*A Bathing Ape in NYC

funfriend101

SoHo it is.

"Japanese retailer debuts in SoHo

A hip Japanese retailer called A Bathing Ape, known for its limited-edition clothes with a simian theme, has selected SoHo for its first U.S. store, slated to open this fall.

The company has signed a 10-year lease for a 3,100-square-foot space on three levels at 91 Greene St.

The asking rent for the ground floor was $250 per square foot. The space was formerly occupied by Tehen, an apparel retailer."

http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?newsId=7793/

Crazy huh?

If you havent picked up Wonderwall: Masamichi Katayama Projects, you should. Awesome.

Are there any specific dates for the store opening? I'd love to fly out for the grand opening. peace.

by the way, does anyone know if Union LA or Supreme NYC has the new KATE MOSS BOX TEE? I think this is a SUPREME JP exclusive but im not sure. im not really into supreme but that shirt is money.

Edited by edwin on Apr 28, 2004 at 06:10 PM

I think rent is count as one year bases so it's around $21/sqft ($250/12).

By the way, yes it is very sad underground going mainstream...well but i think Bape never go underground it is that both underground and mainstream ppl loved them.

Ai their sneaker r nice indeed but I would say it is only a copycat of the world sneakers...AF1...superstars... Well i do say they are very creative but they are not good at designing stuff themself. Turning New york yankee's Logo into their collaboration logo..m...i am not up to that!

SUBCULTURE GOING MAINSTREAM..........THE END OF THE WORLD!

Edited by sample on May 1, 2004 at 03:56 PM

does anyone know when the OFFICIAL grand opening of the shop is? I was planning on taking a trip to NYC this year, and since Ape is opening this year, I would like to know exactly when the opening would be. Anyone? NYC heads? FUTURA? peace.

Edited by edwin on May 7, 2004 at 08:20 PM

Quote: I am tired of ape shit. enough of ape faces. They are like GAP or Old Navy, no? They have to put APES on every t-shirts. Only kids in coutry side buy their stuff. Their sales in Japan is not doing well that's why they are going ny

agreed. bape stopped being relevant about 3-4 years ago. talk about one of THE most played out brands out there, bape is like fashion equivalent of Starbucks.

right now it's all about independents, it always has been and always will be.

if they move, kill 'em.

Quote:
Quote: I am tired of ape shit. enough of ape faces. They are like GAP or Old Navy, no? They have to put APES on every t-shirts. Only kids in coutry side buy their stuff. Their sales in Japan is not doing well that's why they are going ny

agreed. bape stopped being relevant about 3-4 years ago. talk about one of THE most played out brands out there, bape is like fashion equivalent of Starbucks.

right now it's all about independents, it always has been and always will be.

--- Original message by marine_corpse on May 22, 2004 06:08 AM

While I think Bape has come tight with shit every so often... to be honest, I always viewed Bape as usually being a corny over priced version of XLARGE... right down to using basically the same logo.

what ever, does anyone know a shop in NYC where i can buy BAPE stuff (no sneakers - just tees and hoodys...)

thanks in advance,

s

"If you hold back anything, I'll kill ya. If you bend the truth or I think your bending the truth, I'll kill ya. If you forget anything I'll kill ya. In fact, you're gonna have to work very hard to stay alive, Nick. Now do you understand everything I've said? Because if you don't, I'll kill ya." (Rory Breaker)

• 2 weeks later...

people who like ape should freely be able to like ape, but the fashionistas must deal with the reality as stated above that ape is a mainstream brand in Japan only worn by kids from outside Tokyo who get their fashion advice from mainstream magazines. the myth of being "underground" only exists because the brand was so hard to get outside of Japan for so long. (because Nigo long felt that selling to the American market was akin to "mass-marketing"). now, the brand is so dead in Japan that he has to open a store in Soho to retool the brand image and sell it back to the Japanese as something that Americans like (gyaku-yunyuu). if you like the design, go for it. but don't fool yourself that Ape is still hot property on the other side of the Pacific. your Japanese alter-ego wouldn't be caught dead in it. true story.

Some "pass the hatorade" follows... ;)

To me it's surprising how long Nigo has been able to keep the brand succesful (and how many millions of $$$ he's earned doing it). Keeping in mind that the basic concept for the brand was (is?) initially based on familiar elements/designs: the Planet of the Apes franchise, a camo pattern and even the ape head logo (I think it's some public domain clip art even, I could be wrong about that, though). And of course not forgetting the huuuge price tag.

Just think about the Bapesta sneakers - an exact carbon copy of AF1's with a star (or "Sta"...) instead of the Nike emblem. OK, the various colorways have been delicious, but the price tag of $250-350 hasn't.

As for Nigo's talents as I designer, well I haven't been too convinced about those. Okay, there have been some exceptions, but there's also been a lot of left-handed stuff. I mean, just take a look at this new design for the Bape Sounds Tee (http://www.busyten.com/photos/big/22042004092535.jpg) - cheesh! That looks like something a 10-year old kid came up with while fiddling with Photoshop's effects.

My opinion is, that the only thing Nigo is a genius of, is brand management and marketing (or lack thereof!). You'll have to give the man props for creating a whole empire from a love for Planet Of The Apes, high priced limited edition items and a whole lot of street hype.

Edited by Tequila on Jun 13, 2004 at 11:01 AM