magazines bookstores in Paris

eric2019

Hi folks,

I'm having trouble finding a bookstore with a large magazine selection here in town. I just got in a day ago and all I'm finding are kiosks. I'm actually looking for decent selection of French fashion magazines to do some research. What are great are bookstores with large magazine selections. In London, I actually found a Borders bookstores and went through their magazines.

Also looking for cool stores - besides what is listed on Superfuture, can anyone recommand a part of town to go snoop through ?

Thanks guys - I'll be here for a week before leaving for London.

What's buggin' my ears now :

Telefon Tel Aviv - Map of What is Worthless

Klute - Fear of People

Sidestepper - 3 am : In Beats We Trust

KLF - White Room

Eric

WH Smith on the Rue de Rivoli (just off the Place de la Concorde) has a good selection of English magazines.

In London, try RD Franks Ltd on Market Place (on the corner of Great Titchfield St). It's very close to Borders on Oxford St. This shop has fashion mags galore.

Pharis

Thanks for the info... I'll go check it out - anybody else have other suggestions ?

Also recommendation for photography/design/arts bookstores be appreciated too !

I found a great tiny store specializing in such in Berlin called Pro-qm (www.pro-qm.com) so for those interested in such , it's a great place. There's also a nicely deisgn bar called Riva Bar slightly down the street under the rail station. I'll be writing this up on here when I get back to the States....

thank you !

e

Klute - Fear of People

KLF - White Room

Edited by eric2019 on Apr 26, 2004 at 04:54 AM

Hey, I found the bookstore - terrific ! I found most of what I was looking for so thanks again for letting me know about it. Wasn\t that diffcult to find.

have a good one !

e

Klute - Fear of People

KLF - White Room

Hey, I found the bookstore - terrific ! I found most of what I was looking for so thanks again for letting me know about it. Wasn\t that diffcult to find.

have a good one !

e

Klute - Fear of People

KLF - White Room

Brentano's (avenue de l'opéra near the opera) at the back of the store.

There are lots of other places but I can't think of them right now icon_smile_sleepy.gif

G,

I'll go check it out today = thanks again for the input.

Any idea where there's a cool part of town in terms of stores....not the bigger name ones but stuff like Surface to Air....

And what is the deal with the cardboard boxes by the ashtrays in the subways ? Are you supposed to throw trash in the box or the ticket stub ?

E

Klute - Fear of People

KLF - White Room

the best bookstores in Paris (they sell magazines too):

the bookstore of the Centre Beaubourg (very wide choice)

the bookstore of the Palais de Tokyo

Librairie de la Hune on Boulevard Saint-Germain

Colette has a smaller but excellent selection

Quote:

the best bookstores in Paris (they sell magazines too):

the bookstore of the Centre Beaubourg (very wide choice)

the bookstore of the Palais de Tokyo

Librairie de la Hune on Boulevard Saint-Germain

Colette has a smaller but excellent selection

--- Original message by titus on Apr 27, 2004 02:45 AM

la hune is kewl! but the name "shakespeare and company" comes to mind when it comes to english bookstores. although there's taschen as well in the area (6th)! then the museums' bookstores have some english selection. it actually depends on what type of books one wants to source, no?

i should check centre beaubourg, building a collection these days - i'm into culture, art, fabric, antiques, and biographies.

baby, we're all beautiful!

--isla maia

Thanks yáll for the suggestions.

I went to Brentano and check out their selections - actually found a copy of URB magazine, first time I've seen it out here in Paris.

My research is simple. I'm hitting the magazines based here to introduced myself as a photographer based in LA. Of course all the big celebrities will get their big photographers but

if there's a new up and coming guy/gal, I can do it. I'm also interested in fashion and so I'm digging for magazines I can't find in the US so I can get the address and go a-calling.

Basically you look better if you got tearsheets from outside the US. Like Hal Hartley, you get no respect at home but overseas. I've gone to a couple today - MAX, Le Magazine Double. drop my book off at Gloss, gonna recall Jalouse tomorrow, blah. blah, blah....whomever will hire me !

And of course if I can find photography books I can't get at home or Amazon.com, even more the better !

If you're curious about my work, see www.optiknerve.com - there's a temp page up with most of the stuff that is in my book.

Oh, if you think you have a suggestion of a magazine I should go see here (based upon what you see in my gallery), please, let me know ! I'll be town for a few more days pounding the pavement.....

I knew I could get the info I needed here at Superfuture !

Merci,

E

Klute - Fear of People

KLF - White Room

lots of photo/design/fashion/art books and magazines:

OFR system - 30 rue Beaurepaire near République

ofrpublications.com