Polo Ralph Lauren?

Guest freedomfighter

Their is an interesting article on this page explaining the whole early 90s Lo-Life thing. I actually worked this into a paper I was working on a few months back as an outside example of detournement while writing about the Situationists International. Ha.

I love how RL never officially acknowledged their urban cliental, yet Hilfiger bent over backwards to cater to the demographic when they saw how huge Polo was.

www.myspace.com/lolifes1988

Anyone have any first hand knowledge with this stuff? I was about 10 years old and nowhere near NY when this was blowing up.

07.jpg

11ggggg.jpg

09.jpg

i respect the brand's attempts to modernize with the slimmer, tailored black label line. although personally I strongly associate the brand (all of the polo lines) with older guys (30's and up) who are concerned with how they look but either don't have the time to develop a more unique style or just don't care looking like a guy straight out of a menswear catalog. the quality is usually good from what I've experienced although the socks and underwear you get for cheap from TJ maxx usually come with loose stitching and falls apart after a few wears. I'd avoid the XXL polo-sport techno-colored rugbys (with the white collars) unless you are going to a 90's dress up party.

personally i go for fred perry but i do love a vintage polo poloshirt, and i am trying to hunt down a good ralf lauren seersucker blazer, im not sure why but i love it and im not preppy at all. granted i did grow up with a decent amount of polo.

The older PRL sweatshirts are really awesome. RL seersucker is nothing special, but it's decent enough if you like the fit.

BTW the article about lo lifes was probably taken from a VGA (vintage gear addicts) article on them from a while back. Original spot-blowers right there. Maybe some of the booster club members know about this. Larry Bird maybe?