5EP goes the extra mile

LeicaLad

I've been wearing a pair of 5EP straight for about a year and a half. One wash. Color remains awesome, contrasting is coming on nicely. I should post pics, but I'm lazy.

"Will trade +rep for pics post". I'd love to see some shots of these (or any other worn 5EP) on this thread.

I did a measurement comparison of my Helmut Lang Classic Denim/Classic Cut and 5EP.

Both are W 30 and this is what I got.

Rise on HL is 10 and 5ep is 11.

Back Rise on HL is 16, and 5ep is also 16.

Thigh on HL is 11.5 and 5ep is 11.5

Other than an inch difference on the rise of 5EP, other measurements are the same.

Aurbrgene: Thanks for posting the comparative measurements. I guess it's why I like the 5EP -- I like a classic cut that is slightly tighter than the repros. It's another way of saying "repro inspired", but with an updated cut.

If someone could post the measurements of Helmut Lang's boot cut, that would be a good comparison, too. Thanks.

LL

i always wondered what happened to 5ep in the future. a year or two ago, they were highly regarded and many recommended/were buying them. i guess it has to do with the whole "japanese denim" thing.

oh well. nice post.

I don't understand: 5EP IS a Japanese denim. They use Japanese denim and they are fabricated in Japan.

So these go on sale sometimes? (A guy a couple of posts up got them $99) when and how often, I am already getting a pair of samurais 21ozs, and adriano fillmores(I know they are not selvedge or highly recommeded on this site but I like them) and thats already like $560 incl tax for just two pairs of jeans it might be hard to drop another $250-300 on 2 pairs of jeans.

im only 16 and my parents don't even know that I have spent over $200 on jeans before they would flip if they found out i spent $560 on those. I'll be in New york so any store there that anyone knows that sometimes sell these on sale druing July 2-27 would be a great help. Its just that these are like everyones favorties and are meant to be amazing quality and fits that I really want them but can only get them on sale..

LL, I'll post measurements for my HL bootcuts and classic bootcuts when I get a chance, they're definitely different from my HL classic cuts and 5ep in the legs. The rise is no problem for me in the 5ep, I just find the legs in the 5eps from the thigh down too fitted for my taste.

why is it that I was told in 5ep straight size 30 is the smallest size? I emailed 5EP directly

thats one place they didnt go the extra mile imo

-----------edit--------

looks like they changed some of the sizing, i saw 28 in the low boot on revolve clothing.. 9.25 inch opening for a 28 waist though?. damn

i've also been curious about the two people behind it...who are hitman and godmother?

is 5EP run by the yakuza? :rolleyes:

There’s a nice little piece on the brand and on Godmother at this link:

http://www.flashfilm.com/us/fashion/denim/fd0023_5ep.html

Personally, I can say that I have really enjoyed a long series of email exchanges with her. We’ve chatted about just about everything. As noted, her little boy and I share a first name, so that was part of what got it started – in addition to a pair of jeans. I just find it nice to support the budding brand and getting to know the people who are struggling to do something on their own. The fact that I like the jeans is, shall we say, serendipity. ;)

Just got mypair of 5EP low down boot cuts in the mail. I must concur that the denim is everything I've heard it is. Great color. I got the raws so they are quite stiff. Have not decided whether I will wear them as is or give them a soak. Very nicely understated. I for one love my jeans to be understated. Quality on these babies is top notch. So I guess I've been made.

why is it that I was told in 5ep straight size 30 is the smallest size? I emailed 5EP directly

thats one place they didnt go the extra mile imo

-----------edit--------

looks like they changed some of the sizing, i saw 28 in the low boot on revolve clothing.. 9.25 inch opening for a 28 waist though?. damn

The measurements on Revolve are wack (happens a fair bit - they have a ginormous inventory). I have a brand spanking new pair of size 29W, and the hem is 8.5" across - just measured it, twice...

FWIW, the new body that Godmother, Mauro (Denim Bar) and I are designing for the other SF, the limited run 5EP for Styleforum slim straight, will have a hem just under 8" for a size 32.

Anyway, Godmother is genuinely nice. Really laidback and easy to work with.

• 2 months later...

I want to buy a 5EP pair of staight legs from somone. hes not sure if they are resin but are one wash. Ive read the threads. Can someone quickly confirm that both the regular and resin waist will strectch out. This is because the tagged size is 1-2 down from my actual size. I dont want to get stuck with another pair of jeans if they wont strectch.

thanks appreciate the quick reply..as i want to jump on this sale

• 2 weeks later...

Godmother here..RESIN ONE WASH is the only dark rinsed jean we offer. We put a bit of Resin to help you " grow " your jean. The denim will strech apporx. 1/2" but it depends on ho long you wear without wash and climate. I wore a pair since March and it grew much more in the July heat. Our spec is not skinny. Meaning is not super slim. If you are interested try the new LOW DOWN SLIM 5EP / StyleForum collaboration.

As for who are Godmother & Hitman...please see the link from LeicaLad ( Hi Owen...long time no write...how's the fam ? Hi to LA GUY and congrats on the new baby...). Now that you know, you are now sworn to partake in the Denimafia.

So I will give a brief background. I have been designing / working on denim for 20+ years...worked for everyone...most notebaley cK, Diesel, and RRL. It was 1999 and I saw this Hank Williams album cover and like a light bulb wnet of and I saw picture clearly. Hitman is a motorcycle race mechanic and serves as house model & muse...He really pushed me to form the DENIMAFIA. So I turned 40, had a kid, and quit my job and the rest is history.....thanks much to all our " Made Men " ....clothes get made...people get made. As for 5EP being run by the yakuza...I know what you wear, I know what size....hey the don't call us the Denimafia for nothing....also check out the website www.5EP.com.

I will contact Revolve and aks them to update the site. We custom weave our denim in Japan and hand cut / sew in a very small factory just west of Osaka and wash them in Kojima. No submarine production ( cut / sewn and labelled somewhere else ).

If you have specific questions, please email me...I do answer all emails [email protected]

• 2 months later...

just noticed this (don't if it's old news)

5ep just came out with the resin lowdown boot in non-selvedge:

http://www.oaknyc.com/men/shop-by-brand/5ep/5ep-non-selvedge

I'm guessing the denim is nearly identical to the selvedge version, but the fact that it's not selvedge means the price can drop (quite a bit in this case). It's a pretty good price point, too... maybe I will check it out when money magically floats into my pocket one of these days :)

How about some longer inseams??

*hugs his 36 inch inseam SFx5EP*

Too bad all of the long ones are gone. Anyway, some of you folks should check them out. Great cut, and denim that puts a lot of the Japanese brands to shame. Here's a pic of me wearing mine when they were brand new.

092307.jpg

• 3 years later...