request for insight...

LadyFrank

Desperately seeking info on the market for fine jewelry in Tokyo...

Is it sold in department stores or specialty stores? What's kind of people generally sport high-end designer jewelry? Most importantly, what brands are popular?

Any advice on how to go about doing research? Contacts in the market?

I'd be grateful for ANY insight...you guys are da' best :)

Cheers!

fine jewelry mostly found in corners in prestigious department stores (Isetan Shinjuku, Ginza Mitsukoshi, etc).....also some boutiques in Ginza mostly.....

wedding market very competitive in Japan, mostly platine...silver gold still very small market.....

Cartier doing fine...around JPY 60 Billion business...(vs Vuitton JPY 150 Billion, Dior 25 Billion, Chanel 60 Billion)...

Bulgary, Tiffany always hot....LV-De Beers just opened 2 boutiques in department stores...still very little awareness...

Dior just launched 'Gourmette' with heavy advertising.....sales still slow....

• 2 weeks later...

there's also a dominance of domestic market actors (such as Star) on a nationwide basis. market research show jewellery contradicts other luxury goods by stronger positions for local brands for any country, due to what my guess is, competitive advantage in distrubtion and strong consumer preference shaped by tradition.

over the course of research, i've discovered exactly what you've summized.

apparently, the luxury goods market was booming a while back...since '96ish, sales have declined about one-third to 1.2 trillion yen (10.8 billion dollars). an article i read from the IHT online reports that "japan's population is aging rapidly, and the sluggish economy, rising unemployment and higher taxes mean that the smaller new generation of young adults have less to spend." this is meaningful based on the fact older/aging generations generally buy luxury goods...as opposed to younger generations.

i think that once the market gets better...all those women who are working hard and marrying late will begin spending more money on themselves...you know, splurging on luxury items. of course, the market has to get better first...who knows how long that will take.

Vuitton and Coach have decided to open stand-alone stores as opposed to remaining in shopping mall locations...but i don't really see how this would make a difference.