Graffiti Saved My Life

uhhh... I know your a superjunkie and this is only my second post but even I can see that there is one pic in 10 pages of discussion. Thats not what graf is about. Graf artists are visual communicators. Why don't you go back to your graf discussion, and keep talking while we get a feel for what the graf scene actually looks like in other neighborhoods.

uhhh... I know your a superjunkie and this is only my second post but even I can see that there is one pic in 10 pages of discussion. Thats not what graf is about. Graf artists are visual communicators. Why don't you go back to your graf discussion, and keep talking while we get a feel for what the graf scene actually looks like in other neighborhoods.

truth. we need a seperate picture thread.

Don't mean to sound like a dick, and if you feel that there should be a seperate picture thread then so be,

but if you're going to act smart like this you might want to start this thread with actual pictures yes?

dino might goes the typical route.

i used to love neck face, now im so indifferent to it that i kind of want to puke. man did thqat fad fade quick. bigfoots meh. cool guy though. dudes eats tabs for breakfast i think.

i guess i understnad why youd notice them since theyve been covered in any and all "street culture" mags/blogs. although i think both are talented in their own way and possibly relevant to their scene in ways, they just arent all that spectatular once you get past the hype.

i used to love neck face, now im so indifferent to it that i kind of want to puke.

I feel the same way.

When I first heard of/saw Neck Face I was like, "this guy sucks."

Then I saw how up he was and I was like, "OK this guy's up. Props."

But then he got all famous, and for what? His style is straight garbage. Call me a hater, but those "tags" on those grates are trash. Sure he's up, but just getting these craze spots and putting your wack name on them shouldn't get you fame.

Lately I've been hating on a lot of graffiti cause it's just so boring and repetitive. When's the last time you saw anything truly innovative?

I love Neckface. I can understand respecting an artist and just not feeling his/her style but you really think he is garbage?

I was actually talking to Dino about this last week while he was in NYC but I feel there is something very human about Neckface's work. I haven't met the guy myself but apparently he is just out there doing his thing and doesn't try to explain/justify/intellectualize his work much. I feel as though there is a cultural and societal filter in the way for every creative process I perform but that Neckface is some how able to remove this filter from his work.

One of the first pieces of his I saw is the hairy arm on top of a building which is 40 feet long or something... I think he has put this up in a few different places. When I see it there is something which captures me about it. The way that I wish I thought of these things myself, I relate to his work on a personal level. I have heard it said about Steve Jobs and other really great public speakers that they are so good because just as the audience is thinking "ok.. that is good but there must be another way to look at it, something else to do-" then before they can finish the though Jobs is one step ahead and flips to the next slide and the entire audience is thinking "exactly! that is what I would have thought." Neckface is doing the same thing to me on an artistic visual level.

Count me out if you want since I have to admit I first heard about Neckface from his New Yorker talk of the town write up. Additionally I have to admit I don't really like any of the stuff I have seen from him in the past year or more, and that his tags when he is just scrawling stuff doesn't do much for me. I respect that he has gone corporate though, he is making some money no doubt and I have to let him.

In terms of innovation, I haven't seen much recently. I am getting pretty sick of "street art" graf murals but also sick of dumb tags and names everywhere. Someone will come along though.

I love Neckface. I can understand respecting an artist and just not feeling his/her style but you really think he is garbage?

I was actually talking to Dino about this last week while he was in NYC but I feel there is something very human about Neckface's work. I haven't met the guy myself but apparently he is just out there doing his thing and doesn't try to explain/justify/intellectualize his work much. I feel as though there is a cultural and societal filter in the way for every creative process I perform but that Neckface is some how able to remove this filter from his work.

One of the first pieces of his I saw is the hairy arm on top of a building which is 40 feet long or something... I think he has put this up in a few different places. When I see it there is something which captures me about it. The way that I wish I thought of these things myself, I relate to his work on a personal level. I have heard it said about Steve Jobs and other really great public speakers that they are so good because just as the audience is thinking "ok.. that is good but there must be another way to look at it, something else to do-" then before they can finish the though Jobs is one step ahead and flips to the next slide and the entire audience is thinking "exactly! that is what I would have thought." Neckface is doing the same thing to me on an artistic visual level.

Count me out if you want since I have to admit I first heard about Neckface from his New Yorker talk of the town write up. Additionally I have to admit I don't really like any of the stuff I have seen from him in the past year or more, and that his tags when he is just scrawling stuff doesn't do much for me. I respect that he has gone corporate though, he is making some money no doubt and I have to let him.

In terms of innovation, I haven't seen much recently. I am getting pretty sick of "street art" graf murals but also sick of dumb tags and names everywhere. Someone will come along though.

hes talented in many ways. for one getting the spots he gets is a feat that i could never front on. also, turning such an irrevernat style into a commercially viable commodity is something that most writers will bitch about but i wont. i think hes wicked in the sense that when i see his stuff i laugh my ass off and wish i had the balls to drop silly shit like he does. my only beef is his level of success and exposure cretes some wack mythical idea for outsiders who see his shit and think that the best this medium has to offer, if he was niche id glorify him, but hes not, hes become a beacon of the culture and i think that betrays hte level of aesthetic integrity some other dudes are putting into their work. im a total snob about that stuff though, so my opinion is both biased and pretnetious. go neckface, though. cambodian midgets need all the fame they can get.

I work in an "art supplies" store a couple days a week, don't know if that says enough about whether I'm interested or not...

It doesn't bother me that much, but I care about keeping the forum organized, and about putting a certain amount of effort towards making a new thread. Since the OP tried to be a smartass by starting a new picture thread without any pics he might aswell have bumped the already existing thread with a request for more pics no?.

Or was that thread in such a bad state that it didn't deserve a second chance?