The Steam Locomotive

Conie Jeans

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just saw The Steam Locomotive Jeans in person and I must say that it is one of the most unique jeans I've seen. It's like the first time I saw the Oni Denim when I went to Ueno. I'm sure it also fades beautifully. Anyone's got a pair? Please post pics!

I'm tempted to order one!

Yes, I saw the D51XX but I think the lettering in the patch was colored gold. Weird...The fabric does look like the Oni's but in a slubby different kind of way. I like it a lot. I'm also wonderig why people don't talk about this brand that much. I think it's top quality.

Chponglasia pm'ed me and asked that I post information about my d51's in this thread. sorry, I don't have anything useful in terms of pictures so I'll bore you all with text.

fit details:

I don't have these jeans with me at the moment so I can't give you exact measurements, but the d51's are a very classic repro pair and should be worn in the true spirit of repro's without consulting fancy schmancy charts :) best worn boxy, awkward and short inseamed. I kid - they aren't super slim at all so they might not fit the current trend around here.

quality:

I unfortunately have a very different aesthetic when it comes to denim and don't like contrasting fades/honeycombs. That said - these jeans gave me some intense creases around the thigh and front pockets - which might have been appreciated around here. I'm no expert but I found the denim to be vastly superior to flatheads/lvc's. I don't include samurai's/sda's only because of the lighter denim. My fullcount's still hold a special place - but that's for another thread another time.

The denim is lusciously fibrous - not slubby like my samurai's but different. I wash my jeans every week and was on the road in India for about 2 months with the d51's as my only pair and inspite of the beating (on a farm) - the indigo and the fabric held up very well.

Washing around the 'dhobi-ghats' (rural India's version of a laundromat without the coins and cutesy 'Sud's Your Duds Laundry' title) usually consists of soaking them in this huge open cesspool and beating the hell out of them on rocks. rinse and repeat. Compare this to my flatheads/lvc's which are spoilt silly by mr.haier and mrs.tide every week and still turn pale and soft.

this is not an expert review at all - so please excuse anything I may have said out of ignorance.

Sorry for so many questions, but in terms of the thigh and overall leg, is the D51 considerably baggier than the S5000VX? And I'm assuming you wear a 34 in both? Can you recall if they were true to tagged size in the waist?

I'm fully obsessed now. I'm deciding between the D51XXX - same cut as yours, but a crazy slubtacular denim, or the D62XX - their slimmer cut.

I wouldn't be able to make a fair comparison - at the time I was in the possession of the d51's I was on the road a lot and in better shape - so they felt roomier than the s5vx, which aren't very tight either. I'd say a tad looser which might have more to do with the low waist in the samurai's? yes, 34 in both. If they do have a slimmer cut - you might be happier with it - these weren't the most flattering cut as I said earlier.