Changing Styles

Furion

I'm just graduating high school this year and I'm looking to change my style. First off, I live in an area almost devoid of style. Almost all the guys wear skateboarding clothes or preppy clothes or just plain don't care. Right now, I'm wearing pretty much everything. I've got A&F polos (I used to be a follower), Diesel jeans and shirts, Lacoste polos, American Eagle jeans and shirts, Threadless t-shirts, and a couple sweaters from small companies. Right now I've got $600 to spend and I live in Vancouver. I'm not really a skinny guy so I can't wear anything really tight and I'm 5'6. I'm willing to throw away all of it if need be so I'll take anyones suggestions.

Thanks.

btw, Sorry for the long post, I'm just desperate.

I'm just graduating high school this year and I'm looking to change my style. First off, I live in an area almost devoid of style. Almost all the guys wear skateboarding clothes or preppy clothes or just plain don't care. Right now, I'm wearing pretty much everything. I've got A&F polos (I used to be a follower), Diesel jeans and shirts, Lacoste polos, American Eagle jeans and shirts, Threadless t-shirts, and a couple sweaters from small companies. Right now I've got $600 to spend and I live in Vancouver. I'm not really a skinny guy so I can't wear anything really tight and I'm 5'6. I'm willing to throw away all of it if need be so I'll take anyones suggestions.

Thanks.

btw, Sorry for the long post, I'm just desperate.

Are you serious? there is a post almost identicle to this on this page!

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=28104

Just browse the freaking magazines, waywt, etc. and decide what look you're going after, then start buying shit that fits within that look. You're going to go through a lot of changes first several months, so don't buy everything right away.

There's also a lot of threads about Vancouver stores, just do a search.

Ditto on going back to the basics and I want to add that you should start thinking wholistically about your future style, otherwise that 660 will have been wasted after 7 month's time and you'll be back here searching the boards about how to spend that next 600. For me I would think about how that 600 dollars you have now can lay a foundation for a future of consistently good looking style that will adequately portray a part of who you are to the world. You will try to wear the clothing and not the other way around.

Again, these are just reiterating common sufu suggestions. Start with denim... try before buying... and you might want to think about a long term plan for style. Good ole denim is the one thing that won't go out of style, just like a good clean neutral fit... extreme fits will cycle every 4-8 years or so.

Things to think about when looking through other people's styles (in mags etc):

-silhouette

-what can you pull off, what are you comfortable with wearing now

-watch out for impulse buys (what will make you look like a clown in a year's time)

-make basic list of classic clothing essentials (types of jackets, shoes)

If you want a picture could help us help you on fit (or help us make judge you all the way to supertrash, beware).

if you are in van go to gastown. Pick up a pair of apc's at dutil, head to livestock or goodfoot buy yourself a good pair of van's or nikes, maybe pic up some tees , go to IE pick up some Pam and bang your set. 600 buck can go a long way. You can get away with the jeans, shoes, probably 3 tees and maybe a hoodie and still be left with some change. Booyah

Oh ya and maybe hit up AA to get some plain shit, like a cardigan and some blank tees.

Just wear what you like and what catches your attention on the racks. Try em on, if they look good buy em. Just be keen with how you want yout stuff to fit and like proportion and all that jizz.

Doesn't matter where you shop, it's what you pick, wear, and how you make the clothes work.