Favorite ten Supreme Court cases

This isn't political commentary, just a list of my favorite United States Supreme Court cases, please don't lock. Just like music albums, i find it hard to pick just ten. these are the first ten that come to mind, though:

1. Marbury v. Madison: Can't go wrong with the classics. i'm a huge fan of the Marshall court, but mostly his earlier work. The opinion was brilliant, Marshall practically constructed the entire judicial branch by himself in the majority opinion.

2. Lemon v. Kurtzman: i've used the Lemon test many times in situations in my own life. Entanglement, secular legislative purpose and neither advancing nor prohibiting religion? the lines between church and state never were before, and have not since been defined so clearly than in Burger's opinion. Genius.

3. Gideon v. Wainwright: This is miraculous David versus Goliath shit right here, Greece versus Persia, Wilco versus Reprise, etc.

4. Grutter v. Bollinger

5. New Jersey v. TLO

6. Tinker v. Des Moines Ind. Comm. School Dist.

7. Cohens v. Virginia

8. United Steelworkers of America v. Weber

9. Roe v. Wade

10. California v. Cabazon Band Of Mission Indians: No civil state regulatory power over Indian reservations? Thank God; it took the court long enough to make this decision, though.

what. are you for real.

Yeah. Some people listen to music and appreciate. Some people go to art museums and look at and analyze art. i enjoy reading Supreme Court cases; majority and minority written opinions, oral arguments, testimony, etc. Just because reading Kennedy's written opinion on Gonzales v. Planned Parenthood isn't as popular as listening to the new Voxtrot album doesn't make doing so less valid.

In summary, fuck you.

OJ and Michael Jackson

haha

OJ was tried in criminal and civil courts.Michael Jackson was tried by a grand jury. None of those are the supreme court...

Dope thread. Maybe I'll contribute later...

Looking forward to it. People who are into this shit are too few and far between.

i hate how everyone on this forum gets in a huge pissing contest (myself included, i'll admit it) over shit like music but as soon as we get to something that has a significant substantive legal impact on the country (like interpreting the US constitution), all of a sudden, everyone is just like...

"..."

EDIT:

Are you a lawyer? Or just a fan of lawyers.

i'm an education major, actually. Lawyers argue their cases in the Supreme Court, yes, but that doesn't mean i'm a fan of what they do. i like keeping track of Supreme Court opinions the same way people keep track of football or soccer. Different strokes.

Some people like watching ESPN, i like reading Scotusblog.

Some people listen to music and appreciate. Some people go to art museums and look at and analyze art. i enjoy reading Supreme Court cases.

i like keeping track of Supreme Court opinions the same way people keep track of football or soccer.
Some people like watching ESPN, i like reading Scotusblog.
Just like music albums, i find it hard to pick just ten.

wait wait wait. so, are you trying to say that just like some people have a particular hobby, other people can have others? :confused:

i'm not catching your drift. i need another analogy.

wait wait wait. so, are you trying to say that just like some people have a particular hobby, other people can have others? :confused:

i'm not catching your drift. i need another analogy.

Some like making analogies, some like pointing them out.

edit: i'm glad you finally understand, doczein, it just seems no number of analogies will make it understandable for trolls like Roflcopterpwnsyou. Maybe i should switch up my game. Metaphor?

Yeah. Some people listen to music and appreciate. Some people go to art museums and look at and analyze art. i enjoy reading Supreme Court cases; majority and minority written opinions, oral arguments, testimony, etc. Just because reading Kennedy's written opinion on Gonzales v. Planned Parenthood isn't as popular as listening to the new Voxtrot album doesn't make doing so less valid.

it actually amazes me that so few people realize how important this shit is. thanks for bringing it up!