a textiles major not menswear

Neoprene is not a good idea for shorts. Even with a walking foot its probably too much of a struggle if you havent had experience with the fabric. And they will be as stiff as fuck for drop crotch shorts!!

If you dont know how to patternmake just rip up and old pair of shorts/pants

and go off that? you can copy the fly and other pieces too or just have a seam at the front?

I am making shorts too , summer is coming

i'll post pics if they work out

^right

alright thanks all for the feedback. i was worried about that, guess ill have to find something else to use. ideas? thick jersey maybe but id prefer something more interesting

If you dont know how to patternmake just rip up and old pair of shorts/pants

and go off that?

yeah this was exactly what i was going to do

Can anyone lend a hand?

I'm having a bitch of a time trying to do some horizontal stitches on a pair of leggings. I have no idea what is the appropriate way to do stretch stitches. The fabric is kind of like half way between jersey and spandex in terms of stretch. Do I have to use paper / baste / whatever when I'm stitching? HALP

• 3 months later...

got a sweet sewing machine for free so i've been doing lots of creating lately.

feedback appreciated.

asymmetric curved tank with raw edges

50/50 cotton/poly

photo.php?pid=10191346&id=7023354301227092155.jpg

gabardine wool drape scarf with hook eye closure and leather detailing

photo.php?pid=10327208&id=702335430PictureorVideo0052.jpg

17861_390965245430_702335430_103272.jpg

photo.php?pid=10327207&id=702335430

gabardine vest with hook eye. womens

photo.php?pid=30801566&id=137052007816959_1243936583120_1370520078_3080.jpg

sorry about the crappy cellphone pictures. more to come.

double layer tank:

rayon/poly blend i think??

0112002309.jpg