High End Shopping in Paris for the GF

jubei

Hey all,

Now that I have a decent paying job, I'd like to buy my gf something real nice when I head to Paris with the fam this summer. Was wondering what some of the high lights of Paris Luxury shopping would be. I know that a lot of the stuff is priced at luxury prices anyway (boo to US-Euro exchange rates) but I hear there is a lot of good second hand luxury shopping near the Champs Elysses... anywhere else I should hit?

I should note that she usually prefers unique, vintage items over new ones (hence the interest in second hand luxury good shopping) so any recommendations in that vein would be great.

Give Anouschka a call on 01 48 74 37 00. She is a former model who sells couture from the 20s to the 80s from a three-room apartment in Paris. You need to make an appointment first.

Anouschka

6 Avenue du Coq 75006 (RER station Haussmann-St-Lazare)

Paris

as far as luxury goes:

mostly like the high profile stuff, particularly Gucci, Goyard, Chanel... sometimes LV. The older stuff usually catches her eye more than the modern stuff, though she still likes the occasional modern piece.

By the by, what's everybody's opinion here on Goyard? I'm not sure how I feel about them... the materials don't feel too much more different from LV, yet the price is a good deal higher. Is it all hype or is there a rationale for the price?

as far as luxury goes:

mostly like the high profile stuff, particularly Gucci, Goyard, Chanel... sometimes LV. The older stuff usually catches her eye more than the modern stuff, though she still likes the occasional modern piece.

Sounds like Anouschka is where you need to go.

You can always take her to the LV flagship, just to see the Japanese tourists line out the door - it's a trip. All brands you mentioned have flagship stores in Paris as well (naturally). I think with the tax refund you should be able to save around 25-35% over US prices, so definitely bring your passport whereever you go. Paris department stores are nothing to speak of, strangely enough - there is no Barneys of Paris to speak off, trendier items are usually found in smaller stores like L'Eclarieur (sp?) and Maria Luisa.

what are her price points like? is she friendly? does she speak english ( i don't speak a word of french )

In general, people in Paris are friendlier if you speak French or at least make an effort - an enthousiastic 'bonjour monsieur/madame!' upon entry will do. My French is quite basic, so I usually smile and ask them if they speak English in French out of courtesy. They often reply with 'non' or 'little bit', but by then I have already broken the ice anyway and have at least taken the effort. By then they don't mind me speaking English and as a result (?) I have found found Parisiens to be friendly and helpful.

Considering Anouschka, I wouldn't worry too much about your French skills. The place is probably frequented by a lot of non-French speakers. I haven't compared prices (if possible with vintage clothing at all) but I'm guessing they're comparable to the other vintage stores in Paris like Didier Ludot. If you want to find cheaper vintage, you need to focus more on the flea markets but keep in mind that you also need a lot of time to know exactly where to go and what it is you're buying. Anouschka has all items categorized by designer and year/era. Worth a visit nonetheless.

By the way, I think there is another superfuture thread on vintage shopping in Paris somewhere.